Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am forever fasinated that a lot of buyers are turned off by paint colors.

I am equally fasinated that buyers will often pay more for a place that is painted in colors that appeal to them.

For crying out loud, it's just paint.
Absolutely. I spend a lot of time with buyer clients saying, "It's just paint" when they love everything else about the house but don't like the colors. Usually by the third or fourth house they've learned the mantra for themselves, but some folks simply are unable to see past the paint to the quality of the house itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I didn't even notice the paint. Just how nice the house looked. I guess everyone is different.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
Quote:

I am equally fasinated that buyers will often pay more for a place that is painted in colors that appeal to them.

True, but also a fresh coat of paint makes the house look more fresh, updated and clean. I think the paint combined with the carpet, make the home less fresh looking. Also the home seems like 80s contemporary style. It's nice but I don't think it appeals to most.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:19 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Agreed on it being a beautiful house, but you need to think of your demographic target. The Canyon Lake wiki puts the median salary barely over $40k for the area which would put this house way out of range for the average family living around there...

It seems to be smack in between Austin and San Antonio with no obvious easy to commute to either. With its proximity to the Lake right there, wouldn't it be logical to market it more as a second/vacation/getaway home? If that's the intention, I don't get it just from reading the listing.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
I think it's beautiful. i would change some things, colors, etc. but that wouldnt deter me from buying. i think the realtors are right and many people seem to love it as is. i wouldnt change a thing!!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Agreed on it being a beautiful house, but you need to think of your demographic target. The Canyon Lake wiki puts the median salary barely over $40k for the area which would put this house way out of range for the average family living around there...

It seems to be smack in between Austin and San Antonio with no obvious easy to commute to either. With its proximity to the Lake right there, wouldn't it be logical to market it more as a second/vacation/getaway home? If that's the intention, I don't get it just from reading the listing.
That part of Texas is very popular with retirees. Many Texans -- retirees or families -- just love that part of the state. However, there are not many employment centers last I researched so families need to have income from non-local sources. That sure can put a crimp on selling houses quickly in that area. But, again, many Texans move to that area and live there permanently.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM

75 posts, read 173,606 times
Wow! What a helpful bunch of suggestions. Think I will remove blue striped wallpaper and paint that wall. We have a showing tomorrow a.m. so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Just found out there have been 11 closings in the past several months in the 200-250 range, so I am hopeful we will be there soon. Thanks for all your help. I go into Austin several times a week, down lovely backroads (totally avoiding the interstate), it's about 45 minutes. This is a popular area with Guadalupe River tubing and the lake, Gruene is 15 miles up the road. Think it's a matter of time, trying to breathe deeply and slowly.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I have to say again that the home is gorgeous. It has its own special appeal. Its unique.....interesting.
I love the patio, the upper deck........I love the curvature of the driveway and how it is nestled in.
The windows are lovely. This house calls my name. LOL
But, I don't live that way.
Where your buyer is I don't know..........that is so strange to me.
Because, yes........most of us know a $20 gallon or two of paint can change a color we dislike.
I love orange. I even have a funky orange chair and ottoman. ( the room is quite tan in a color we like called Comforting which changes in the light).......
Just that for some reason, my eyes go to the orange wall and not that nice fireplace.
I am looking at a home up our way who's walls are all wrong for me. But, I can look past that quickly.
Why is it so many can't.......
Yes, its only paint and painting is simple and quick.....
I am glad someone mentioned the striped wall paper. I didn't say anything and noticed it later.
Gosh, its just that so many buyers hate others wallpaper. No one seems to like anothers taste in that.
I have a lake about 15 min. from me too......huge lake. People don't seem to take heed of that...
Maybe it should be on the paperwork left in the home. Lately there is no paperwork left at the home...
for some odd reason.
Can I just say again, I love your home........I'm going to look at the pictures again!
Your buyer is out there......Maybe tomorrow? Crossing fingers............

Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
It's a beautiful house. There's a buyer for every home.

Quote:

Agreed. Do people have no imagination, or are they just lazy?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM

163 posts, read 452,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's a beautiful house. There's a buyer for every home.

Agreed. Do people have no imagination, or are they just lazy?
My vote is lazy.

Personally, when we're ready to buy I'm hoping we can find something as beautifully "dated" as this home languishing on the market because I would scoop it up in a heartbeat. It's got character and coziness and privacy and is move-in ready. Painting and countertops are relatively cheap and easy to change and can be done whenever it's convenient.

If I were in Texas I'd be looking at your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate