Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times

Advertisements

In my state, we have open enrollment.

A parent can send their kid to any school in the state.
The parent still pays the real estate tax to the school of the parents residence, but the state aid per pupil ( $5,000+ per year) follows the student to the school they attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In my state, we have open enrollment.

A parent can send their kid to any school in the state.
The parent still pays the real estate tax to the school of the parents residence, but the state aid per pupil ( $5,000+ per year) follows the student to the school they attend.
That's interesting, which state is this?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That's interesting, which state is this?

Minnesota

In the 80's, when Governor Rudy Perpich first started it, I was solidly against it.

I have done a "180" since then and solidly support it now.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:10 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Minnesota

In the 80's, when Governor Rudy Perpich first started it, I was solidly against it.

I have done a "180" since then and solidly support it now.
I wish all the schools in the US were like that... I bet it would create a LOT of unhappy teachers who can't teach worth crap but you can't transfer your student out either... I remember a family wanting to send their kids to a better school but the school wouldn't let them...

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
At least down here in Central Florida, it is very easy to tell when you're no longer in an incorporated area. Aside from all the little things changing, like street signs and road quality, everything suddenly looks dumpier.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
At least down here in Central Florida, it is very easy to tell when you're no longer in an incorporated area. Aside from all the little things changing, like street signs and road quality, everything suddenly looks dumpier.
Maybe in your county but not in mine

Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Is unincorporated towns , or areas for sale? Can I buy this?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaoftwos View Post
Is unincorporated towns , or areas for sale? Can I buy this?
If you are asking if you can buy property in unincorporated areas of a State, then yes. The property is just not within the legal boundaries of a city or town.

Consequently you may not have any city services (water, sewer, county sheriff; not city police, volunteer fire dept; not paid, etc etc).

Most states have unincorporated areas. One exception is Connecticut. No counties, its 169 towns cover the entire state.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That's why I favor unincorporated lands next to large cities... the only issue is they city might "annex" them and force them to be incorporated into the city and make everyone pay larger taxes... Also, I think I should mention that in most places, if you are not incorporated into the city, your kids won't be able to attend the public city schools, they will likely go to public county schools... If schools are important, you might want to check on that issue (there are waivers of course, but those are hard to come by)...
In Alaska the schools are operated by the borough, so it doesn't matter if you live inside the city limits or in the unincorporated areas. If you live in the unorganized borough the schools are operated by the state. There are also no property taxes in the unorganized borough.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:20 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Where I live in VA, living in an incorporated town means you will pay both county and town real estate taxes. That doesn't necessarily get you any more services either. The incorporated town nearest to me has their own volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad, 3 person jail, Sheriff's Department, and their own town water and sewer service, but so does out county seat, which is unincorporated. The county seat also has the local courts, which serve that nearest incorporated town. It's a pretty wacky system for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate