U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 PM

67 posts, read 90,908 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I see a list of unincorporated towns..not just in TN but other states as well. What exactly does that mean? Does the homeowner pay taxes or not? Does the unicorporated town sit in limbo or does it have a name? Why is a town unicorporated?? What makes it unincorporated? Can an unincorporated town be annexed by another town/city? Does the town have a mayor, town hall, polic/fire dept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,085,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastaBell View Post
Sometimes I see a list of unincorporated towns..not just in TN but other states as well. What exactly does that mean? Does the homeowner pay taxes or not? Does the unicorporated town sit in limbo or does it have a name? Why is a town unicorporated?? What makes it unincorporated? Can an unincorporated town be annexed by another town/city? Does the town have a mayor, town hall, polic/fire dept?
The homeowner does not pay city taxes since an unincorporated town does not have a government to support.

A town is unincorporated because it is either two small to incorporate or there is no movement to incorporate.

It's lack of city government and legal standing make it unincorporated. So, no it does not have a mayor, town hall, etc. although many unincorporated towns have volunteer fire departments. Services are provided by the county.

An unincorporated town may be annexed by another city. Although, citizens will have the right to protest the annexation.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 AM

10,653 posts, read 6,544,858 times
It's an outskirts, likely rural area of an incorperated town. Like mentioned you don't pay city taxes, but at the expensive of not having public water/sewage, no local fire department (volunteer if you're lucky) and no local police (the county would have to send someone out if needed)

Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 11,356,826 times
Many states have large unincorporated areas but will still have all the same services as the cities in the area. Some counties in Florida will have one or two small areas that incorporated into cities and have their own mayor and such but still use county water, sewer, sheriff, fire dept., etc. The cities may only be a small percentage of the overall population of the county. My county for example has about 9000 people out of 180,000 living within incorporated areas. That would mean that 95% of the county is unincorporated.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:33 AM

6,175 posts, read 11,595,668 times
My county has only one incorporated city. The rest of the county is governed by the county government. We have half a dozen townsites that were established during the goldrush times.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 AM

4,669 posts, read 8,634,129 times
I live in an unincorporated area that's had paid fire service for a good 20+ years at this point. Original developer had to pay to run water/sewer lines out here for his 3,000+ lot development and we have county water/sewer services. We also do have a special taxing district to handle common area landscaping issues (no development-wide HOA at the time the area was developed, and the tax district is a lot more limited in its power than a new development-wide HOA would be under Florida law, and we like those limited powers) and the tax district board also unofficially serves as a point of contact when the county or state DOT wants to do something out here that would be of concern to residents. Because of the tax district board, we managed to get a proposed toll road shifted a half mile eastward to a location not as well-organized as we were about it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 AM

11,853 posts, read 11,509,554 times
I prefer unincorpation because you pay less property taxes (not no taxes)... some of these unincorporated areas are like literally right next to the city... The difference in my place is about 8 mills from unincorporated to a regular incorporated city... so a 300,000 home would save about 2.4k in property taxes... you live there ten years, potentially saving you 24k+ in property taxes (more taxes if property gains in value) if fully assessed.. that's a lot of money to throw away for very little in return... I haven't notice any "extras" in having an incorporated city... although I do like the many restaurants and businesses in the city, its only about a 5 minute drive to it while I pay less taxes... its ironic if you consider it would take 10 minutes for residents of the incorporated city to get there if they live on the other side of town and they pay more taxes...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM

16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
There are thousands of unincorporated towns, many (maybe most) of them not near larger cities. As said, they have no city government, the fire department is likely a volunteer one supported with fundraisers, donations, and maybe grants, what regulations there are are county regulations, there may or may not be a post office, there likely will be a school or schools and, yes, they do have names. But if you drove through one, you'd just think small town - there's no real way to tell by looking if a town is incorporated or not. At some point, due to threat of being annexed by a larger town or city or because someone thinks it would be beneficial (it isn't always, sometimes it's beneficial to the people pushing it but not to the rest of the citizens), an unincorporated community will become incorporated, jumping through whatever hoops their state has in place for that process.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM

20,019 posts, read 14,400,856 times
There are lots of unincorporated areas in my neck of the woods. Property taxes are a smidge less than in incorporated areas due to an absence of administrative stuff, like a zoning board, mayor and such.

Housing in these areas tends to be inconsistent. A Mc manasion here and run down shack there with 7 beaters and a truck parked on the property, next to a llama farm.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM

67 posts, read 90,908 times
ok so when you sell your property is there a "pay up" for living in an unincorporated area?

Also, if I were to live in an unicorporated area, would I pay more for services such as water/sewer if the lines are there?

Do you have less "say" about what type of neighborhood you end up in like what middle age mom was mentioning?

Last edited by ShastaBell; 06-11-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate