Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 8,964 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are selling our home. We've done all the typical things such as declutter, depersonlize, and online postings. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions as to innovative ways to get the word out about your home being for sale? Our agent has contacted other agents with incentives. Just didn't know if there was more we could do to be proactive -post listing at stores, businesses... Or if there were companies you know of that buy real estate for their relocated employees.

HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM

792 posts, read 4,480,813 times
three tips for a quick sale:
1. be on MLS (I assume you are if you have a selling agent)
2. make sure the pictures are good. some agents are good at taking pictures, some aren't.
3. price your house slightly under the comps

Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM

13 posts, read 29,312 times
I know this isn't suggestion about getting the word out....but I did this after my last agent suggested it...and I thought it was a nice and different touch....I place bottled water..and some canned cokes out in a nice iced bucket...(like I would for a dinner party...but on a small scale...I would put out 3 or 4 bottles or cans.) Next to it I placed some extra info. on the house...and a "Thanks for considering this home" sign. This was a suggestion by my agent...she said it would make my home...stand out...don't know if it worked...my home did sell...but not in any record time

Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,893,300 times
If you have one of those boxes in your front yard with brochures about your house, make sure to replenish it. I can't tell you how many houses I have first tried to check out on a drive by, only to find the box was completely empty and no info was available. i'd rather they just didn't have a box if they're not serious about it. Little irritations turn buyers off . . .

Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM

4,484 posts, read 9,267,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klittlekk View Post
I know this isn't suggestion about getting the word out....but I did this after my last agent suggested it...and I thought it was a nice and different touch....I place bottled water..and some canned cokes out in a nice iced bucket...(like I would for a dinner party...but on a small scale...I would put out 3 or 4 bottles or cans.) Next to it I placed some extra info. on the house...and a "Thanks for considering this home" sign. This was a suggestion by my agent...she said it would make my home...stand out...don't know if it worked...my home did sell...but not in any record time
I looked at a house where water and candy were put out. I enjoyed the candy but did not buy the house.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM

292 posts, read 818,615 times
Aren't you paying an agent to come up with these ideas?!

If you are on the MLS and you aren't getting traffic, you need to take an objective look at the listing - is the photography good? Does it give a good sense of the flow of the house?

Do you have any funky decorating schemes going on (be honest with yourself here)?

If you are getting showing but no offers, your agent needs to be more proactive about getting feedback and then be honest with you about that feedback. Maybe there are smells you don't notice, maybe your neighbors dog barks all day long, etc - you get the picture.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,859,921 times
ask your agent for a brain storming session with their boss and any colleagues available in the office to review the current sales approach to make sure it is as professional as possible and if they have any better ideas to get your house moving - after all you are paying them generously to do exactly this. The meeting should take place in your house so that the other agents can give fact based opinions on decor, landscaping, curb apeal and price.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,298,938 times
Your agent should have anough experience to know what to do. You should just relax and watch what happens. You don't want to get in your own way if you know what I mean?

But...here are some things

MLS. I would imagine you are on it.
Online postings...EVERYWHERE. When we list a house at my office we post to a dozen sites or so.
Create own home website.
Have open houses.
Have a brokers open.
Make sure brochures are outside on your sign in a box.
Have brochures inside with additional information.
Use social media: facebook, twitter, etc.
Maybe have an ad in the paper. Maybe even the cover of a real estate magazine if your area has one
Tell everyone you know just in case they may know someone

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,602,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillawyer14 View Post
Hi,

Or if there were companies you know of that buy real estate for their relocated employees. HELP!!
Companies do not buy homes for relocated employees. A sponsoring employer may assist with some of the closing costs associated with a relocated employee's aquisition of a new home.

The buyers make the decision on which house they like and can afford to buy. Many inbound relo families are increasingly renting because they have not been able to sell their prior home.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,375,554 times
Well, I assume you know this already, but when you have a showing, turn on all the lights and play soft music...I even lit a scented jar candle (pumpkin or something)....not sure if that's a fire hazard, but the buyers of my last condo said that lit candle was the thing that sold my place. I know it might not be practical if you're out all day (at least the candle part), but I would definitely leave the lights and music on if I knew a showing was coming that day. As a buyer, I don't like walking into a dark house and having the agent run into all the rooms and turn on the lights. Then, after I've looked at a room, he turns them off....like, I'm not going back in that room to take a second look? Anyway, those little touches show me the seller is really serious about wanting to sell by making the home look attractive and welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate