Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

TX, I help about 8-15 people build homes a year. I know the answers to questions you'll never know to ask. A good agent who knows new construction will improve your home at least 30% better than you but you'll never know about it unless you have a good agent helping you.

Did you know that in FW there are 3 builders you should always avoid, about 15 that are mediocre at best and probably 3 in your price range that you want to build you a home. A good agent can give you the names of these builders so you pick a good one and avoid the very bad ones.

The hardest part for you is not deciding if you need an agent but interviewing and selecting the right agent who will add value to your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Totally correct.

Let me put this in another light. Whenever I have a buyer that is going to be the second owner of that house, the inpectors usually unearth all sorts of stuff that should have been done while being built, but was not. We are talking building code stuff. I always know then that the original owner bought without representation (because the sales rep was so nice!). Guess who gets to pay for having the house corrected? Hint: the builder is long gone - guess again.
That's back to the "good builder" vs "bad builder" again. Even if someone we are building a house for doesn't have their own agent, we strongly suggest they should have a home inspection. Every builder misses something on occasion, and a good builder recognizes that. For example, we've had a couple of homes where the insulator didn't go back in to blow the insulation in the attic. That is a problem that will strongly effect heating and cooling bills and the ability to keep your house a reasonable temperature. The owners built themselves a house a few years ago, and they even had an inspection on it.

I revise my original statement. It originally read I vote "Get an agent" with the qualifier "who is experienced in new construction projects/contracts". To that, I need to add "in your area", for the reason Rakin mentioned. You need someone who can tell you that "Builder X has filed bankruptcy and changed names 3 times in the past, leaving his buyers with tens of thousands of dollars in liens against their houses" (we had someone do this in our area), as well as things like "Subdivision Y was built in an area with too high of a water table, and half the houses have had major water in the crawl spaces."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate