Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Right, but the land I have is just vacant, raw land, not for any kind of residential use. Not yet, anyway.

Another reason why I'm looking into it is the possibility of zoning. In the particular county in which the land is located, (I need to read the regs. more closely) the land is zoned as "range land" and I believe there is a reg. stating that one residential building is allowed per 9 acres. Something like that.

I was thinking that if I combine the 26 acres, I will definitely be on the safe side on having enough acreage to build.

"range land " allows a house every 9 acres?

Heck, in our ag land classification, there can only be a house every 40 acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Right, but the land I have is just vacant, raw land, not for any kind of residential use. Not yet, anyway.

Another reason why I'm looking into it is the possibility of zoning. In the particular county in which the land is located, (I need to read the regs. more closely) the land is zoned as "range land" and I believe there is a reg. stating that one residential building is allowed per 9 acres. Something like that.

I was thinking that if I combine the 26 acres, I will definitely be on the safe side on having enough acreage to build.
Are you in an incorporated area or subject to a local city's ETJ? Zoning in Texas is typically a function of cities, not counties. "Range" land or "agricultural" land, when out of incoporated areas, usually imply some sort of exemption from property taxes. If and when you build a house on the acreage, you will lose the exemption on the house and 1 acre of land that it sits on.

I also have land in East Texas. I bought 3 adjoining parcels from the same owner. When I bought it, I had it surveyed, and when the survey was filed, the county and the local appraisal district then considered it a single parcel and it was renamed as such. Went from being parcels 12, 13, and 14 to parcel 12A. I didn't have to ask; it was done automatically.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:48 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Let me just say real quick that this land isn't in Texas.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Sounds like you are quite an experienced land buyer( 2nd paragraph) , yet you have to come here asking questions ?
Well, I don't know everything about real estate/land purchasing, etc. There's always something to learn, especially in this field. This particular situation (combining multiple parcels of land) is something I've never dealt with before.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
"range land " allows a house every 9 acres?

Heck, in our ag land classification, there can only be a house every 40 acres.
Interesting. There are 50 states and hundreds of counties in the US. Each have their own ways of doing things.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Let me just say real quick that this land isn't in Texas.
You should have mentioned that, since most laws relating to real estate are subject to state laws, and different states will have different laws and regulations relating to combining two sections of land into 1 for property tax purposes. Your profile states "East Texas". If you tell us the state, someone may be able to answer your question more accurately.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
You should have mentioned that, since most laws relating to real estate are subject to state laws, and different states will have different laws and regulations relating to combining two sections of land into 1 for property tax purposes. Your profile states "East Texas". If you tell us the state, someone may be able to answer your question more accurately.
I'm in correspondence with the county that this land is in, so to be honest with you, this thread doesn't really matter anymore.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,616 times
Is there a form you use to combine land parcels

Old 06-13-2015, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,590 times
Pennsylvania property owner needs to combine two small adjacent parcels, and also to add her daughter's name to the deed as co-owner so that the daughter will become owner when the present owner dies. Can this be done by filing a new deed that combines the properties AND adds the daughter as owner?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drymar View Post
Pennsylvania property owner needs to combine two small adjacent parcels, and also to add her daughter's name to the deed as co-owner so that the daughter will become owner when the present owner dies. Can this be done by filing a new deed that combines the properties AND adds the daughter as owner?
Two parcels can be conveyed in one Deed but including them in the Deed does not automatically combine the parcels--they remain separate parcels. There is a local process to combine parcels, so start out by contacting the local assessor's office to find out about it. If they don't handle it, they can direct you to the appropriate office. However, depending on the reasons for doing so, combining the parcels may not be a good idea.

Adding a daughter to the Deed could have adverse tax consequences to the daughter (she would not benefit from a stepped-up basis in the property) and it could also potentially incur gift taxes to the grantor. It's best to work through an estate planning attorney to come up with a complete succession plan for all assets, not just for these two parcels. I would recommend looking into setting up a Revocable Living Trust as a means of transferring assets and avoiding probate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate