Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:19 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times

Advertisements

I own two 13 acres right next to each other that can be combined to 26 acres. How do I go about "combining" the two parcels? Is it a real involved thing to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Suggest you contact your county assessor's office.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Suggest you contact your county assessor's office.
Right. That's what I plan on doing.

However, I just wanted some insight before I go about doing it. Like what's this procedure called? Is there a name for this just like how the opposite is called "subdividing." Is there normally a fee?

Stuff like that...

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I had a customer do this years ago.......her seller had two parcels and with the county's blessing two lots were put on one deed so she could get one loan. She never thought she would want to split them.....then came the recession......her value on her home has dropped......she wants to sell the extra lot to raise some cash.....not going to happen. No way will the bank let anything happen to the value of their collateral.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
There is NO benefit to combining 2 parcels together.

In my area the name for the process is called a boundary line adjustment.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I own two 13 acres right next to each other that can be combined to 26 acres. How do I go about "combining" the two parcels? Is it a real involved thing to do?
Why would you want to combine the 2? You might want to sell 1 parcel someday. The county will probably jump to let you combine and fight to allow you to re-separate.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
There are some benefits and some drawbacks dependent upon the area. I combined my 2 parcels because then it is all covered under homestead exemption for taxes. While this is not an issue now since values are down it would have cost me a lot more in taxes a few years back.

Just make sure when you combine them that the county will allow you to split them again later. You never know what will pop up that you want to get rid of one.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
we call it a "parcel consolidation"

the only thing i can think of, is that in some jurisdictions, you have a stormwater fee that is based on impervious surface per parcel. this method is common in cities in NC and SC, i don't know about Texas.

by consolidating or splitting parcels, you could potentially be consolidating or splitting parcel-based fees. but that is rare, and limited to certain areas.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Here in Texas there is no real benefit I can see to combining the two parcels. If you do that you would be required to create new surveys, deeds, potentially have issues with any existing mortgages, right of ways if they bound the two parcels, tax consequences if you have Ag or other special exemptions on them, etc., etc. As others have pointed out you might want to in the future sell off one of the current 13 acres and have to repeat the whole process all over again just to split them.

Did you have a specific reason for wanting to combine the two?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
In my area combining two 13 acre parcels in to one could potentiality save a person a load in taxes. In my area you don't even have to adjust the boundary line you simply request the adjoined parcels be put under one parcel # if you are in the county. If any grandfathered issues exist on lot sizes in the county adjoining them may require them to remain combined or non-granfathered changes/restrictions/covenants can come in to play (h20,septic rules, setbacks, min. acreage density to build etc. may change if the county rules had changed) - I have also seen covenants restrict from combined parcels from being re-split since varying density options can affect subdivision values. So short version look into all the details of your area to find out the pros and cons and be sure to find out if/how it affects the future use!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate