Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 PM

262 posts, read 650,306 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading the HGTV thread, and someone said something about buyers looking for the "trifecta" - hard woods, granite, and stainless steel.

I pose this question - what's about to change in this trifecta? Surely, these things won't be popular forever.

Do you think stainless will be out? Or what?

Will doggie doors make a comeback???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
I don't see any excitement about "media rooms" anymore. Whenever I show a home with one, you can tell the buyer is thinking "but what canI really use it for?" Appears to be going the way of the formal living room.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:56 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
I predict "volume ceilings" and "open floor plans" will fall into disfavor as people realize they're lousy for controlling the temperature in a home economically.

Granite and stainless steel are so ubiquitous they have to go out of style. Hardwood floors are functional and timeless, so they have a better chance of holding up.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
How often do people actually use (but may score high on market research):

Double ovens
Backyard fireplace
Formal dining room
Formal living room, if there is a family room or great room
Sitting room in master bedroom
Backyard Gazebo
Media Room
Indoor gym
Loft (if you don't have a kids area there)
Library
Wine cellar
Second kitchen in basement

Old 06-30-2010, 06:30 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Man, I'd kill for double ovens ... And I use my formal dining room almost every day. If I had a backyard fireplace, a backyard gazebo, or an indoor gym, I'd use that every day, too.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I think the really high vaulted ceilings, while nice to llok at are just a waste of air space, heating and cooling wise. Also they would have to be professionally painted since they require bigger ladders than most average homeowners can store. I love to paint so i would never want 2 story ceilings, I would find them annoying.

.........and what is this man-cave crap already????????

Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Double ovens
Backyard fireplace
Formal dining room
Formal living room, if there is a family room or great room
Backyard Gazebo
Media Room
Indoor gym
Loft (if you don't have a kids area there)
Library
Wine cellar

yes, I am in agreement with you.

I think the"wine cellar" or even a "wine cooler", (isn't that what us poor folks call refridgerator)??? oh yeah, real necessary...

-my media room is my living room
-my bookshelves is my library
-master bedroom, I just call it a bedroom
-I have a gym membership, dont need one at home
-double oven, ugh, seriously 1 is enough...unless of course a person really does enjoy cooking, which i do not....but i do like to eat someone elses cooking....so I have to give that a maybe lol

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Now that I think about it, I do have double ovens! The one in the stove, and the toaster oven.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Granite is pretty functional. I can't see it really going out of style.
I also don't see open floor plans or formal dining rooms going out of style anytime soon either.

Sitting room in the bedroom is one I never liked. That's what the rest of my house is for.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:

Double ovens
Quote:

I don't like double ovens. What a house really needs is a LARGE oven, not two small ones.

Backyard fireplace-These are not popular here.

Formal dining room
-We use ours as a music room. We have our piano, guitars, drums, and other music making stuff in the dining room. We have a separate eating area in the kitchen and two dining tables on our patio. How many places do you need to eat?

Formal living room, if there is a family room or great room-We use our living room. It's quiet in there and an nice place to read but we really could live without a formal living room.

-We use ours all the time (daily). We have a nice leather sofa and a tv there.

Backyard Gazebo-We don't have one now but the house we are buying has two Tiki Huts. I am sure we will use these as they provide shade right next to the pool.

Media Room-We converted our family room to a media room. We use it every day. It's a fabulous family tv area. We watch the NFL as a family every Sunday. This is the best room in the house. Our new house will have a huge media room. It doesn't need to be quite as large as it is but we use the media room all the time.

Indoor gym
-My son uses this a few times a week. He likes that he doesn't have to leave the house to work out. He has his stuff set up in his room. In the new house we will give him some garage space.

Loft (if you don't have a kids area there)-We don't have this but we do have an upstairs family room that the kids use. We also have our office stuff in there. I am looking forward to having a dedicated office.

Library-Our new house has a dedicated office. I will use this room. I give voice lessons at home, my husband has his own practice. We both use the office stuff frequently. If I had to choose between a home office and a living room I would choose an office.

Wine cellar-
We would never use this if we had it. We are beer people. We are going to put a beer fridge in the media room in the new house.

-We don't have basements here in FL. But people do have summer kitchens in addition to their indoor kitchens and they get used all the time.

I really think that different people live differently. Most of your list contains features that I really like.

Last edited by Marka; 07-04-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate