Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 74,228 times

Advertisements

Trying to sell my 30 year old house that I've lived in for almost 8.5 years, and prospective buyer is requesting all items found on home inspection report be repaired:

1) New front door - just needs painting; don't agree
2) Reconnect exhaust fan vent pipe in attic - the pipe has fallen; will fix
To be repaired by licensed plumber:
3) Replace front hose faucet/bib - functions just fine; don't agree
4) Install sump pump to remove standing water in sump pit - there has never been a sump pump in this house, and there is some water in the sump pit, but there have never been any water or flood issues; don't agree
5) Correct negative slope of waste line off pedestal sink - I installed this sink during remodel, and agree since this has been brought to my attention; will fix
6) Secure a toliet - want to correct myself, not with plumber, just needs a little tightening
7) Repair dishwasher hose to prevent dirty water from flowing back in (needs high loop) - want to correct myself, not with plumber
8) install trap on clothes washer waste line - this wasn't an issue when I bought and did my inspection; all is in good working condition; don't agree
To be repaired by licensed electrician:
9) Install GFCI outlet in kitchen - want to correct myself, not with electrician

I have renovated my house beautifully, and have maintained it well. I don't think I should have to rebuild the house to sell it. The plumbing works very well, and I've never had any leaks or plumbing issues. I already passed for radon testing too.

It's interesting to note that the buyer left on military assignment for a month just before the inspection, so she wasn't present for it. I think the buyer signed a blank repair addendum before leaving and her agent added everything on the inspection report to the addendum. Buyer is supposed to be away for a month, and requested to change the closing date to later date before leaving, which I verbally agreed to. The buyer's agent still hasn't submitted an addendum to correct the settlement date probably because the buyer is not available to sign, not sure why with technology though; and, it doesn't seem like she gave power of attorney to anyone. I'm trying to move cross-country, and don't want to make $2500 in repairs with plumbers/electricians for a potential buyer who could back-out of the deal still and mostly because I don't think she is entitled to all the items on the list. I technically have 19 days before closing at this point, and haven't told my company that I'm leaving because there are still contingencies, and I don't want to put my job on the line until all contingencies are removed. I still haven't planned a rental apt where I'm moving, and I haven't planned the actual move because all of this is still up in the air. If the closing date gets changed to later, I will be in better shape for my move. However this military buyer is not being respectful of my time. Better yet the buyer's agent started bullying and threatening my agent verbally for no apparent reason and it's only escalating! I never wanted to sell my house like this with fighting, legal threats between agents, etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!!! I have a really pretty house that I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into, and everything is in good condition. Just because an inspector found something to write-up doesn't mean the seller must correct. Something doesn't feel right to me with this buyer and her agent though. Is all of this fair???? Please help!!!!

Last edited by robi10s; 07-11-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
The buyer isn't taking advantage of you. They make a request. You respond. Tell them what you are willing to fix and what you aren't willing to fix.

And wanting items fixed by licensed professionals is pretty common. The buyer wants the items fixed correctly. They have no idea what your skill is in those areas.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Everything the buyer requested on that list (with the exception of the new front door) is totally normal in my market. I have never had a buyer allow a seller to do plumbing or electrical installations. While you may be competent they have no way of knowing.

Unless there really is something wrong with the front door, those would all be considered reasonable requests out here.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to offer cash at closing instead of doing the repairs? I already told the buyer what I would do, but the buyer's agent is re-requesting the same items- I think that's because the buyer is unavailable on military assignment for 1 month. I'm a first time seller, selling to a first time buyer. The sump pit was part of the original contract in my opinion. The buyer knew there wasn't one, and none of the houses in my neighborhood have them. The buyer can't have everything!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
Hi robi10s,
Making an allowance for repairs may be possible: ask your agent. I don't see anything extraordinary with the requests personally,but, if you don't agree, you don't agree; that is your choice. You can try to negotiate some items off the list can't you? You may have to concede some or all of the items if you want to proceed, its ok to negotiate first if you can. Don't worry about the other agent's behavior! Getting emotional is setting yourself up for some bad decision making. Just step back, get your business-like hat on and march through this thing!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
All the best to you; rest easy on it. I have a feeling everything will be OK!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi10s View Post
Trying to sell my 30 year old house that I've lived in for almost 8.5 years, and prospective buyer is requesting all items found on home inspection report be repaired:

1) New front door - just needs painting; don't agree
Unless the door is broken or the paint is peeling or bubbling, I would turn them down on that one.

Quote:
2) Reconnect exhaust fan vent pipe in attic - the pipe has fallen; will fix
To be repaired by licensed plumber:
3) Replace front hose faucet/bib - functions just fine; don't agree
#2 is reasonable and so is #3. How much could it possibly cost? Is it worth losing the sale over?

Quote:
4) Install sump pump to remove standing water in sump pit - there has never been a sump pump in this house, and there is some water in the sump pit, but there have never been any water or flood issues; don't agree
If I was buying a house this alone would be a deal-breaker for me. At least have an estimate done.

Quote:
5) Correct negative slope of waste line off pedestal sink - I installed this sink during remodel, and agree since this has been brought to my attention; will fix
6) Secure a toliet - want to correct myself, not with plumber, just needs a little tightening
7) Repair dishwasher hose to prevent dirty water from flowing back in (needs high loop) - want to correct myself, not with plumber
8) install trap on clothes washer waste line - this wasn't an issue when I bought and did my inspection; all is in good working condition; don't agree
Have ALL of this work done by a licensed plumber.

Quote:
To be repaired by licensed electrician:
9) Install GFCI outlet in kitchen - want to correct myself, not with electrician
No. Get an electrician to do it. GFCI outlets are code-required in "wet" areas in this city. I know how to install GFCIs too and if you knew how to do it as well, you should have done it ages ago (i.e. before putting your house on the market); the inspector would have tested the outlet, it would have passed, and it would not have been an issue. Chalk that one up to negligence on your part and have the work done by an electrician.

Quote:
I have renovated my house beautifully, and have maintained it well. I don't think I should have to rebuild the house to sell it. The plumbing works very well, and I've never had any leaks or plumbing issues. I already passed for radon testing too.
I don't see any unreasonable requests on that list.

Quote:
Just because an inspector found something to write-up doesn't mean the seller must correct. Something doesn't feel right to me with this buyer and her agent though. Is all of this fair???? Please help!!!!
It doesn't mean you HAVE to correct. However if this sale falls through and you find another buyer who is to say that you won't see these same requests over and over? No offense but I think you are being a bit petty. You would have hated me if you had seen my list of requested repairs.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I don't see anything unreasonable on that list. I too want licensed professionals making the repairs. You never know what you'll get with a DIY and if there is a problem, I want someone with insurance -licensed professional.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
How's the buyer financing coming along?
Has the place been appraised yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate