U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM

151 posts, read 344,239 times

Advertisements

I've been working with a realtor for a yr now. To the point where he's shown me inside at least 6 or 7 homes, and given me info about lots of others. Still, I' haven't bought yet--but I'm close--closer than i've been in 5 yrs. So I'm almost to the point of putting in a bid on a house I looked at today, but I want to look again at one that just came back on the market after it was pending for awhile (not sure why it was pending, then not...)... Just to make sure that the current house I'm looking at will be a decision I'll be ultimately happy with--also, just in case owner doesn't take my (much lower than asking price) bid. (House that just came back on the market is priced 100K cheaper than #2). I think that in the long run, I'd be happier with the house I'm currently looking at; but it's going to take a whole lot of elbow grease, contractors, and about 10K more than I pay to begin with, to get it to be where I need it to be. The house that just came back on the market, well, it's smaller, it's got 2 neighbors breathing down its neck (albeit it is a corner lot) and aesthetically it's not so fabulous--BUT inside, it's set up more the way I need it to be than the today's looked-at house is. Well. After all that mishmash of thought (didn't I read that buying a house is as stressful as getting married, getting divorced, and the death of a family member?), what i"m wondering is this....I feel like I'm being a pain in the butt to my realtor, what with asking him about this, and asking him to show me that...can I have the listing agent of the house-back-on-the-market show me that house, but if I decide to bid on that one, go with my own realtor? IF I haven't lost anybody yet, and you're still with me....I will greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,195,013 times
Do you have a signed agency agreement with the agent with whom you've been working?

Is the Realtor with whom you've been working the list agent (Seller's agent) for this property?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM

2,270 posts, read 5,738,990 times
Your agent's job is to show you houses. The selling agent will ask you if you are already working with someone anyway -- they do not want to step on anyone's toes.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:38 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
You are way overthinking it. Ask your current realtor to show you the house. And for the record a lot of people will see 6 or 7 homes in 1 or 2 days, not a year. So I don't think you are being a pain.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:45 PM

933 posts, read 3,119,513 times
Just ask your current realtor to show you the house.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 PM

7,192 posts, read 17,775,034 times
If you call the listing agent to show you the house, and then submit an offer with another agent, the listing agent can go after the commission with something called procuring cause. Procuring cause is what determines who gets paid, not a buyer's rep agreement. You might owe your agent cash out of pocket if the listing agent is the procuring cause of the sale.

Just call your agent. I showed 7 houses to a couple today, and we're looking at 3 more tomorrow. 7 in one year is a joke... that typically is a sign of a not-so-serious buyer, but you've already admitted to that.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
Good grief. If you had been working with someone for a year and then they didn't buy from you, would you feel ... used??? I have read nothing about any dissatisfaction you have had with the agent you have been using for a year. So why would you dump him/her?

Yes, if you have not signed any type of buyers agreement you have a legal right to throw him under the bus. If you do you will have no repsentation - no one one on your side. If I were the listing agent - I'd love it. My seller would do very well in this transaction. Good luck to you.

You might consider the standard of your own ethics. If the agent you have been using has been dishonest, disrespectful or has failed you - drop him like a rock. But if he has filled your requests and has been honorable - you should be, too.

In business, you will never be sorry you did the right thing.
Unless I read it wrong, the OP had no intention of not using their existing agent to buy. The question was if they had another agent show them a house and then use the first agent to buy.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you have a signed agency agreement with the agent with whom you've been working?

Is the Realtor with whom you've been working the list agent (Seller's agent) for this property?
If he doesn't that's one stupid agent

Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 PM

21 posts, read 61,360 times
If an agent has been giving you satisfactory Real Estate services for over a year by showing you houses, complying with your wishes, providing information, updating relevant topics and donating quality time without the benefit of an upfront fee; WHY would you risk the possibility of cheating this Agent out of his/her well earned commission?

Agents only make money when the Deal is Sealed and as I am learning the hard way, Some of them pick up a check: But most of them earn every penny dealing with Clients, Title Co., Inspectors, Banks and doing the job of the other Agent!!

Call your Realtor to view the property!! So as not to cause any issue with his commission, he stuck it out with you this far and I am sure he has a vested interest in closing the deal!

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM

20,410 posts, read 37,792,946 times
OP, I appreciate your obvious concern for your buyer's agent. If you've only looked at 6 or 7 houses in a year, trust me, you are NOT being a pain! (My record with one buyer was 37 properties in 5 counties in 3-1/2 days, which IS extreme but it was a unique situation and I was more than happy to do it in that case because we had to get his wife settled before he shipped BACK out to Iraq.) Six or 7 in a day is pretty normal. (More than six in a day and I've found the houses start running together in the buyer's mind.)

It's not unusual at all for an agent to do what you're asking your agent to do, it's just part of the job. Call your agent and ask him to show you the other house and explain it just the way you did here - trust me, you're simply asking for him to do what he's supposed to do and he won't (or shouldn't) be put out at all to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or