Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducationNeverEnds View Post
What are you going to do when a Realtor calls and asks if they can show your house in 30 mins due to a last minute client coming in from out of town that wishes to see your home?
Exactly. This actually happened to me and not only did I have a very short notice it was actually after my stated showing hours. I said what the hell and let them come. They ended up buying my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly. This actually happened to me and not only did I have a very short notice it was actually after my stated showing hours. I said what the hell and let them come. They ended up buying my house.
That's the right attitude to have. You never know which buyer is going to end up being "the one".

Old 07-14-2010, 08:42 PM

764 posts, read 1,597,631 times
If you don't have to sell, then why are you wasting everyone's time?

It is obvious that you are not ready to sell...If you think it's stressful after only one day on the market, it's only going to get a lot worse so you better prepare yourself to face the inevitable....

Get use to it being a buyer's market - if you don't accept it and sell now before it gets a lot worse, you'll end up being forever priced in the market.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducationNeverEnds View Post
If this is only your first day of showings and you are this stressed out maybe you should re-evaluate your situation. What are you going to do when a Realtor calls and asks if they can show your house in 30 mins due to a last minute client coming in from out of town that wishes to see your home?

When your home is on the Market it is no longer a living space it is a showroom to be ready at a moments notice. If you want to sell that is what you must be prepared to do. (As per my Realtor) Just try to keep calm, establish a daily cleaning routine, or you will not make it 6 months.

It is not easy to stay sane listing/showing with a staged house on the Market! I felt your pain!
But - If they can’t see it, they won’t buy it!!
Actually, one called and asked if they could come in 10 minutes and I said ok.

Another was supposed to come between 7-8. We left for an hour and came back at 8. They showed up at 8:10. We told them to come on in and left through the back door.

We actually did have a stager come, and I keep my house pretty clean anyway (if you can't tell by my posts, I am pretty anal about keeping things neat). I agree about the daily cleaning routine. Dog hair is the biggest issue! DH is also under strict instructions to not let his hand stray from the fridge handle and touch the stainless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
If you don't have to sell, then why are you wasting everyone's time?

It is obvious that you are not ready to sell...If you think it's stressful after only one day on the market, it's only going to get a lot worse so you better prepare yourself to face the inevitable....

Get use to it being a buyer's market - if you don't accept it and sell now before it gets a lot worse, you'll end up being forever priced in the market.

We were honest with the realtor about not having to sell, and she knows I am high-strung. We only signed a 4-month contract, and we can cancel at any time. She didn't think it was wasting her time. I think I'm having a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not really going to pull it off the market without giving it a chance.

RE trends are local, and while my area is not exactly booming, we're in a desirable neighborhood and homes are still selling. Maybe not as fast as they were a few years ago, but it's not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
Why not try looking for something a few minutes further out from town and having everything you want and no HoA to hold you back?
We did look further out, but it's not really our scene. We were all excited about the country at first, but after looking, realized it wasn't the place for us. I do like a lot of the protections of HOA things (no parking on street, no junk vehicles, no boats or RVs, lawns must be cared for). The bad thing is a lot don't allow anything but invisible fencing (and I don't trust kids to not come into our yard). Some allow split-rail fencing with approval, which would be ok. It's just the limit on dogs that gets me.

Last edited by Marka; 07-15-2010 at 01:44 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 09:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
OP: DEEP BREATH IN.....DEEP BREATH OUT

Try to take a step back and not take potential Buyer feedback personally. Yes, it is your home and there is nothing more personal than that. However, this is a business transaction and as such business transactions are best considered with emotions checked at the door. Hard to do when it is your home.....but necessary if you are going to stay sane.

No doubt you are tired from trying to prepare you house along with removing your dogs from showings. The frustration of not finding exactly what you want likely is contributing to your second thoughts.

What you might consider doing is setting a certain time period during the day for showings, say between 4pm-7pm and have your dogs out of the house for the entire period, if showings are scheduled, rather than running them in and out several times during the course of the day.

You can also work with your agent to request at least "x" amount of notice, say 2 hrs.

Tell your agent your concerns and early frustrations. No doubt he/she will have some suggestions on how to handle them to make your home accessible for showings while also decreasing your stress levels.

If you want to get away from neighborhood covenants you may have to move out into the country. Have you considered rural living? The upside is you have more freedom to have numbers of animals, the downside is that your nextdoor neighbor may have 10 trailer houses.

Good luck, you will be fine.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
OP: DEEP BREATH IN.....DEEP BREATH OUT

Try to take a step back and not take potential Buyer feedback personally. Yes, it is your home and there is nothing more personal than that. However, this is a business transaction and as such business transactions are best considered with emotions checked at the door. Hard to do when it is your home.....but necessary if you are going to stay sane.

No doubt you are tired from trying to prepare you house along with removing your dogs from showings. The frustration of not finding exactly what you want likely is contributing to your second thoughts.

What you might consider doing is setting a certain time period during the day for showings, say between 4pm-7pm and have your dogs out of the house for the entire period, if showings are scheduled, rather than running them in and out several times during the course of the day.

You can also work with your agent to request at least "x" amount of notice, say 2 hrs.

Tell your agent your concerns and early frustrations. No doubt he/she will have some suggestions on how to handle them to make your home accessible for showings while also decreasing your stress levels.

If you want to get away from neighborhood covenants you may have to move out into the country. Have you considered rural living? The upside is you have more freedom to have numbers of animals, the downside is that your nextdoor neighbor may have 10 trailer houses.

Good luck, you will be fine.
Thanks, you hit the nail on the head. I could virtually hug you. (I need to spead the love around before I can rep you again.) I am going to talk to our listing agent tomorrow about limiting hours and other concerns.

I really need to do some yoga breathing before bed.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

75 posts, read 173,606 times
We listed our home two days before Memorial Day and have 3 dogs.

We asked for two hours notice at a minimum, but it turned out that the folks who gave us 15 minutes notice were the ones who bought our house. They didn't even ask for a second showing, just turned in an offer the next day.

We had 7 showings in 5 weeks, got only one feedback that was very vague and then boom! a buyer.

We close the beginning of August. So, just breathe deep and it can be done.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
First off, I think you're just flustered by the open house and three showings in one day. You will probably not have that much activity in one day, going forward.

Secondly, if you think you have it bad, consider what I went through last year trying to sell my beach condo. Unlike the other places for sale, many of which were vacant short sales and foreclosures, I lived there full-time (with a dog), so I had to clear out every time some tire-kicker was down for the weekend and wanted to spend the day looking at beach places they couldn't afford. I asked my agent to sort of "pre-qualify" the people, i.e., find out if they were really serious buyers or "just looking" -- well, of course the other agent ALWAYS said they were serious buyers! It finally sold, but not after much aggravation on my part. Oh, and the thing my buyers liked most? I lit scented jar candles before I cleared out. For some reason, they LOVED it. They also knew I had a dog, because they told me at closing they looked in a cabinet and saw the dog bowl that I had hidden.

Anyhoo, I guess you maybe need to do some more due diligence on whether you really want to go through all this...I mean, if you can't find a new house that's acceptable, is it all worth it?

Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 AM

475 posts, read 570,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
We did look further out, but it's not really our scene. We were all excited about the country at first, but after looking, realized it wasn't the place for us. I do like a lot of the protections of HOA things (no parking on street, no junk vehicles, no boats or RVs, lawns must be cared for). The bad thing is a lot don't allow anything but invisible fencing (and I don't trust kids to not come into our yard). Some allow split-rail fencing with approval, which would be ok. It's just the limit on dogs that gets me.
There are worlds of difference between a few minutes outside of the city and the country. I think maybe you looked a little TOO far out. Come in just a hair closer.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Our house went on the market yesterday, and today we had a broker's/realtor's open house and three showings. We've had good feedback, BUT two of the "potential buyers" who looked aren't interested in buying because of features the house doesn't have....and it's CLEAR from the pictures and description that the house doesn't have these features. The other party just started looking and isn't sure if they are ready to buy. I had to get my large dogs out of the house for 5.5 hours today, which they hated.

We already have another showing lined up for tomorrow, but I am kind of sick of this. I know it's a buyer's market, but we don't have to sell, we were just wanting to upgrade to a larger home. I'm so peeved right now that I just want to take it off the market. (Our realtor is awesome, and we can end our contract at any time w/o penalty.)

I don't want to call my realtor tonight, but I am concerned. Is there a way to limit the "tire-kicker" showings?

DH and I have looked at some houses, and I would 1) not be rude and inconvenience someone if their home was lacking a feature I had to have and 2) If I open closet doors, cupboards or shades, have the courtesy to put stuff back the way you found it! and 3) Show up on time...if your window is from 7-8, don't arrive at 8:10.

I don't care if people don't want to buy our house. We're having a hard time finding something we like anyway. I just don't get how sellers stay sane!
I truly feel your pain. My husband took a job out-of-state last October. The children (two toddlers) and I stayed behind to prepare our house for sale and get it listed. It was VERY hard to keep the house "show ready" with two little ones (one who was potty training) and be out on a moment's notice.

Like you, it annoyed me when the feedback was related to something CLEARLY not available on our home. People commented about the house having a one car garage. It was listed on the MLS and is obvious in the photos. Every house in that subdivision had a one car garage (except for homes where owners built a separate 2 or 2.5 behind their property). A few buyers complained about the house having hardwood floors because they wanted carpeting. The very first line of our listing indicated that all the floors upstairs had been redone. Wouldn't it be clear that there was no carpeting upstairs? A few complained about the colors being "too neutral" (which seems ridiculous since the wall colors are clear in the photos and paint is so easy to change). And on and on.

However, hands down, I would prefer to get ANY feedback over none at all. Many Buyer's Agents never bothered to tell our Agent anything. Some even ignored her when she or her assistant emailed or called to ask for feedback.

If you don't want to sell right now or don't need to sell, take your house off the market. It is a stressful process, especially in this economy. Wait until you're ready to handle the "tire kickers" and "browsers." They come with the territory.

All the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate