Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,851,362 times

Advertisements

P.S. The couple that bought our house looked at it several times over a five week span. Seriously, they came back 2-3 times and then came back with each set of parents. I'm glad I did not let it get to me because they wanted another house and their parents all suggested our house because it was in better condition. If I did not "grin and bear" it, I would have not had an offer at the end of it.

Again, though, I was in a different situation than you are. Our family was separated and we had already missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter together. I was ready and willing to accomodate any potential buyer and simply had no way of knowing who was "tire kicking."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:30 PM

177 posts, read 312,730 times
Part of the reason people will point out things that are missing and were obviously not there in the listing has to do with creating a "pro" and "con" list. My husband and I do this regularly (we're planning to put our home on the market and are looking at other places). We also did it when we were looking and bought this house. We just didn't do it in front of any of the sellers (I think that it's rude, but I am weird). You might see a house that is in a great area and in good condition, but is missing something that one or both buyers might consider vital. It may or may not be a dealbreaker.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:14 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,012,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat2MT View Post
If you don't have to sell, then why are you wasting everyone's time?

It is obvious that you are not ready to sell...If you think it's stressful after only one day on the market, it's only going to get a lot worse so you better prepare yourself to face the inevitable....

Get use to it being a buyer's market - if you don't accept it and sell now before it gets a lot worse, you'll end up being forever priced in the market.
Why is not having to sell wasting anyone's time??

Old 07-15-2010, 06:20 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,033,370 times
^

Would it not be a waste of time if a buyer puts in an offer after viewing the house on the first day? But the seller decides to pull it off the market?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,034,663 times
I think you have to take the feedback with a grain of salt. A lot of times, I didn't mention the real reason the house was a turn off. You don't want to bring up all these negative things about someone's home ya know? It's sometimes just easier to point out the obvious or something stupid.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,851,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I think you have to take the feedback with a grain of salt. A lot of times, I didn't mention the real reason the house was a turn off. You don't want to bring up all these negative things about someone's home ya know? It's sometimes just easier to point out the obvious or something stupid.
This is a very good point. In the past, I rarely told my Realtor anything I didn't like about a house I'd seen. Now, that I've been the "Seller" I always make sure to give some type of feedback about each property. It's frustrating to get showings, no offers and no feedback on why there was no offer made.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,121,433 times
Dogmom,

You're fortunate to have had so many showings already. Take each showing as a compliment. There are so many listings on the market that buyers can choose from, but they picked your house as one of their possibilities. Don't get flustered and don't take rejections personally. Many times buyers will not be up-front about why they reject a house they see, and many times they can't even pinpoint why they don't like a house. Showings are the first step to getting an offer.

What keeps sellers sane during the process of having their homes on the market is the thought of moving on. They endure the stress because they know they will be rewarded by reaching their goal of having a new home, a better home, moving away, cashing out, etc.
If you don't have a goal to look forward to and to be excited about, the stress of selling will naturally be too much. My advice to you would be to evaluate whether you really want to move, make a decission either way and then put your heart into it.
Your agent is a good sport for listing your home without a clear commitment, but ultimately a lot of harm can come from moving forward with a listings and not following through with a sale.

Best of luck!

Sandy

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,798,241 times
If you are not in a hurry to sell, just don't take the hassle.

Tell you agent loud and clear potential serious buyers only. No tire kickers. Look at the pictures, make sure you want to/can buy the house if you like it, and ask several questions before showing up so that there is no "oh, but I thought..." ask/read/look/check, nobody has time to waste and it is a tremendous hassle to drag everyone out so that people can kick tires around.

In many places around the world, buyers are very uncomfortable for inconveniencing sellers and will only show up if they truly have an intention to buy. Some things you can only evaluate in person, but they really try to inconvenience as little as possible regardless of the seller needing to sell or not. And no demands about fixing/changing stuff whatsoever. If you want the place, take it and fix it yourself or negotiate the price. The seller will not replace things to accommodate your needs.

Things such as "did not like the color/had pet hair on the floor", etc. honestly make me cringe.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,822,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post

Tell you agent loud and clear potential serious buyers only. No tire kickers. Look at the pictures, make sure you want to/can buy the house if you like it, and ask several questions before showing up so that there is no "oh, but I thought..." ask/read/look/check, nobody has time to waste and it is a tremendous hassle to drag everyone out so that people can kick tires around.
And how do you suggest a listing agent makes sure this happens ? Any person coming into their home will be with a buyers agent who hopefully has pre-screened their client.

But there are many reasons people look at homes. We get people in town all the time who are moving and want to see a few homes in certain areas. They are preapproved with a lender, moving to the area but may not be a buyer for the next 2-4 months.

Are they highly motivated ? No.... Are they serious ? Yes.... Could they fall in love with your home and hope to see it in 4 weeks when that are back in town ? Absolutely

So the listing agent has little control over the "motivation" of a buyer and how serious they are at the moment. If you want to err on the side of show my home or don't show my home, I would go with showing the home.

What you've said should be done is not possible. Even if we called the buyers agent, we might not get the straight scoop and many times buyers are not 100% honest with even their own agent.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post

And how exactly is a seller's agent going to ensure the buyers are serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate