Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
If the utility room is in an unfinished part of the house without heat, then no it isn't included. If it is in a finished part of the house, then it is included.

shelly
You are correct ma'am .... If it's a utility room like in the 60's house that is out on the carport it doesn't count (you have to go outside to get to it), if it's in a unfinished basement, it doesn't count, if it is a main hall style utility room (closet) it counts. If it is in the main part of the house and is heated and cooled and finished out it counts. If you wash you cloths down at the creek and hang them on a tree to dry, it doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Just think about marketing that home with the creekside washing station.

This home takes you into a bygone era!! enjoy the smell of rain fresh laundered clothes, dryed with energy efficiency of the sun!!

Lol, Just Kidding!!!

Shelly

Old 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Real Estate is local...

The calculation of the "square footage" of a home is a local thing. There are no universal rules..(though I know of no jurisdiction that does not leave the garage out).

Here it is done by an external measurement of the home less the garage. There are odd disconnects...two story square footage is not as big as one story square footage for instance. Treatments of basements and sun rooms is uneven. Here note that heated and cooled may not be the same area. And we don't use that as a criteria anyway.

So this is one of those questions that can only be answered by a local.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Real Estate is local...

The calculation of the "square footage" of a home is a local thing. There are no universal rules..(though I know of no jurisdiction that does not leave the garage out).
Don't bet your boots on that, I know an agency that counts that garage ... I recently looked at a 3500 sq ft house just to get there and look around and say "There's no way this is 3500 ... so I step it off and and it was under 2500 sq ft and with the garage it was 3500 sq ft ... the Realtor told me they count the garage ... and the heated and cooled space was really 2444 sq ft. Slightly smaller than 3500 sq ft.

This does 2 things, gets more hits on the MLS and makes the price per sq ft look a lot better. Either way in my opinion it is fraud, by misrepresenting the houses size.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Just think about marketing that home with the creekside washing station.

This home takes you into a bygone era!! enjoy the smell of rain fresh laundered clothes, dryed with energy efficiency of the sun!!

Lol, Just Kidding!!!

Shelly
There should be a thread on some of the Realtors "creative" advertising phrases ...

I've seen "Snuggly bedrooms" for micro-bedrooms.
I've seen "This unique home" for bad floor plans.
I've seen "Vintage style" for this home hasn't had new paint since the 50's.
I've seen "Well loved home" for needs new, carpet, paint, kitchen, bath etc.
I've seen "Secluded location" for you can't get there from here.

and so on ... I must admit "snuggly bedrooms" busted me up.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Don't bet your boots on that, I know an agency that counts that garage ... I recently looked at a 3500 sq ft house just to get there and look around and say "There's no way this is 3500 ... so I step it off and and it was under 2500 sq ft and with the garage it was 3500 sq ft ... the Realtor told me they count the garage ... and the heated and cooled space was really 2444 sq ft. Slightly smaller than 3500 sq ft.

This does 2 things, gets more hits on the MLS and makes the price per sq ft look a lot better. Either way in my opinion it is fraud, by misrepresenting the houses size.
Fascinating. I am not surprised. That could cost you your ticket here...so it does not happen.

But I will revise my view to say I have now heard of someone including the garage in the sf.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM

thanks Dave, I just may have to use that snuggly bedrooms!! your right, we should start a thread on "creative" terms.

shelly

Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,820 times
I've noticed HUGE discrepancies between the actual square footage of the home (as recorded by the Property Appraiser's) and the listings on Realtor.com. There was this one house that was listed as having 3750 sq ft and it turns out the actual square footage was 1610.

I guess the realtor was counting the following: the screen room (40X20), the garage, the front entry and I still can't figure out the rest! That's a big problem in my mind! We live in Florida and don't have basements so there's no "wiggle" room with that!

Can you imagine trying to sell a 1400 sq ft home honestly? We are and this is the kind of competition we are up against. Well, I guess the buyers will figure it out when they get inside the home and ask "Where's the 3700 sq ft?"

Just my two cents!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,590,742 times
One can't always go by what's recorded on county records for square footage...we finished out 2 bonus rooms which added over 600 sq ft to our home (yes it's heated/cooled) but I'm sure our county has not changed their info since we completed the work....

Old 06-30-2007, 06:24 AM

leaving, since you are selling your home, make sure your agent has adjusted your SF on the MLS, then in agent remarks he/she can say sf per seller, bonus rooms are finished. And they should mention the additional rooms in the public remarks. Also, since I know you are getting frustrated, I'm going to ask you if your home has been nuetralized. I know you have dropped your price and you have said it is under what your neighbors houses sold for, yet is larger and larger yard..

So, what else is wrong? do you have wallpaper? if yes, get rid of it. do you have off color carpet (think green), if yes get rid of it. Do you have large furniture? if yes, remove some. Are your appliances updated? if no, consider updating them. Then maybe you can get your home back priced right (consider uping to the current homes sold prices). Then have your REA come and take new pictures. ask them why they aren't on Realtor.com and can you get them to be.

In this market, get it is pristine first, and then price it right. And your pristine may not be a buyers pristine. How we live in our home, may not be how we show our home. Do you have a link you can PM me with pics of your home? I would love to take a look at it.

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate