Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 02:22 AM

11 posts, read 45,106 times

Advertisements

In situations where the walk-thru is scheduled before the seller has moved out, how do you handle the situation where the house is a total mess because of all the boxes and stuff that occurs when you're in the middle of packing your stuff?? I'm freaking out here because my house has never been this messy before, but it kind of has to be so I can pack everything and organize what I'm going to take and what I'm going to throw out. Does the house have to be like it was showing to a new buyer or something? I just don't have enough time in the day to put everything back to a perfect state the day before a walk thru happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
I always thought the final walk through was the day before closing and by that time the seller would be out of there.

I guess they will just have to look past the mess if your stuff is still there. The walk through is just to make sure the place is in the same shape as it was when they went into contract and/or if the requested repairs were made. As long as the buyers can get a good look around the place I don't think you have much to worry about.

Is there a garage where you can throw all the "maybe i'll keep this" stuff at least for now?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I always thought the final walk through was the day before closing and by that time the seller would be out of there.
Same here. I recently sold and i had to be complete out of the house before the final walk through. You might want to check the contract to make sure you are not setting yourself up for problems.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
When I sold my last house I rented it for a week after closing. Part of that agreement was I had to put some money in escrow to deal with potential walk through issues.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM

74 posts, read 288,844 times
I agree with everyone else. It's surprising that the buyers want to do a walk-through before you've moved out. How can they see the status of the house? Our sellers were "mostly" out with just a few odds and ends (like that morning's clothes). They still managed to hide the bright purple stain (like paint spilled) on the bathroom floor. We didn't see it until after we closed. oh well

Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
A walk through is not an inspection. It's basically to confirm that the property has not been changed or altered. (i.e. the movers didn't pack the fridge that was part of the sale, while moving out there was no damage to the walls, etc,) I usually like to do a walk through the evening before closing - or even the morning of closing. Again, the walk through is not an inspection. The deadline for a property inspection has passed. At walk throught the buyer can not reject the property b/c they just noticed (for example) that the window on the back of the house don't match the others , etc.

It's very surprising the buyers would accept a walk through while you are still in the home. If you have some agreement to stay for a few days that could explain it. In that case, I guess there would be no other choice.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 45,106 times
hi! thanks for the replies!
Yes we have an agreement to stay in the house 5 days after the escrow closes.
This is because the house we're moving into closes escrow at the same time, but might close a day or two later (depends on the two escrow companies etc).
The sellers of the house we're buying are moving out on the day escrow is supposed to close. So we are giving them 3 days to move out after escrow closes.
My agent said they could do the walk thru AFTER escrow closes.....I asked him if escrow will not close if the walk-thru isn't done and he said it wouldn't hold it up. unless the buyer asks that it be held up.
Anyway...as it is now...they wanted to come do the walk thru today, with no notice!!! I was so annoyed...I was thinking at least give us a day notice!?? I'm going to be up late tonight moving boxes and crap into the garage...
thanks for that suggestion.
we signed papers today, so I'm kind of in a weird overly excited mood right now....

Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
So let them come and see all the mess. Not your fault they want to do a walkthrough before you move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate