Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 AM

50 posts, read 159,577 times

Advertisements

I am looking at either buying a Townhome or condo unit in the area I live in as an investment. Recently I went to BoA and they had said I needed a minimum of 30% down. Is this the norm nowadays? I plan on visiting other banks and lenders but figured I'd ask here too. I am close to the 30% down but I'd rather spend some of the money on fixing it up before renting it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
25%.

And either 2 or 3 points - I can't really recall and I'm too lazy to go pull the file right now.

(BTW, it was a local lender.)

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
25%.

And either 2 or 3 points - I can't really recall and I'm too lazy to go pull the file right now.

(BTW, it was a local lender.)
Possibly more if the condo is not warrantable. Check these links:

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/refmat...ex.jsp?from=hp
https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm

Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Thank you for those links. I'll check them out!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citron View Post
I am looking at either buying a Townhome or condo unit in the area I live in as an investment. Recently I went to BoA and they had said I needed a minimum of 30% down. Is this the norm nowadays? I plan on visiting other banks and lenders but figured I'd ask here too. I am close to the 30% down but I'd rather spend some of the money on fixing it up before renting it out.
I actually recently used BoA for an investment property and the minimum down payment was 20%. The transaction actually went very smoothly and I couldn't be happier. I only paid points to get the interest rate down to a level I was looking for.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
20%, but condo's can be tough right now.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Citron
Without addressing your question (because I don't know the answer and wise people ahead of me answered it) I would like to comment that even though there are some great values out there now, I know I would be less than comfortable without larger reserves than it sounds like you have. One unintended event could wipe you out.

If you do proceed, good luck, there is money to be made...be careful, there is money to be lost too.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 55,724 times
Minimum downpayment is 20%, NO point and NO origination fee with credit over 620

Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
SKH is correct 20% down is the minimum, but you will get a better deal with 25%. Points and/or origination fees also not necessarily required, but your rate would go up substantiallly.

SKH is pretty misleading with the post as I am pretty sure you could not price the rate high enough with a 620 FICO and no points.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Citron
Without addressing your question (because I don't know the answer and wise people ahead of me answered it) I would like to comment that even though there are some great values out there now, I know I would be less than comfortable without larger reserves than it sounds like you have. One unintended event could wipe you out.

If you do proceed, good luck, there is money to be made...be careful, there is money to be lost too.

I also had concerns about not actually making any money or not having enough in case something horrible happened to the unit. But the way I look at it is- If I can afford to fork out 2x the monthly expense of the condo with just my current income without any issues then it isn't the worst thing I could be doing with the money I do have. Right now I'm at about 25-26% down payment of the average selling price of the condo's currently selling in that specific community. I do already have enough for the average cost of closing saved up. Just not 30% for a down payment. So not ready yet but getting close and starting to look at loan options. I am fortunate enough that if something did happen I could cut expenses elsewhere. Such as to stop paying extra on my current mortgage or other pretty painless things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate