Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM

470 posts, read 1,499,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
I really like using zillow not to specifically search for a house but to look at general areas, pricing in a neighborhood, look for other similar areas. Once I see streets or neighborhoods taht I like I generally get off zillow and begin to look at realtor.com or craigslist. Nice thing about craigslist is you see lots of FSBO that you would otherwise not see just looking at mls or realtor.com
Use Zillow to look for homes but, except for a few localities, do not use it for pricing. They have been off by as much as 30%, and, in my area, they are typically off by 10% or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:55 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,945,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
The thing is, I know what I want in a home---a 2 family, a nice lot, something older with character--and I know which areas I do and do not want it in. I've come pretty close twice to buying, but before I put a bid on either of the 2 homes, found some major problems with them (one: gas leases on land close by--NOT what I want to move into---the other---HUGE water issues in cellar, and the seller was not about to drop price bc of that)--so I'm still looking. I'm getting frustrated--it seems most of the homes out there are either single family, very rundown (or in bad neighborhoods) multis, or priced way out of my league and probably way more than they're worth (I do have a reasonable budget for the house considering my area). So my dilemma ensues, and I'm asking you experts what else I can do and where else to look for my new home. Where I'm looking now: on mls sites online (there are 3 available that show homes in the surrounding areas that I"m interested in), newspaper ads (for sale by owner), newspaper mls (which is the same as online, but sometimes, I think, it's seeing it with a "fresher" eye), craigslists (which is usually broker-run ads anyway), and fsbo sites. Even zillow. Am I missing something? Is there somewhere else to look? to do? or am I just going to have to wait it out? (been very seriously looking for a year now...really do want to take advantage of the lower interest rates on mortgages...)
Do it the old fashion way, drive around the areas you want to live, many FSBO place signs on their lawns.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:21 PM

948 posts, read 2,789,673 times
Also check for commercial dumpsters when driving around - used when a person is readying a home for sale, when tossing out an old renters junk or and REO crew has come in or remodeling the necessary rooms to make a place marketable is being done. Put an ad in paper with your basic criteria - and have your agent pull some sold comps to make sure your being realistic - Just like with anything value is often established by what others are paying not what you can afford - and if your agent is good, don't argue with them on comps, cause they are generally more objective from the full scope not just one persons preference.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,095,681 times
It took us 2 years to find the house we bought. Yes, we were picky and we knew that. We had some absolute must-haves that we knew were difficult to find. Our buyers' agent was diligent as I was. She knew I was searching the MLS in covering a very large area - location wasn't important - but location was critical. In otherwords, we didn't care what town/county we bought in but the specific location of the house relative to neighbors was crucial. She and I both spotted the same house on the same day - it was another agent in her office who took the listing.

If you have "picky" requirements, patience is the key.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,208,191 times
I'm in the same boat. Really specific, not much total stock, only hits the market very ocasionally, basically waiting for someone to die.
Specific response to question, I can't think of any other sources than you named.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm in the same boat. Really specific, not much total stock, only hits the market very ocasionally, basically waiting for someone to die.
Specific response to question, I can't think of any other sources than you named.
How tough is zoning where you live? In my area two families pretty much don't exist in residential neighborhoods, so you'd be looking for a long while here as well.........

Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,648,057 times
When contacting an agent make and appointment a week ahead to see the home or a a little less then a week tell the agent what you are looking for and tell them to have other property lined up in the area or near by that they think you may be interested in. This will save you alot of time. Looking at more then one home at a time. Not all homes are listed on the internet.

Tell them the basics are what you are looking for a in a home. Number of bedrooms sq. footage age area or what ever else you want in a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate