Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM

169 posts, read 696,311 times

Advertisements

A lady whom I may be used as my agent constantly asked me my personal questions, i.e, my kids, my husband, my life, etc. I have a newborn, don't have much time to chit chat and only want to get down to business. I called her for a few questions but felt like I was interviewed. BTW, what is her business whether my family or my husband's family offer to help us financially to purchase the house? Is it normal course of business or she just noisy?

She didn't answer all my questions when I emailed her. She hasn't sent me any listing yet. She has more than 10 yrs of experience in Real Estate in general but doesn't live in the area we want to buy and hasn't had any transaction in that area in the past few years. She was referred to me by one of my good friend. She is his coworker's wife. So, if I am not using her, will it be bad?

I also have another agent in mind. He has 7 yrs experience and live in the area I am buying. He is very thoroughly answering all my questions and seems very knowlegeable. He was referred to me by someone here on the local board. So, which one will you go for?

I am not sure whether it is the hormone but I got a little bit irritated when she was still on and on after I told her I needed to go to feed the baby.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,540,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
...She didn't answer all my questions when I emailed her. She hasn't sent me any listing yet. She has more than 10 yrs of experience in Real Estate in general but doesn't live in the area we want to buy and hasn't had any transaction in that area in the past few years. She was referred to me by one of my good friend. She is his coworker's wife. So, if I am not using her, will it be bad?

I also have another agent in mind. He has 7 yrs experience and live in the area I am buying. He is very thoroughly answering all my questions and seems very knowlegeable. He was referred to me by someone here on the local board. So, which one will you go for?...
Seems like an easy decision. Go with the agent you are more comfortable with and trust more to do a good job for you. If it's the 2nd agent, just explain to your friends that you wanted someone with more knowledge of the area.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,213,409 times
She may have just been trying to make a connection, to get to know you better.

She may also have been trying to get an idea of how your loan was going to work out, and if you are going to qualify for the houses she is planning on showing you. She may be "pre qualifying" you, so she knows she is working with a "real" client, and not wasting her time showing you things that you can't buy.

Since she is not directly connected to you (co-worker/spouse), then it probably wouldn't be as odd to not use her if you choose.

I would probably give her another chance and at the same time, make sure you let her know that you do like to get down to business, and idle chit chat is just not your thing. She has no way of knowing what you like or don't like unless you let her know.
Good luck with the house hunting.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,018,222 times
Personally I would never use an agent not from the area I was looking to buy.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Personally I would never use an agent not from the area I was looking to buy.
Well, she said she knew the area and had transactions there in the past, years ago..... Personally, I think someone who actually live there or closed by know more that others who live half an hour or in another city.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

15,513 posts, read 40,244,030 times
I agree with manderly6 and rjrcm. The other agent makes you feel more comfortable and they have actual real-to-date market knowledge. The market has shifted so much in the past two years, doing transactions in a city a few years ago isn't market knowledge.

If it were me, it would be a no brainer. I'd go with the other agent.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM

968 posts, read 2,057,355 times
This seems simple. If you have a negative vibe, then any negative thing that happens, even small, will be magnified. You should use the person you feel more comfortable with, who also probably has more knowledge of the area of your interest.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,018,222 times
I hate to ask, but did you sign an agreement with the first agent?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I hate to ask, but did you sign an agreement with the first agent?
Nope.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree with manderly6 and rjrcm. The other agent makes you feel more comfortable and they have actual real-to-date market knowledge. The market has shifted so much in the past two years, doing transactions in a city a few years ago isn't market knowledge.

If it were me, it would be a no brainer. I'd go with the other agent.
Me too.
As an aside, I ask prospective clients 100's of questions, preferably in their current residence, if possible. Seeing their stuff and understanding how they live helps me make a good match to their next home. I want to know what they love about their current place and what does not work for them and why. It's a mutual interview. I communicate upfront why I do this.

I want to know if they have considered renting and if not, why not. I tread lighting on the financial thing and rely on a lender's pre approval and what they are comfortable spending, regardless of the pre-approved amount.

Property taxes in my are are a considerble factor in the ole monthly nut. It is critical that we all know this going in to avoid downstream problems about affordability.

Despite this, some people are not comfortable with my approach. That's OK. There are plenty of agents out there that might be a better match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate