Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 18,277 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure how to handle this issue, so ANY opinions are welcome. We have lived in a home as renters for almost three years. We would love to stay as long as possible. However, the home owner has put the house on the market. Some neighbors apparently looked up the MLS listing and brought to our attention that some info was incorrect-such as schools, HOA dues being mandatory vs voluntary and square footage. I mentioned it to the realtor and homeowner so hopefully it would help move the house to a new buyer without any complications. While they have updated the school/HOA info, they are still listing the house with 250 more square footage than it has--to help the house sell faster. The house only has 1651 but is listed with 1900 sq ft. One part of me knows I should stay out of this, but I really hate to think that new buyers could be deceived. Maybe I am naive to how this process works, but in Texas, do buyers always verify square footage on their own, or do they take the sellers info as final word. The Central Appraisal info online would help a buyer that would think to look there, but I don't know if people really go beyond the listings for info. I know this may seem silly, but I just hate knowing that someone could buy the property and be deceived about some information. Plus, I really want a great relationship with whomever buys the house since we have a lease here through next year. I just don't want there being any problems and I don't want to be held responsible in anyway for something I don't really think I have any control over.

Sorry for the long rant!

Last edited by LoneStarMomE; 08-05-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: I just noticed I typed "their" instead of "there"...oops!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
How do you know what the sq footage is?

Personally I would stay out of it.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Pretty sure I'd stay out of it as to not get into issues with the current owner because you do have that lease and who knows, it might not sell for a while. I think it's the buyer and seller who should be responsible for that issue.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,682 times
We have a suare footage disclosure in Colorado. There are several ways to detrmine the square footage of a home. It's common for different appraisers to disagree on the actual square footage. That said, most brokers use the assessor's office for the square footage disclosure. The assessor's records are public record and the disclosure references the source of the infomation.

In any event, during the usual transaction if a buyer has a lender, the lender will order the appraisal. The lender's appraiser will measure the home. Again, the appraiser's measurement may or may not agree with public record.

Frankly, I'd stay out of this if I were you. Any buyer is able to inspect the property in any manner they wish.
Best wishes.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
That's a pretty big difference. How do you know its really 1650 square feet? Did you measure or look it up on the appraisal district website. I have properties listed on the appraisal district website with incorrect information.....when the change would be in my favor I work hard to correct it, when not, I basically ignore it. If the appraisal district under-reported my property size and my taxes were lower as a result, I just might leave it alone......dunno ...but I might.....

Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 18,277 times
I know staying out of it is best, and it is what me and the hubby are going to do. I guess we were just curious as to how the process worked in Texas and if there was a system in place that would help buyers eventually catch it. As far as how I verified it-aside from the County Appraiser's info online, I have the info from the builder.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
In Texas, the MLS states "Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed" so the buyer wouldn't have any recourse if he wanted to throw a fit. He should be obtaining his own appraisal required by a lender, and if not required, should still get one.

Beyond that, the agent isn't supposed to represent a number that isn't documented "somewhere". Maybe they have their own appraisal showing the higher number? Builder plans are never accurate. My house measures almost 200 sqft LARGER than the builder's plan. I'll use my appraisal number to market the home when I sell.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMomE View Post
...As far as how I verified it-aside from the County Appraiser's info online, I have the info from the builder.
As noted, it's possible both of your sources may be inaccurate and the agent or homeowner used another method or source to get their number. In any case, it is up to the buyer to verify. As a buyer agent, I always check the county assessor's number and ask about any significant discrepancy if the MLS is different. You've done what you could by mentioning your concern with the seller. As a renter, you have no responsibility to make corrections for the seller.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,543,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMomE View Post
I know staying out of it is best, and it is what me and the hubby are going to do. I guess we were just curious as to how the process worked in Texas and if there was a system in place that would help buyers eventually catch it. As far as how I verified it-aside from the County Appraiser's info online, I have the info from the builder.
I can almost guarantee you that the info from the builder is incorrect and that the square footage listed on the MLS sheet comes from the previous appraisal.

In the meanwhile, as you don't have a dog in this hunt, what do you care?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Agreed i'd just stay out of it, it's not your home and that much of a difference, any halfway intelligent person could see that during the showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate