U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 PM

470 posts, read 1,430,669 times

Advertisements

In general, without knowing the layout of your home, the answer is a qualified yes. I agree that most people take showers rather than baths, however, when one of the occupants of the master bedroom wants to take a bath, it should be convenient to the master bedroom. So, if all of your bedrooms are clustered, and there is little or not competition for the bathtub in the common bathroom, i.e. sharing with kids, guests, etc., then it is not as important. However, if you have a split bedroom plan, or a plan with master on the main and other bedrooms and the bathroom with the bath on the second floor, it is a detriment. So, necessary, maybe not, but does it add value, yes. And, the bigger bathtub/shower combo you can put in place, the better (but be careful to make sure that you can get the tub into the bathroom without knocking down walls). If you have the option of making it a corner unit, it also adds aesthetic appeal to the master bath.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 02:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,258,183 times
I've seen this a lot lately and I'm not a fan of it. If there's a tub elsewhere in the house, I guess it's okay if the house is great otherwise, but we've actually seen two homes where if we wanted a tub, we would've had to pay to have one put back in.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:05 PM

63,641 posts, read 43,249,810 times
Homes with the tubs in the master tend to sell faster than homes without, not necessarily for more money or anywhere near what some invested in their baths.

Some of this is also dependent upon area norms and price points.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM

5,698 posts, read 18,282,734 times
When we were looking for a home we looked at several houses that just had showers in the master bath. I did not like it. I wanted a tub. Funny though, I have only used the tub once in the two years we have lived in this house. But I like the option and would still want a master bath with a tub.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 PM

44,255 posts, read 60,304,567 times
I wouldn't buy a house without a master tub (or room to put one in).

Granted, some people here make a great point about not using it that often, etc, but a. you have to think about resale yourself and b. I would totally use a tub, so the 'not using it' argument kind of becomes self-fulfilling prophecy.

That being said, you can almost always find a buyer that likes whatever quirk your house has, so I'd ask my agent what she thought, get several opinions, maybe offer an allowance...

Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 AM

407 posts, read 1,502,811 times
Default Interesting thread and responses...

My "renovation" plan calls for my bathrooms to be redone in about 6 years (I know, talk about planning ahead!), and the current configuration of the bathrooms in my house is "less than optimal", shall we say. There is currently only one tub (cast iron in the full bath on the first floor) and a shower surround with a seat in the one second floor bathroom (which I hate). I had been planning on a tub just because it is expected, so seeing others' reasons pro and con is helpful.

I have to admit that although I only use the tub very occasionally, not having one in the upstairs bathroom has always seemed odd to me, and when I do the renovations I'm planning to put one in the upstairs. Obviously not having a tub in the upstairs bath was not a deal-breaker when I bought the house, but it definitely made my "to do" list. (The cast iron tub will stay in the first floor purely for aesthetic reasons, if nothing else - it really adds character to the room).

Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,809,300 times
If the house is priced right and shows well, it would not be a dealbreaker, however I would not install a bathtub just for resell purposes unless the home did not have another tub, but if you are going to remodel it, I'd put in a bathtub.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 AM

24,567 posts, read 37,786,055 times
No tub in the master bath would be a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 PM

472 posts, read 814,233 times
No master tub = deal breaker

Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,840,990 times
I'll give you the advice my real estate agent gave me awhiole back when I was selling. People expect to see a bathtub even if they don't use it and would prefer a shower. for some reason they think they are being shortchanged. So if converting a tub or tub/shower to a shower only, give them something they didn't expect. I did the renovation for what I wanted and what it seems everyone really wants (a nice walk in shower) and I did it in a tasteful quality manner for the house. I replaced the fiberglasss tub shower in the second bath with a tiled jetted tub and shower area. I had absolutely no problems. The agent showed the master bath and if someone made a comment, she asked, would they rather a regular tub/shower unit or this nice walk in shower. most admitted they prefered the walk in shower and it was nice. Next she would tell them they are going to love this and showed them the second bath with the tiled jetted tub/shower area and I think almost everyone at that point said they liked both baths just the way they are. I think most just think they are getting less if there is a walk in shower, but how its marketed is just as important. Anyway, are you doing this for resale or for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate