Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:58 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times

Advertisements

Once I had a smooth talking swine of a man ask me to come down 10 grand on my home, he knew we were desperate that time and he said oh don't be mad at me, acting all savvy and snake like, lucky he was on the phone, he was a slimeball real estate agent who ripped people off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:33 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,270 times
what if you are at the "bottom" of your house price?? then any offer whether lowball or not is too low. In that case you cannot counter because you are at the lowest price you are willing to sell your house at...what would you do then??

Old 07-11-2007, 09:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Counter offer back with the original asking price (your bottom price) and right the word "firm" after it.
Just my suggestion.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Low balling is a touchy situation but I will give my personal experience. I am glad I low balled my seller because when the bank appraised the house, it appraised only at 10K above the low ball offer. So, yes it was very well worth it to insult the seller in my case. You don't want to over-pay for a house on account of not hurting someone's feelings.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Okay. I'm ignorant. Two questions: (1) Aren't prices set according to or near the appraised value, or at least a reasonable explanation as to why the price is set higher than the appraised value and (2) is there a way to find the appraised value before you put in an offer? I've learned something here today. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Low balling is a touchy situation but I will give my personal experience. I am glad I low balled my seller because when the bank appraised the house, it appraised only at 10K above the low ball offer. So, yes it was very well worth it to insult the seller in my case. You don't want to over-pay for a house on account of not hurting someone's feelings.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Okay. I'm ignorant. Two questions: (1) Aren't prices set according to or near the appraised value, or at least a reasonable explanation as to why the price is set higher than the appraised value and (2) is there a way to find the appraised value before you put in an offer? I've learned something here today. Thanks for the info.
To answer your first question, the price SHOULD be set according to appraised value. However, my seller and her agent perhaps had there minds stuck in the "2005-06" market boom and thought they could get 208K for something only worth 165K. Greed is an ugly thing.

For your second question, your agent should be able to provide comps for you to get you as close to the appraised value as possible. If your agent is really good and honest, they will let you know that there is no way a house is worth what the seller is asking if the price is just ridiculous. You can also try these little "appraisal" sites like Zillow but I will say not to depend solely on them. On some areas, their appraisals are right on the money where as others, they are way off. You can also do like my aunt did and hire your own appraiser to find out the value. You don't want to end up in a situation where the bank tells you that the house is only worth $165K and that's all they will give you and you agreed to pay the seller $180K. So now you will either have to come up with 15K or pray that the seller agrees to come down 15K.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:03 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Well, thanks very much for answering my questions. This is great information.

[quote=ParkerP;1053833]To answer your first question, the price SHOULD be set according to appraised value.
For your second question, your agent should be able to provide comps for you to get you as close to the appraised value as possible. QUOTE]

Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Market value and appraised value are 2 completely different things.

You can get an independent appraiser to do a CMA.

The market price is what the market will bear-i.e. the highest price the seller can get in that particular market for example. It is different in every state/region.

In 1998 NY metro area houses were appraised at 200k but sold for 400k. 400k was the market rate at the time.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 07-12-2007 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: add

Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
That is actually a market stress related system breakdown. The apprasal system will break under a fast changing market.

But you should price off comps. A CMA is simply a way of looking at the comparables. It needs judgement as well. Don't try and sell at the top price in a declining market. YOu will end up behind the price curve and never sell.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,270 times
just wondering, my house is appraised at 793,000 and my price to sell is 699,000 my house does need updating (kitchens and baths) but ALL the other houses in my town are for sale usually 80,000-100,00 over appraised value some of the others are not updated but are in my area and are 20,000 over mine. BUT they are 100,000 over their appraised value...i just don't understand this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate