U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2007, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Home Limbo
160 posts, read 525,421 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

I'm really just venting and sort of updating a post I made last month. I really hope I never have to sell another house again after this experience.
My buyer that insisted on a 45 day closing period now has the nerve to be antsy and say they have to move in by Friday! (After they asked to close tomorrow) We're out of town so that is impossible right now and their response was "we can move your things into storage for you". Are you kidding me? Have you realtors ever had experience with a seller accepting this? (We would know to be prepared for closing usually, but they said they absolutely had to have this much time in the begining. I was frustrated, but accepted it and worked my schedule around the date anyway)
I wouldn't want a stranger pawing through my things. And I'm really peeved because this buyer cried broke through the whole process and has nickel and dimed constantly. Now you can afford moving and storage? Their agent's response was, "there's nothing of value in there anyway". WTF was she thinking? I was on the internet looking for her phone number to ask, when my son wanted to play and saved her from the reading of her life. LOL All this drama with no HUD statement. I was at the 'shove it' stage before we signed the contract, so I'm so through with this whole process right now. Is it really supposed to be this hard? I understand buyers know the market is bad and feel like you should be grateful for an offer, but jeez what happened to courtesy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2007, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,091 posts, read 8,204,834 times
Reputation: 3143
Actually once the closing is done it IS their house and you are suppose to give them all keys. By rights you should already be out. Or be out by that day. If you can not be out of the house by closing, it is usually written into the contract what day you will be out. And there are some people who will charge rent or a deposit for the time you spend in the house after closing to cover any damage. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 08:47 AM
 
1,341 posts, read 4,310,307 times
Reputation: 575
Wow that must be frusturating...but when we moved..I had everything boxed up and ready a week before the move...and made sure that I was available and in town just in case there were last minute issues(and there were)..We were required to be around the night before to do a final walkthru as well.

The seller had everything moved out I think..before hand..and probably had everything in storage as well.

Quite frankly, if anyone were selling in this market (and your in florida), after reading some of the posts..I would have been grateful for a quick closing!!!


As far as nickel and diming...well you are on the selling side...its a whole different story on the buyers side right? Buyers now are picky, they have every right to look for a deal.

I still think you are lucky that you sold your home though..good luck..it will soon be over!!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Home Limbo
160 posts, read 525,421 times
Reputation: 50
I understand the house is theirs after closing. That's why I don't want to close before I move the last of our things. All parties knew we are on a schedule due to job constraints and can't buy last minute plane tickets because you changed your mind and don't want to pay rent again.
We asked again and again before signing the contract if there was anyway they could close earlier and they said NO, absolutely not. So our travel plans are set based on the buyers reqested closing. Of course I'm happy to sell the house finally after 8 months, I'm just wondering if we were courteous to them at every turn, why would you be so insistent on changing now...when it was your (buyer) date in the first place.
And yeah, because it's Florida we have to have someone go there everyday to make sure no one is living there for free or helping themselves to our appliances. That's the whole reason there are things in the house, to give the appearance that someone still lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
 
1,408 posts, read 7,254,878 times
Reputation: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
I understand the house is theirs after closing. That's why I don't want to close before I move the last of our things. All parties knew we are on a schedule due to job constraints and can't buy last minute plane tickets because you changed your mind and don't want to pay rent again.
We asked again and again before signing the contract if there was anyway they could close earlier and they said NO, absolutely not. So our travel plans are set based on the buyers reqested closing. Of course I'm happy to sell the house finally after 8 months, I'm just wondering if we were courteous to them at every turn, why would you be so insistent on changing now...when it was your (buyer) date in the first place.
And yeah, because it's Florida we have to have someone go there everyday to make sure no one is living there for free or helping themselves to our appliances. That's the whole reason there are things in the house, to give the appearance that someone still lives there.
If you have not closed do not let them move into the house. Something could go seriously wrong. You could always tell the buyers that if they really want to close sooner then they now must pay for your additional costs associated with moving earlier like new airline tickets, additional rental charges, moving charges, storage charges and any other charges you can think of that you will incur if you were to close prior to the scheduled closing date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Reputation: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Actually once the closing is done it IS their house and you are suppose to give them all keys. By rights you should already be out. Or be out by that day. If you can not be out of the house by closing, it is usually written into the contract what day you will be out. And there are some people who will charge rent or a deposit for the time you spend in the house after closing to cover any damage. Liz
Not in Texas. The house is not the buyers until it FUNDS! So if the buyer closes on a Friday afternoon and their mortgage company does not fund till Monday.......... they don't get the keys till Monday. This happened w/ the buyers of one of our houses. We kept saying we could close at ANY TIME/DAY. Nope, nothing doing. All we heard was "their rent". Okay fine. They picked the closing date and title company AND their lender and chose one for a Friday afternoon. Okay fine. House and keys are MINE till it funds and if it happens to be on Monday you won't get the keys till then. We had been out of the house for over 2 years (kept it in case inlaws needed to move closer to us) then decided to sell. So it was empty. BUT!!!! If they had moved in over the weekend and used MY utilities as the utility companies would not change the names till closing and they would not do it on a Friday so that meant Monday. MY homeowners insurance in effect until it funded. If something would have happened be it fire or break-in or someone got hurt I would have been liable. If for some reason their loan did not fund and we did not find out till after they had moved in......... pain in the ****. We would have had to gone thru the eviction process all the while they lived in a house that we OWNED, paying for, paying for utilities, insurance, etc. Our buyers got ticked because they did not get the keys till Monday after I got the call that the loan had funded and my loan was paid off then I dropped them off at the title company for them to pickup. That is the way it is done in Texas.

I would NOT allow them to pack up my stuff and move it into storage for me. NO WAY!!!!!!! Sorry but you have already made all the plans for your family and unless they want to cough up and pay the difference for you to fly on different times/days and move earlier. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Home is where we park it.
3,091 posts, read 8,204,834 times
Reputation: 3143
Yes, you are right but closing being done means title is filed. And you are suppose to hand the keys to the lawyer or the real estate agent to hold until that is done. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Reputation: 5685
A horror story in CA years ago. A couple sold their beautiful spec home. The realtor gave the buyers keys before it closed (this was to be a Friday close and fund the first of the week) which did not happen. Over the weekend the buyer (also a realtor) went into the freshly painted home with her kids and let the kids soil the new carpet and put their feet all over the walls, dragging paint across the wood floor, broke a faucet to boot. The builder/couple were forced to repair and repaint the entire house and have the new carpet cleaned because the buyer was not pleased after her kids got through with it. Dont let buyers into the home until you have funded. Just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,321 posts, read 16,131,214 times
Reputation: 5685
I have one more. A custom home builder we were working with on a nice high end home had the most pushy (but sweet) client. Before the final inspection on the home, the builder had made the mistake of handing keys to the client. The following day when the inspector showed up, the builder had arrived to find his client cooking 5 chickens in the oven and a garage full of boxes, underwear in the bedroom on the floor with the sleeping bags. Needless to say they did not pass final inspection. No keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I have one more. A custom home builder we were working with on a nice high end home had the most pushy (but sweet) client. Before the final inspection on the home, the builder had made the mistake of handing keys to the client. The following day when the inspector showed up, the builder had arrived to find his client cooking 5 chickens in the oven and a garage full of boxes, underwear in the bedroom on the floor with the sleeping bags. Needless to say they did not pass final inspection. No keys.
OK I am curious... what in the world does dirty underwear, sleeping bags and boxes in the garage have to do with a final inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top