Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times

Advertisements

What layout is your favorite for a 5 person household? What kind of sqft would you be looking for?

P.S. Please make necessary assumptions... it's just for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Two story with Master and extra bedroom downstairs (with full bath). The living area would be open to the kitchen (huge island) and the fireplace would be in a corner and off the main wall. The old formal living area would now be a nice study. It would still have a formal dining, butlers pantry & a plenty of storage. Hand scraped wood floors with carpet only in the bedrooms.

Upstairs there would be 3 bedrooms with a family room in the midlle and a media room to the side. The house would be 3200-3600 sf with a 3 car garage, swimming pool, on 2 acres. It would be brick with stone and sit on the lot so the evening sun cast a nice shadow in the back yard. Almost every room would be wired for sound.

It would come with a pool boy, a yard crew, a built in handy man and a trust fund to pay the taxes.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Two story with Master and extra bedroom downstairs (with full bath). The living area would be open to the kitchen (huge island) and the fireplace would be in a corner and off the main wall. The old formal living area would now be a nice study. It would still have a formal dining, butlers pantry & a plenty of storage. Hand scraped wood floors with carpet only in the bedrooms.

Upstairs there would be 3 bedrooms with a family room in the midlle and a media room to the side. The house would be 3200-3600 sf with a 3 car garage, swimming pool, on 2 acres. It would be brick with stone and sit on the lot so the evening sun cast a nice shadow in the back yard. Almost every room would be wired for sound.

It would come with a pool boy, a yard crew, a built in handy man and a trust fund to pay the taxes.
Adjustments to above - a nice eating area instead of a formal dining room. Eating area can be adjacent to kitchen but all meals, formal and informal are eaten there. I just can't justify a room to eat in five times a year.
No sitting rooms.
No media room.
Four or five car garage.
South facing backyard with lots of windows.
House is long east and west and not a lot of windows on east and west side of house. Shade trees on east and west side of house to keep house cool in summer.
Super hot water dispenser on kitchen sink.
Trash compactor - absolutely necessary.
High pressure water (street pressure) in backyard and backyard.
Ceiling fans in every room.
No pool but house in neighborhood with community pool. Kids would rather play with other kids than swim in their own pool. Also, high cost/use for backyard pools.
No formal living room.
Great room.
Laptop stations everywhere in the house.
Central vac.
Large neighborhood lot, maybe 1/3 acre. Anything bigger is too low kid density. Kids want lots of friends to play with. Big lots suck for that reason.
End of cul de sac.

Finally, all neighborhood moms would be hot Stepford Wives robots acquiescing to the needs of all the neighborhood men.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Manderly, how would you have your dungeon furnished ? Surely with the latest in chains and modern devices. It could be your media room after work hours, nice dark & well insulated.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I spent most of my time in the prison tower.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I spent most of my time in the prison tower.
At least you have a room with a million dollar view.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
We are a 5 person household. We just bought a house and LOVE the floorplan.

When you walk in there is a nice entry hall. The living room is on the right.

To the left is an office and a hallway with a guest suite at the end of the hallway. My son keeps his drum set and synthesizer in there so he can play without disturbing the rest of the house. I also like the office at the front of the house so the kids can do homework without being distracted by the tv in the family room (if I have it on).

Upstairs from the guest suite there is a large media room, bathroom and kitchenette. It's great because if someone is watching tv up there it does not disturb the rest of the house. We are looking forward to football season up there.

When you walk in the house you have a beautiful view of the pool down a long hallway. There is a long hallway with two secondary bedrooms (all suites) and a powder room on the right and the dining room on the left.

The kitchen opens to the family room but is not visible from the dining room. I can also see the pool from the kitchen. I like the fact that if we have company and there is a mess in the kitchen we can sit down to our meal without overlooking the mess in the kitchen. There is a breakast area within the kitchen for everyday dining.

The master suite is to the left of the family room. It has french doors that open to the pool (with shades).

There is one more bedroom suite to the right of the family room. That bathroom has a door to the outside that can be used as a cabana bath when we are entertaining.

The patio/pool is accessible from the family room. There is a large covered area as well as a summer kitchen (which we only use in the winter in FL) and a pool surrounded by tropical landscaping. There are two tiki huts with lights and fans outside as well.

Did I say that I LOVE this house? It's around 5600 sf.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
5 family floorplan?

well if each family had mom, dad, and two kids, that's 20 people. i'd probably make 2/3 of the house a screened-in porch sitting on a concrete slab, and put 20 cots out there. i reckon the rest of the house would consist mainly of bathrooms, a kitchen, and some air conditioning.

no more vacuuming, you could just hose that sucker down.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
I've actually never seen a 5 family floor plan. I've seen lots of 4 plexes, some triplexes and a ton of duplex, but 5 plexes are rare. So I don't have a favorite floor plan, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate