Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 4,568 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I've recently been walking through local neighborhoods (Baltimore area) in the evenings after work and noticed that a lot of these neighborhoods have properties that are listed, sign out front, on the market - But, the yards are almost always a mess. Some may be REOs, some may be regular sales/etc, some are for rent, but either rate, the bushes are untended, lawns are grown out, weeds about the places/etc. So, I was thinking that I would like to try to get to tending these lawns while they're on the market. I have the equipment, and would guess that you'd need to be licensed/insured, but aside of that, who would I contact to do this? Agents? Owners? Brokerages? Are these lawns untended because the RE companies don't want to spend the money, or is it that there's too much demand to keep up with it/no one's fulfilling the niche'? Any and all answers appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM

336 posts, read 927,290 times
Around here, the banks/agents representing distressed properties just don't stay on top of it. They usually have the people to do the work, but they wait for a complaint it seems.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 PM

Would it be more worthwhile to hit up individual agents/companies, or go for banks, mortgage co's/etc? Thoughts? I realize this isn't an ideal time to start this (seasonally speaking) but I appreciate any input!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Any time you can deal locally you are better off and will have better luck getting paid. I would not even try to do work for the big banks, it might take you 90 or more days to get your money.

Talk to local agents who have homes listed in your neighborhood. Many times we pay guys like you the day the work is done.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 PM

336 posts, read 927,290 times
I'd go to the local agents too, good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys, one last thing. Does it really make a difference to get yourself some decent insurance (like a small policy for $100k) or just go uninsured like you would persay you were to mow your next door neighbors yard.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:15 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I agree that if you approach the real estate offices representing these properties it may be more efficient than trying to contact the owner of the property / bank. That said if there is no budget for lawbpn care from the owner the agent / broker is not going to be eager to float the care / costs.

I would try to talk informally with a business insurance firm to determine the costs / benefits of immuring yourself, but realistically unless younhave clients lined up and eager to pay it probably is not worth getting coverage until you are sure it makes sense. As a self employed lawn care provider no sane person would expect you to have huge liability policy, and honestly unless you are a boon there is not much to screwup on most lawns...

If the places are all close buy this could be easy work, but do not kid yourself that you can make much. It is hard to get people to pay on tome for anything these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate