Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 10:00 PM

34 posts, read 92,145 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new here, and want to know more about buying home. My Uncle want to buy a new home. He is a peace loving person, and looking for a home apart from crowd and hasty world. So If someone can suggest something related to this, It will be really helpful.
He want that in his home, there should be a big garden with lovely flowers, with a easy chair near the garden, and dawn light warm his morning everyday.

Thanks and regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:37 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,273,923 times
I live in a townhome where the downstairs is just one big giant room. The kitchen is open, which i just don't like! Watching TV and my husband comes in the kitchen area banging things around trying to cook, it gets irritating. I just don't understand the great allure of the open concept for homes. When you have dirty dishes in the open concept, everyone will know it. Plus I need a bigger kitchen or one laid out much better. Squared off at least. The sink/dishwasher area is rounded, facing out to the living area, and I find it doesn't help in placement of furniture too well. The only one happy about the kitchen having two ways to enter and exit are the cats as they chase each other around.

My dream home criteria:
At least 2,000 sf
3-4 bedrooms(one for us, one for guests, one for an exercise room and one for my husbands office or a den.) Hers and his separate walk in closets.
Big deep soaking tub in the master bathroom, separate from the huge walk in shower with seats.
No need for the double sink in the master bath. We have never been in the bathroom at the same time except for when showering together.
Granite would be nice in the kitchen and bath, but it is not imperative. Just something durable that looks nice is ok for me.

A living room, an eat in kitchen, no formal dining room that we never use anyway. A patio area in the back yard, maybe a small plot of grass for the kitties to lay in with a super high wall that they could never climb. A pool would be nice, but the upkeep might be a pain.
A sun room for the kitties.
A green house for growing food during the winter. Also a garden to grow veggies and fruit tree's all over and a grapevine.

No neighbors so close you can shake hands while they are in the bathroom and vice versa. No low flying airplanes/helicopters/military jets. A quiet neighborhood, where you can hear a pin drop blocks away.
A 3 car garage. One side for the car, and the other part for storage/workshop.
A small castle on a hill overlooking the town below might do just fine.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Hope you're prepared to age in place

Yup. It's my first house, but I waited and saved so long, we were able to put almost 50% down...the mortgage is negligible despite the cost of the home. Because of the area, we will absolutely see a return on our investment 30 years from now, when we retire. And now we're ready to fill it with kids.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yikes! Agreed!
I cant even imagine trying to maintain a home that is nearly 3000 sf more than my little house. Cleaning five bathrooms? No thanks! And having to have cleaning ladies and gardeners, while a nice concept, kinda bugs me to think about strangers hanging around your home all the time; like the property exists to keep them employed lol. Obviously you should be able to live wherever and in whatever size home and property you wish but it certainly does affect how much time it consumes to take of it.

Me, a historic, walkable neighborhood close to the city, a sweet architectural cottage, a beautiful garden and great close by neighbors who drop in for a glass of wine and a chat. That'll do.

Fortunately for me I have all of that, my first house is my last. 1928 Spanish Revival, 1800 sf 3BR 3BA and den, a terraced canyon garden in a great 100 y.o. neighborhood 1 1/2 miles from downtown. It would be off the list for much of the population of house hunters in this country, yet anyone who sees it is immediately entranced.

It is nice to read about others with more modest aspirations here, a home is what you make it.
It's all a matter of layout. Over 1000 square feet of this house is tucked away in a corner upstairs (three bed, 2 bath) and we don't even have to heat/cool that until someone is living up there. We do clean it - but maybe vacuum once a month and clean the bathrooms/dust at that time. But it's ready to go when we start our family (we're trying right now!).

No matter how big or small my home was, I'd always get people to help clean/maintain it. My time is way too valuable to spend doing that (except for home chores I really enjoy - cooking, decorating...and for some reason, vacuuming; I love vacuuming).

My father always said that if you take how much you make an hour and you can pay someone else to do the job for significantly less, you should consider having them do it. Plus, with my bad back, bending and stooping to clean/garden is not a great idea.

Plus, in our culture, it is the duty of those who have more money to employ those who have less.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM

472 posts, read 854,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's all a matter of layout. Over 1000 square feet of this house is tucked away in a corner upstairs (three bed, 2 bath) and we don't even have to heat/cool that until someone is living up there. We do clean it - but maybe vacuum once a month and clean the bathrooms/dust at that time. But it's ready to go when we start our family (we're trying right now!).

No matter how big or small my home was, I'd always get people to help clean/maintain it. My time is way too valuable to spend doing that (except for home chores I really enjoy - cooking, decorating...and for some reason, vacuuming; I love vacuuming).

My father always said that if you take how much you make an hour and you can pay someone else to do the job for significantly less, you should consider having them do it. Plus, with my bad back, bending and stooping to clean/garden is not a great idea.

Plus, in our culture, it is the duty of those who have more money to employ those who have less.
That's great, sounds like you are a true owner that can actually afford the house and not a poser/wannabe/keeping up with the Joneses type person.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
That's great, sounds like you are a true owner that can actually afford the house and not a poser/wannabe/keeping up with the Joneses type person.

Lol! How true. What other people think is really the least of my concerns.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
The easiest house to sell is a 3 bedroom 2 bath with a 2 car attached garage, and some curb appeal.
The hardest house to sell is one that no one wants.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm big on location and privacy (no corner lots). i like yard work, so most of what i like is a half acre with mature trees, thick vegetation.. good drainage is important, too, so it is nice to be on a little hill.

as a young single person the math doesn't work out, though. i can afford an old, 1,500 sqft 3/2 house, but it makes more sense financially (and is more fun, stress-free, and sensible) to rent, splitting a 3/3 with two roomates in a premium location for ~35% less per month.
Wouldn't a corner lot give you more privacy? Half the neighbors to worry about as they are only on one side of your home. LOL

Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wouldn't a corner lot give you more privacy? Half the neighbors to worry about as they are only on one side of your home. LOL
The homes with corner lots that I looked at were bounded by homes on two sides, just like other lots. There was one unfortunately-placed home, where the front doors of 6 or 7 neighbors' houses would've been facing your house, so no matter where you stood on the property, someone's house was facing you. That would drive me nuts.

What mainly bothers me about corner lots, is how people can see your back yard from the street. I like having a secluded backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate