Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,521 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been trying to sell our home in Memphis for quite some time now - by owner and by agent. We live in a great neighborhood, great public school district, great house. What is going on with the real estate market in this city? We are so frustrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,030,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphismom1 View Post
My husband and I have been trying to sell our home in Memphis for quite some time now - by owner and by agent. We live in a great neighborhood, great public school district, great house. What is going on with the real estate market in this city? We are so frustrated!
MM, hang in there......it's not just Memphis, it's the same over most of the country and been that way for several years. The lack of jobs is also hurting home buyers.

I know of several homes that were appraised at $300k 4-5 years ago that have sold for half that recently.....

Maybe your asking price is a bit high for the existing comps in your neighborhood..... You have to have the most appealing house in the area...at the right price...

IMO....Bones....good luck

Old 09-18-2010, 09:18 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,978,972 times
Simple supply and demand.....way more homes on the market than potential buyers - and many of those buyers are looking to find a steal on a foreclosure rather a "normal" sale. Unfortunately, it's going to take the market years to improve much. There are still lots of foreclosures in the pipeline, the unemployment picture isn't going to improve quickly, people with iffy credit and no downpayment aren't going to get a loan.

You have to understand that the oversupply was fueled by poor lending standards that allowed just about anyone to purchase a home....without regard to whether they could actually afford to pay for it. Now that lenders have returned to more traditional standards -and even more conservative than that in some cases - the supply of qualified buyers has been reduced substantially.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,724 times
what part of town and school district, if you don't mind me asking

Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,978,972 times
Don't understand why this post was moved since it was specifically about the Memphis housing market!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,761,184 times
The first reason is price... the second reason is price... and the third reason is price... you can't sell because its priced on what you think its worth, not what the buyers think its worth...

Old 09-18-2010, 09:46 PM

15,509 posts, read 40,224,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Don't understand why this post was moved since it was specifically about the Memphis housing market!
The mods are on overdrive. They moved a Raleigh post into the real estate forum as well.

OP, maybe if you post a few pictures of your home on here we can see if there is anything that might be turning off potential buyers? Some folks have done that and I think they found the suggestions helpful to improve the marketing of their home.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,037,594 times
Possibly price and presentation. Two houses in my neighborhood went under contract/sold recently. They were priced right and showed beautifully. Another house (right next door to the one that sold) is priced lower and been on the market way longer, and still hasn't sold! I think it's because doesn't show well and not staged.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:11 PM

80 posts, read 266,242 times
Note: If you've already done the below things, good for you. Keeping hanging in there.

My husband and I recently bought a house -- we looked at quite a few in some nice neighborhoods. We were shocked at the "show" condition of some homes when we walked through. While buyers should be looking at features and layout rather than decoration, the in-between stuff will get you. Buyers probably won't care about wall colors, rugs, and such (that stuff being done nicely will help), but they will take stock of gouged walls, broken tile, water damage, etc. as either future repair costs or just as turnoffs.

You REALLY need to declutter and clean up to entice people. Potential buyers are likely looking at a bunch of houses and yours is up against some good stuff out there right now. Repair things you've let slide and make your home look well taken care of. We're not talking that it has to look like a pro decorator came through, or that you spent hundreds on new countertops or whatever. At the least, what is there just needs to be in good condition and clean. Update if you can spare the cash. Watch HGTV for tips on foo-fooing things up a bit on a small budget. (You know, scrub your toilet & tile, fix the grout, hang a pretty new shower curtain and towel, hide your Preparation H, and dehair the brush. Ta-da!)

Consider re-purposing some spaces for "show" but don't go overboard. We saw a few houses with some of the worst "finished out" spaces I've ever seen. Attics that were DIY finished out and sold as regular living space -- that looked like utter ****. I'm sorry to be blunt, but don't try to sell people that crap. Put stuff in it to make it look like extra storage space if that's all it's worth. Let the real estate agent or buyer be the one who says, "Oh, this could be a nice extra bedroom." Or get a professional to come and fix it up.

Keep in mind that any repairs you don't want to do may follow you to the inspection and bite you one way or the other (contract repair conditions or reduced price).

Addendum: Pet filth and damage was something that would make us walk out of any home viewing almost immediately. If you have animals in your house, make sure a buyer can't smell or see signs of their living there beyond perhaps the bed and bowl. Same thing probably goes for smoking damage (yellowing) and odor.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,761,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
Possibly price and presentation. Two houses in my neighborhood went under contract/sold recently. They were priced right and showed beautifully. Another house (right next door to the one that sold) is priced lower and been on the market way longer, and still hasn't sold! I think it's because doesn't show well and not staged.
Or perhaps the other house is in extreme disrepair... I have seen similar houses in a neighborhood.... I can't believe the amount of repair needed on some homes, its like they didn't even care for the house as if it was their own home... the OP seem to think the home is in great shape and is enthusiastic about selling it therefore, presentation probably isn't bad either..... so it comes back down to price...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate