U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
 
40 posts, read 51,270 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Younger sister is buying a house and there have been many counter-offers going back and forth.

The last counter-offer where buyers and sellers signed was about 4 counters ago, every counter since then only 1 party had signed and the other does not accept.

Here is the question (to the best of my ability, sister not here to get other details); Seller/sister was the one who sent out the last counter-offer. According to the buyers agent the buyers will not sign this counter offer unless something else is addressed first.

So the question is, does the email from the buyers agent saying they might except it and might sign it if "this or that" stipulation is met constitute a rejection of the counter offer all together?

Since this real estate agent represents the buyer I was thinking that she is speaking on the buyers behalf and is rejecting the offer as written. Am I right?

There is no expiration date to this counter-offer by the way.

Also, if sister does not want to wait for an answer can she consider the email from the buyers agent as a rejection on behalf of her buyers?

Can sister submit another counter-offer that might be more pleasing to the buyers now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2010, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Kailua Kona, HI
2,800 posts, read 6,767,551 times
Reputation: 2529
What does your sister's agent say?? No one here could possibly advise someone who has representation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: South Metro Denver for 25 years
8,861 posts, read 20,301,857 times
Reputation: 4632
any counter that was sighed by both parties makes that a part of the offer making it a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
 
40 posts, read 51,270 times
Reputation: 35
2bindenver,

Thanks for the info, it's been helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
 
3,067 posts, read 2,387,249 times
Reputation: 1926
Quote:
Originally Posted by momobear71 View Post
Younger sister is buying a house and there have been many counter-offers going back and forth.

The last counter-offer where buyers and sellers signed was about 4 counters ago, every counter since then only 1 party had signed and the other does not accept.

Here is the question (to the best of my ability, sister not here to get other details); Seller/sister was the one who sent out the last counter-offer. According to the buyers agent the buyers will not sign this counter offer unless something else is addressed first.

So the question is, does the email from the buyers agent saying they might except it and might sign it if "this or that" stipulation is met constitute a rejection of the counter offer all together?

Since this real estate agent represents the buyer I was thinking that she is speaking on the buyers behalf and is rejecting the offer as written. Am I right?

There is no expiration date to this counter-offer by the way.

Also, if sister does not want to wait for an answer can she consider the email from the buyers agent as a rejection on behalf of her buyers?

Can sister submit another counter-offer that might be more pleasing to the buyers now?
If there is a counter offer that they both signed it is considered that both parties agreed to what is written unless there also is written on the counter something like "this counter is subject to counter 2" or 3 or whatever the next would be.

No expiration date? Someones agent screwed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
 
458 posts, read 1,029,983 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by momobear71 View Post
Younger sister is buying a house and there have been many counter-offers going back and forth.

The last counter-offer where buyers and sellers signed was about 4 counters ago, every counter since then only 1 party had signed and the other does not accept.

Here is the question (to the best of my ability, sister not here to get other details); Seller/sister was the one who sent out the last counter-offer. According to the buyers agent the buyers will not sign this counter offer unless something else is addressed first.

So the question is, does the email from the buyers agent saying they might except it and might sign it if "this or that" stipulation is met constitute a rejection of the counter offer all together?

Since this real estate agent represents the buyer I was thinking that she is speaking on the buyers behalf and is rejecting the offer as written. Am I right?

There is no expiration date to this counter-offer by the way.

Also, if sister does not want to wait for an answer can she consider the email from the buyers agent as a rejection on behalf of her buyers?

Can sister submit another counter-offer that might be more pleasing to the buyers now?
So is your sister the buyer or the seller? You say she's buying a house at the beginning, then in the middle you say she's the seller. Frankly, I can't puzzle together the rest of your post without knowing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
 
40 posts, read 51,270 times
Reputation: 35
Sheriwx,

Thanks for pointing that out to me, my mistake, sorry. She is selling, not buying.

The update from her is that the buyers supposedly accept her offer but they wont' sign the proposal she was offering them until she meets some other condition first.

To me that seems like a rejection not an acceptance, her husband thinks so too.

But the buyers are not making any written counter offers. They are saying that they accept her offer/addendum, but wont sign in until they agree to "x".

I do not understand why the buyers just don't write another counter with whatever changes they want. Seems to me if they simply refuse to accept it, or counter it, then it is the same as rejecting it.

Her husband thinks that since there is no time limit on the addendum that they are just taking their time. Plus my sister said that up until this piont any changes proposed by either side has been in writing and either accepted or they keep changing it til both parties are satisfied, except for this time.

It also seems weird because their entire contract is about to expire all together. I don't understand their strategy, if they have one.

Someone suggested to her that maybe the buyers are looking to get out of the deal all together. But they can do that already. They can outright reject what she is offering for repairs and get their monies back.

It just seems way more complicated than it has to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM
 
40 posts, read 51,270 times
Reputation: 35
Nocontengencies,

You are right, her agent messed up!

Quote: "both parties agreed to what is written unless there also is written on the counter something like "this counter is subject to counter 2" or 3 or whatever the next would be."

That's the problem, The buyers won't put a written counter offer on the table. Only emails and phone calls from their agent saying do "this and that" and then we sign.

The buyers say they will sign the counter if my sister and her husband do x. I told her then the buyers need to put that in writing just like all the other offers and counter offers that have been bounced back and forth between them.

She is upset because her husband is suspicious and says if they won't put their requests/counter offers in writing he simply won't acknowledge any request they make until they do. But my sister does not want to lose the deal.

Any reasons as to why they would not send them a signed counter offer in writing as they have been doing all along? What could they possibly gain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 AM
 
1 posts, read 380 times
Reputation: 10
I am looking to purchase a 1 bedroom condo and going back and forth with the seller. She listed extremely high for the area at 200k and my realtor looked at the comps in the area and they are more like 130- 140k I think she realized and dropped her asking price to 189k - I offered her 158k due to I went to see the condo and it needs a lot of work. New flooring and painting badly. The appliances are also really old and dated. She came back with countering me for 175k I said I will pay the 175k as long as she repairs both the flooring and the paints. she has a tenet living there now for 6 years and the condo is extremely dirty and needs work. She has now come back and said 171k no repairs and that once we close escrow I have to wait 7 days so that she can get her tenet out. How am I supposed to move into a condo that I have to repair the floors, paint and clean out after her tenet moves...? Please advise. I am not sure about the deal. I like the condo but it will need a lot of work and she is not willingly to pay for these repairs. thx Maverick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
15,621 posts, read 12,953,704 times
Reputation: 27028
Are the comps very recent? If so, you may need to walk away as you will likely be overpaying AND paying for repairs/updates on top of that.

If the appliances work but are just old, you could replace those over time.

But my biggest concern would be that with a tenant living there, you may not have seen ALL the wear and tear that exists.

What has your agent advised you to do? I would counter again and not require her to make repairs but to have the tenant out and THEN inspect it.

But I wouldn't do any of that if I'm paying too much for it in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top