Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 45,632 times

Advertisements

The results of a 48-hour Air Chek-brand radon test just came back and show an average reading of 2.3 pCi/l. The first 42 hours of the test gave readings of between 0.0 pCi/l and 2.9 pCi/l with an average of about 1.2 pCi/l, however the last 6 hours of the test gave readings of 3.9, 5.8, 8.1, 10.2, 11.9, and 13.1 pCi/l, respectively. This test was performed in a house that I'm buying so I don't know if the conditions in the testing area remained consistent, however, I do know that the temperature fluctuated in tandem with the radon levels. Should I retest the house or trust the low average?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 21,951 times
Weather conditions can cause radon levels to fluctuate. Assuming you have a real estate agent that represents you, consult with your agent and the radon inspector about the best approach.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM

I don't have a realtor, this is a for-sale-by-owner property.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 21,951 times
Then, you will want to consult the attorney that is closing the transaction about your contractual options, since the contract likely addresses a radon test.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM

I've already spoken to my attorney... I have the option to retest but I'm not sure if it's necessary since the average was below 4.0 pCi/l. This is not a transaction question, it's a technical radon test question.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:24 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Acceptable radon levels vs. Safe radon levels

After reading this you should either demand that the seller installs a mitigation system or walk.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Who did the test?

Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Acceptable radon levels vs. Safe radon levels

After reading this you should either demand that the seller installs a mitigation system or walk.
There was actually a test that took place prior to the test I referenced above. The first test came back at 4.6 pCi/l with no hourly breakdown, however, I (regretfully) authorized a second test to be performed because I know how inaccurate 48-hour tests can be. The second test, the one this thread pertains to, resulted in an average reading of 2.7 pCi/l which is within the EPA guideline of 4.0 pCi/l. My questions pertains to the large jump in the hourly breakdown... the fact that within two days there were reading of 0.0 pCi/l... NO radon... to 13+ pCi/l confuses me. I don't know if large spikes like the one I had are normal occasional occurrences or cause for concern.

When I authorized the second test, performed by a home inspection company, I made sure that I had a chance to have a third test performed.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,303 times
If there is a lab that authorizes the test result, I would call them and ask the questions.

I looked at the Air Chek website, and I see only charcoal type kits and Alpha Track for long term tests. Was a continous monitor used?

How did the temperature readings fluctuate?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
If there is a lab that authorizes the test result, I would call them and ask the questions.

I looked at the Air Chek website, and I see only charcoal type kits and Alpha Track for long term tests. Was a continous monitor used?

How did the temperature readings fluctuate?
My guess is that a continuous monitor must have been used because I was provided with hourly data for 48 hours. The temperature stayed a consistent 60 - 63 degrees while the radon readings were low and spiked to 70 degrees exactly when the the radon readings spiked to ~13 pCi/l. I figured the temperature caused the radon spike, but on a year-round basis, the average may be below EPA's accepted 4.0 pCi/l... I just don't have the time for a long-term test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate