U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 10-25-2010, 06:49 PM
3 posts, read 9,079 times
Reputation: 10


I am looking at a property in WV that does not have deeded access -- the property has been accessed for decades via driveway that is owned by adjoining subdivision. The shared driveway has non-exclusive right of way reserved for the owners in the subdivision. Obviously this will be a contingency in the purchase contract that the buyer will be granted the easement for access. I am wondering who the right person is to grant the easement?

And what is the recommended course of action leading up to settlement? I am thinking:
1. Buyer to approve the exact description of the granted easement
2. Seller to have the easement recorded with county
3. The preliminary title report is run
4. The preliminary title report must contain the easement (this will be a contingency in the contract). This is so that the easement can be covered by title insurance.

Does this sound like a correct sequence of events? I just want to make sure that the easement issue is handled correctly. Am I missing anything?

I am also wondering how long it typically takes for the easement to be reflected in the title report after it has been recorded with county (between steps 2 and 3). Are we talking days, weeks, or months?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 AM
7,386 posts, read 16,816,853 times
Reputation: 7658
Make sure you obtain title insurance (enhanced policy) on the property. There many nuances in obtaining an ingress/egress and what is acceptable to not only the county for recording, but the title company, as well. The new lender will close, and the title company will issue insurance, subject to the easement being recorded.....meaning, you can proceed provided your title company provides evidence the easement was recorded prior to loan closing. If you are paying cash, then you only need to worry about the title insurance. There is no reason to wait unless you have separate parties handling the easement and the closing. If that is the case, contact the title company and see what their requirements are - most likely it's a copy of the recorded document and a court clerk's receipt for recording.

Note: not meant to be a substitute for legal advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM
3 posts, read 9,079 times
Reputation: 10
What is an enhanced policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top