Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Not,perhaps, pertinent to the OPs specific complaint about ethics but....we, too, had a very unique house that was not going to attract the usual buyer.

It took a long time to find the one that loved it..........and, during that 'long time' the general decline in prices brought our house value down with them.

If declines are still happening where you are, you might do yourself a favor by lowering the price now rather than finding yourself accepting the same amount a year or so from now.
At least give that consideration to see if it may apply to you and your location.

We ended up accepting a price we had declined much earlier.(In an ordinary market, it was have been reasonable to decline....the only reason for the price was it was all the buyers had.....champagne tastes, beer pocketbook)
One problem with unique properties is that no matter the price, you have to love it to buy it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:46 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Not,perhaps, pertinent to the OPs specific complaint about ethics but....we, too, had a very unique house that was not going to attract the usual buyer.

It took a long time to find the one that loved it..........and, during that 'long time' the general decline in prices brought our house value down with them.

If declines are still happening where you are, you might do yourself a favor by lowering the price now rather than finding yourself accepting the same amount a year or so from now.
At least give that consideration to see if it may apply to you and your location.

We ended up accepting a price we had declined much earlier.(In an ordinary market, it was have been reasonable to decline....the only reason for the price was it was all the buyers had.....champagne tastes, beer pocketbook)
One problem with unique properties is that no matter the price, you have to love it to buy it
This is completely true, but I'm sorry 5 showings and 5 weeks later asking for a price reduction on a unique home? I don't buy that. I'd want to know why my agent wasn't more aggressive from the beginning if they felt that we needed a price drop so quickly on a unique property.

People are always undercutting on cookie cutter homes, so yes, I could totally see a price drop on those after 5 weeks if some new listings popped up undercutting your listing. Unique properties need to be competitively priced, absolutely, and then you have to wait for that person who just loves it's quirks. I just think 5 weeks smacks of what MAM was talking about. The agent agreed with them to get the listing and now is trying to bring the price inline with the market.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:53 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is completely true, but I'm sorry 5 showings and 5 weeks later asking for a price reduction on a unique home? I don't buy that. I'd want to know why my agent wasn't more aggressive from the beginning if they felt that we needed a price drop so quickly on a unique property.

People are always undercutting on cookie cutter homes, so yes, I could totally see a price drop on those after 5 weeks if some new listings popped up undercutting your listing. Unique properties need to be competitively priced, absolutely, and then you have to wait for that person who just loves it's quirks. I just think 5 weeks smacks of what MAM was talking about. The agent agreed with them to get the listing and now is trying to bring the price inline with the market.
If 5 buyers looked already is it "unique" in a bad way? For 5 buyers to come in and feel it's priced more than they were willing to pay, it probably does need a reduction.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If 5 buyers looked already is it "unique" in a bad way? For 5 buyers to come in and feel it's priced more than they were willing to pay, it probably does need a reduction.
I've sold a couple of mid-century modern homes and they are just different. People come in to see them that really aren't interested in that kind of architecture. One person's feedback was that the house was confusing. I'm still stymied by that feedback, but if I discounted the price so quickly because one showing gave me that feedback we'd be in trouble. Modern homes have a very, very small pool of buyers that like that style. Most showings are just people that are curious, but have no intention of buying the house.

There is a house on our market that has a zen garden inside the house. It will take a special buyer to walk in and love that place. Floor plan is fine; location is fine; it's just very zen. Sometimes...you just have to wait.

I have a listing like that now. The owners know it will take a while to sell. We have lots of people "intrigued" by the property who come to see it but I know they aren't the buyer for the property. The fact is that most people like cookie cutter homes. When you deviate from that, it potentially means lots of showings and lots of waiting.

In my market 5 showings in 5 weeks on a unique property means that buyers think you are in the ball park. They wouldn't even bother if you were so far out of whack.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
Quote:
How many books/classes/work experiences do you have? Here's your chance to prove yourself to me as someone that should be listened to.
Prove myself to you as someone who can be listened too? Maybe if you were someone important I would care about your approval but your not so I don't.

Good day!

Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
I've sold a couple of mid-century modern homes and they are just different. People come in to see them that really aren't interested in that kind of architecture. One person's feedback was that the house was confusing. I'm still stymied by that feedback, but if I discounted the price so quickly because one showing gave me that feedback we'd be in trouble. Modern homes have a very, very small pool of buyers that like that style. Most showings are just people that are curious, but have no intention of buying the house.

I have a listing like that now. The owners know it will take a while to sell. We have lots of people "intrigued" by the property who come to see it but I know they aren't the buyer for the property. The fact is that most people like cookie cutter homes. When you deviate from that, it potentially means lots of showings and lots of waiting.

BINGO !!

That is exactly the case here. Once you eliminate the neighbors (who just wanna snoop) and the idle curious, the serious lookers with the money to buy are infrequent. That's what I expected .....

BTW.... How do I know all this ??
Hint..think in terms of multiple baby cam monitors...

As a homeowner trying to sell your property weren't you always curious what the lookers/and agents were REALLY saying ??

Last edited by JBrown; 11-15-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Hint..think in terms of multiple baby cam monitors...

You know I was totally with you until you said this. This is just so wrong. You also need to check your state laws. In my state you can video record, but NOT audio record a conversation unless you are part of the conversation...yes, even in your own home. We are a one party state meaning that one party has to be a voice on the tape to record the conversation.

Ugh...please, please stop doing the audio recordings.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Prove myself to you as someone who can be listened too? Maybe if you were someone important I would care about your approval but your not so I don't.

Good day!
Why are you getting offended? I simply stated that you bash Realtors a lot and was curious what experiences you've had to base that on? Your reply makes me think you don't really have anything but an ill formed misconception of the industry, possibly off of only 1 transaction.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Why are you getting offended? I simply stated that you bash Realtors a lot and was curious what experiences you've had to base that on? Your reply makes me think you don't really have anything but an ill formed misconception of the industry, possibly off of only 1 transaction.
I'm guessing it's because there isn't much to back up his opinions.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
You know I was totally with you until you said this. This is just so wrong. You also need to check your state laws. In my state you can video record, but NOT audio record a conversation unless you are part of the conversation...yes, even in your own home. We are a one party state meaning that one party has to be a voice on the tape to record the conversation.

Ugh...please, please stop doing the audio recordings.
When I said baby cam monitors you thought in terms of baby room monitors.
The later is strictly an audio device. Cam is as in Camera. We've all seen horrific videos made by concerned mothers that have video taped baby sitters they've suspected of abusing their child when they're away. Has stood up in court time and time again.

BTW...it's not something I did specifically for this situation. It's part of an internal/external security system.

Last edited by JBrown; 11-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: further explanation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate