Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 03:37 PM

70 posts, read 120,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoak View Post
"They are actually being told by the broker to sell in the other area unless the buyer asks about another area."

Be careful what you say. You are basically accusing the broker of a serious charge with this statement. It is illegal for any one in real estate to do that. Your house could not be selling because it does not have the exposure needed, it is not priced right or it does not show well. There are various reasons why your house is not selling other than the broker doing something illegal.
What they are doing is not illegal. They are in that area and that is the area they sell in. They just tell their brokers that they will make a better living selling in that area.

What would you do?

BTW it is already settled. There is nothing I can do about it now. Price is dropped, incentive is gone, and we will be renting something after the sale. I don't think it will be here now since housing prices are going up and rents are too, but it will be ok. The stress of it is gone. I am resolved that things are the way they are and I am ok with that. I was just trying to find a proactive way to promote my house and get it in front of some "biased" agents.

Sorry I offended so many people, it was unintentional.

Angel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Unfortunately, you still don't understand . . . what you were describing would be illegal . . . so much you don't know about real estate and so many assumptions.

Ask your agent do to a CMA for you so you can evaluate the current pricing against your competition. And maybe go see the homes of the competition so you can really judge what you're up against.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Actually, that agency has 8 of the 15 listings, so they don't have it cornered. I doubt the broker is telling those agents to steer clear. I think I know who you are talking about, and although I agree that he is a first-class jerk - in reality, he couldn't probably care less about where their buyers bought, just that they bought.

I definately agree the cross has got to go. Yes, we are in the Bible Belt, and chock full of agnostics, atheists, Muslims, and other religions besides Christianity. You don't want to deliberately attach things to your house like a cross or the Star of David or anything else like that when trying to sell. The house need to be as neutral as possible, and that includes religious symbols.

Pack the cross away for when you move, take better pictures and good luck.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Actually, that agency has 8 of the 15 listings, so they don't have it cornered. I doubt the broker is telling those agents to steer clear. I think I know who you are talking about, and although I agree that he is a first-class jerk - in reality, he couldn't probably care less about where their buyers bought, just that they bought.

I definately agree the cross has got to go. Yes, we are in the Bible Belt, and chock full of agnostics, atheists, Muslims, and other religions besides Christianity. You don't want to deliberately attach things to your house like a cross or the Star of David or anything else like that when trying to sell. The house need to be as neutral as possible, and that includes religious symbols.

Pack the cross away for when you move, take better pictures and good luck.
Chery:

Yes I think you do know who I am talking about. He never told the agents to steer clear, just that "if you want to make a living at this, sell in C----R----"I know he says that because I know someone who works for him.

The Cross...I told my husband to take it down - he doesn't want to but I told him it is either that or pay for the sign in the yard for nothing. He is taking it down. Pictures....I don't have any money to pay for pictures so I have to do my best. My realtor thought they were fine, but I hear you. I just wish I knew which ones and what was wrong. I am changing a couple of them - showing a front view of the house instead of the angled view and taking out the picture of the butlers pantry and putting in one of the stove side of the kitchen. I am going to look at the ones for the Master Bathroom and Master Bedroom tonight. I don't think those pictures show how big those rooms are. That is all I know to do at this point.

Thanks.

Angel

Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
Here are some other ideas: Make sure your house is as clean as possible, and free of any personal effects. Take down all personal pictures, and remove all clutter. Pack it up and put it in the garage. Clean your carpets with steam cleaner and vinegar. Buy fresh flowers, weekly. When you have a showing, put a few drops of pure vanilla in water in a tea kettle on the stove (of course, you would have to be home to monitor it or do it just before you leave). If you are home for showings, let the Realtor know you are there if any questions, but stay out of the way - buyer's don't like people hovering around when they are trying to assess the house . . . make sure your yard is clean and if you can (don't know if weather permits) plant some flowers . . . anything you can do to present a clean, well-kept, cheerful home will help you sell it . . . oh, and make sure the price is right or you will be posting about this next year, as well! Not saying that to be mean, but many sellers are just unrealistic and their homes do not sell.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah_Angel View Post
Ok I know that there are some of you who are not big fans of Open Houses, I don't really want to hear from you (sorry LOL), because they do work in our area. My question is two fold, but requires the explanation first:

We live in an area where two Mega Real Estate Agencies recently merged. Basically cornering the market here. The problem here is that this agency primarily sells in the higher priced area - I have friends who work for the agency and they are told to start selling there if they want to make a living. This area is touted as the "only" good neighborhood to live in, so people who are moving from out of the area never really get a good picture of what our town is really all about and other great places to live. Let me remind you - this agency has the market. To give you an idea of what I mean, out of the 10 houses for sale in our area, only 3 of them are NOT with this agency. There was a time when we were the only one not with the agency.

They will list houses in our neighborhood, but sell in the "more prestigious" area. I personally think it has to do with commissions since the area I live in has homes that are just as beautiful, manicured lawns and great neighbors as well as all custom homes, no cookie cutter homes, but are about $50 to $100 thousand less. We are also in the city limits where the other neighborhood is not. The big difference is the hype IMO.

Question 1: What is the best way to advertise my Open House (I am using flat rate listing service)other than craigslist, and listing the Open House on the MLS and Realtor.com?

Question 2: We have offered an agent incentive of $1000 to the agent who brings us a signed contract for full price that closes in 30 days. It is listed in the agent notes on the MLS, but how do I let agents know about it? Should I mail out flyers to them individually? I don't want it to end up in file 13, I want them to see it and want to show our house - they won't even look at it if we are not in "that certain area".

Thanks

Angel
This agency is unethical and since "steering" is against the law, what they are doing is probably illegal. Where I live, a real estate agent is MANDATED to show a prospective buyer EVERY LISTING that meets their requirements regardless of what we happen to think about the neighborhood. It is up to the buyer to choose which house they want to see and buy - not the agent.

Agencies like this need to be taken down a notch from their high and mighty attitude. This is precisely the reason why I do not play that stupid little game any longer. I'd report them myself, if I were you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2010, 01:49 PM

it is a "he said" "she said" thing. I don't have concrete evidence and the agents aren't going to say anything so really as I said before it is a moot point. I just wanted to get my house noticed in spite of that.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:00 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,645,239 times
Quote:
Ok I know that there are some of you who are not big fans of Open Houses, I don't really want to hear from you (sorry LOL), because they do work in our area. My question is two fold, but requires the explanation first:

We live in an area where two Mega Real Estate Agencies recently merged. Basically cornering the market here. The problem here is that this agency primarily sells in the higher priced area - I have friends who work for the agency and they are told to start selling there if they want to make a living. This area is touted as the "only" good neighborhood to live in, so people who are moving from out of the area never really get a good picture of what our town is really all about and other great places to live. Let me remind you - this agency has the market. To give you an idea of what I mean, out of the 10 houses for sale in our area, only 3 of them are NOT with this agency. There was a time when we were the only one not with the agency.

They will list houses in our neighborhood, but sell in the "more prestigious" area. I personally think it has to do with commissions since the area I live in has homes that are just as beautiful, manicured lawns and great neighbors as well as all custom homes, no cookie cutter homes, but are about $50 to $100 thousand less. We are also in the city limits where the other neighborhood is not. The big difference is the hype IMO.

Question 1: What is the best way to advertise my Open House (I am using flat rate listing service)other than craigslist, and listing the Open House on the MLS and Realtor.com?

Question 2: We have offered an agent incentive of $1000 to the agent who brings us a signed contract for full price that closes in 30 days. It is listed in the agent notes on the MLS, but how do I let agents know about it? Should I mail out flyers to them individually? I don't want it to end up in file 13, I want them to see it and want to show our house - they won't even look at it if we are not in "that certain area".

Thanks

Angel
Helping with the buyers C.C. is what really catches the buyer's eye and not the bonus to the realtor. The buyer is the one who pays you, not the buyer's realtor. As a realtor I prefer to bring my buyer to a transaction where they will save some money and we can close happyly , get paid and move on.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Chery:

Yes I think you do know who I am talking about. He never told the agents to steer clear, just that "if you want to make a living at this, sell in C----R----"I know he says that because I know someone who works for him.
Ahhhhh......my guess is he wants to make his name stronger in that area. It IS all about him, not his agents.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Here are some other ideas: Make sure your house is as clean as possible, and free of any personal effects. Take down all personal pictures, and remove all clutter. Pack it up and put it in the garage. Clean your carpets with steam cleaner and vinegar. Buy fresh flowers, weekly. When you have a showing, put a few drops of pure vanilla in water in a tea kettle on the stove (of course, you would have to be home to monitor it or do it just before you leave). If you are home for showings, let the Realtor know you are there if any questions, but stay out of the way - buyer's don't like people hovering around when they are trying to assess the house . . . make sure your yard is clean and if you can (don't know if weather permits) plant some flowers . . . anything you can do to present a clean, well-kept, cheerful home will help you sell it . . . oh, and make sure the price is right or you will be posting about this next year, as well! Not saying that to be mean, but many sellers are just unrealistic and their homes do not sell.
Yes it is fine, I read the same internet articles you are quoting, but thanks.

Angel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate