Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 308,761 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I know there are quite a few members in here who are real estate professionals. So I thought maybe I could get some good tips on house hunt from the experts but any advice from anyone would be appreciated too!

My question: when is the best time to buy a house? I read that winter and spring is a good time to go on house hunt because more people putting their house on the market in spring and that could mean more competitive = can negotiate better(?), and the market is low in the winter thus sellers maybe are more willing to lower their prices(?)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newie80 View Post
Hi everyone! I know there are quite a few members in here who are real estate professionals. So I thought maybe I could get some good tips on house hunt from the experts but any advice from anyone would be appreciated too!

My question: when is the best time to buy a house? I read that winter and spring is a good time to go on house hunt because more people putting their house on the market in spring and that could mean more competitive = can negotiate better(?), and the market is low in the winter thus sellers maybe are more willing to lower their prices(?)

Thanks!
The best time is when you really can afford it. And if you can, be patient and find something you like within your budget.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
The best time is when you really can afford it. And if you can, be patient and find something you like within your budget.
You're right. We do have the money and time thus we want to put that to our full advantage.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Any RE professional will always tell you NOW......no matter when you ask. They will always tell you the market or mortgage rates are going up, or are projected to go up. In a bad market (which is now) they will tell you that we never know when we have hit bottom but we are close.

And they are, btw, right every time for the time. So the best time to buy is when you have the time, interest, energy, and money. Also when you believe you will be able to own that property for several years (I'd say about 4 years at least) without having to sell it again. I've seen fabulous deals in every season, at high markets and low markets. When the time is right for you, be patient and understand you might find the right place very quickly or it may take 6 months.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 PM

I agree w/ you, Squirl. Thus we thought that since the housing market is slow right now and want to take advantage before it starts up again. but the thing is that I read that a lot of people put their houses on the market in spring - true or not i don't know but would to know....if it's not the case then we could just get the house that we like at anytime instead of waiting until spring to do our house hunt....more suggestions would greatly appreciate!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM

241 posts, read 713,192 times
If you live in the US there should be a huge amount of housing to choose from no matter what time of year

Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
If you're not fussy, you can get better negotiations on houses October-February (especially in Northern climates). However, if you're searching for a dream home, those will not be the cream of the crop, but homes no one would buy during the peak season. Many sellers simply pull their homes off the market and relist the stale donuts (ht MAM) in spring.

Best time to buy is when you find a house that meets all your criteria and you see that it is priced well (in line with recent sales).

Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 AM

77 posts, read 132,008 times
I read somewhere, forgive me, I cannot remember so how good is the data ... It's as good as getting it from any economist of wannabe... For every percentage increase in mortgage rates, we will pay 8% more towards the mortgage on a house.

There is no best time.
1. When mortgage rates are exceedingly low, homeowners believe they can get more for their home because the rates are low. Thus, they have created an inflated market.
2. As mortgage rates rise, there will come a point when the sane and logical ones out there say, "This isn't worth it." Prices will have come down on houses.

But I agree - buy when you know you have the money (cash somewhere even if you get a mortgage) to buy and these days, it better not be job security dependent because that has become a myth. There is no job security.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,860 times
the best time to buy a house is 2002.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
When you find one that feels like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate