U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-17-2007, 10:34 AM

4,252 posts, read 317,074 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We have tried to sell twoproeprties in the past year. One was our own home ; we put it on the market in Nov, never heard a word from the realtor ; oh but she could call enough times to get the listing. Then she called in Jan saying she had pneumonia and was out of action but would be back. Then she came and did an open house for realtors. That resulted in the realtors advising us to drop the price by about $20,000. As it happens, our business didnt sell so we took the hosue off the market. Nothing in our development has sold in the past year.

The second property is a commercial property. It has been on the market since feb, we have dropped the price by $30,000 and still nothing. It seems that I always have to do the calling to the realtor, he never seems to call me. I havent seen it advertised at all and it jsut isnt going anywhere. So I think we will end the listing and rent the building.

How can these realtors justify their 5-6% commissions when they wont even return calls or anything. you are talking about NY here ; and the commissions are equal to about $30,000? Yes, they may spilt the commissions but it still is an awful lot of money. I would love to know how much the advertising costs that they supposidly do?
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 AM

2,153 posts, read 3,580,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
We have tried to sell twoproeprties in the past year. One was our own home ; we put it on the market in Nov, never heard a word from the realtor ; oh but she could call enough times to get the listing. Then she called in Jan saying she had pneumonia and was out of action but would be back. Then she came and did an open house for realtors. That resulted in the realtors advising us to drop the price by about $20,000. As it happens, our business didnt sell so we took the hosue off the market. Nothing in our development has sold in the past year.

The second property is a commercial property. It has been on the market since feb, we have dropped the price by $30,000 and still nothing. It seems that I always have to do the calling to the realtor, he never seems to call me. I havent seen it advertised at all and it jsut isnt going anywhere. So I think we will end the listing and rent the building.

How can these realtors justify their 5-6% commissions when they wont even return calls or anything. you are talking about NY here ; and the commissions are equal to about $30,000? Yes, they may spilt the commissions but it still is an awful lot of money. I would love to know how much the advertising costs that they supposidly do?
d
I had my house on the market for 3 months and ran into the same problem. No contact from the realtor, absolutely no advertising other than realtor.com, etc...

The final nail in the coffin was when the realtor had an open house. Never put a sign in advance saying open house and ONLY advertised in our local paper. A town of 3500 people. They drive by the house constantly, people here know it is for sale, it is the other areas that need the advertisement.

After that incident we pulled it off the market and will be putting it back up the beginning of August as a for sale by owner. I could easily do the job that the realtors we have had seem to do, plus keep quite a bit of money for myself.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,526,238 times
I'm the advertising/marketing person for a real estate company in massachusetts. i create all the ads for the company's listings. The average price of a line ad in the sunday boston globe costs $125.00 (one ad/one day no picture). Add a picture to your line ad in the boston globe and it will cost approximately $200.00 A quarter page ad in the boston globe's special pull out section costs $350.00.

A 2inch x 3 inch ad in Sunday's MetroWest Daily News is $52.00 (if you have an account).

A quarter page ad in a small town local newspaper is $210.00

A full page ad in a high end national publication (like say unique homes) is $3000.00

A quarter page ad in the real estate book guide costs $150.00.

Opps forgot to add these prices do not include the cost of designing the ad because that's what my boss pays me to do.

Last edited by surfingatwork; 07-17-2007 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: forgot to include design costs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate