Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonya1121 View Post
I'm only afraid to leave California weather. That is, after all, why the State boomed in the first place and why everyone wants to be here.

Can you be more specific about areas of Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri and/or Oklahoma? Any liberal towns that aren't flat as far as the eye can see, preferably with access to mountains?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Stay in CA I did and I live on less than you per moth am disabled. The climate is why I stayed. Good place is Paradise, CA good medical, near to snow level if you like scenic view and no shoveling. Many small business es
next large town is a college farmers market Chico, CA rent in mobile/RV park $400
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:59 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,062,681 times
There is the fresno area or inland empire areas. Sacramento is VERY cheap now a days you might want to stay.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,374,840 times
I live in Riverside County - which is Southern California - but inland from the coastal areas. You can buy a three bedroom/two bath home here for about $100,000, so if you put just 20% down, you'd have payments under $500 a month. It's suburban with some rural areas, and about two hours from downtown Los Angeles - so not totally out in the boonies.

You can definitely live in Southern California for a lot less than most of the world thinks - you just have to go inland a little, and be willing to live in an area that is not wealthy. It can be done!

Old 05-13-2011, 02:32 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,941,249 times
You could buy a house for under $50K in Bullhead City, AZ. It's a growing community right on the Colorado River. Gets hot in July, but otherwise the weather is better than Sacramento.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,845,920 times
ive been hearing AZ in general is a great place to head to is you want good prices. and you can absolutly buy a small house on your "take home" if you WANT to buy, as long as your realistic about how much you can realy afford (vs how much the bank will give you and how much your realtor wants you to spend lol) you can find a little something no problem...

but remember buying means your responsible for the maintence too so take that n mind unles you want to live in a condo ect. but AZ might be a very good choice for you buy or rent.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,095,681 times
We bought our retirement home in western TN. Average state income is $19K per person. We bought in the country, but I have my eye on 2 other houses we are considering buying for a friend who is afraid of home ownership. Both the houses are in "town" and both are listed under $40K. Taxes are less than $500 per year, utilities, insurance, mortgage, etc. should run less than $500/mo. If you paid cash, you could easily afford to live in this area.

Peace, quiet, seclusion. Definitely conservative but if you're not raising kids, you don't have to deal with it. We are probably the last people who would be considered conservative but what does it really matter? We will mind our own business and I expect our neighbors will, too.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 PM

31 posts, read 66,155 times
This may not sound appealing to you, but I'm from California and relocated to Ohio, near Cleveland. I live in an apartment community where all the shoveling is done, and I park my car in a heated garage. This past winter, I did not have to take out the shovel once. The cost of living here is incredibly low compared to California and with the Cleveland Clinic nearby, the health care is pretty phenomenal. And, I live in Dennis Kucinich's district, so liberal politicians are not exactly unpopular in this corner of the state. The weather really does take getting used to, and it would be hard to completely avoid shoveling, but there are definitely ways to get around it most days if you live in an apartment or condo community where that's taken care of.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,406,940 times
Houston is so sprawling that you'll have a bit more drive to downtown,

I live about a mile from the West Houston Medical Center. I can drive only short distances (as a result of a stroke five years ago) and do just fine here. Grocery stores, libraries, fast foods, all kinds of shopping -- and, of course, doctors, hospital, physical therapy, etc -- are all just a few blocks away. I've seen many people cruising the area daily on their motorized wheelchairs too.

If I had my druthers, I'd be living in Seattle but this area of Houston is very affordable and offers a lot for the price.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 AM

836 posts, read 1,777,224 times
Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia are all places I considered for cheaper housing
Lived in CA (would love to stay, but PRICES!!!), been to and liked the others mentioned.
Look up the ads on craigslist... might give you some feel of the market, plus, lots of info about towns here on City-data (not the forum part )

Old 05-18-2011, 05:01 AM

836 posts, read 1,777,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I live about a mile from the West Houston Medical Center...
Good info! I had Houston on my list two moves ago!
Might still go there, one day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate