Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times

Advertisements

So basically, this is how I'm reading this.

You had a few houses you were interested in.

You called "Nicole" first (I'm assuming either that was just chance, or maybe that house was your first pick of your list)

If you had gotten "Nicole's" answering machine, you would have gone on to the next one in the stack, and possibly talked to this other agent directly and none of this would have ever been an issue.

So all "Nicole" did was to make the call for you that you intended to make yourself. And now the house you want to make an offer on is one that YOU mentioned to "Nicole" in the first place, and that you never intended her to have anything to do with.

I can't see any way that "Nicole" could be considered to be the procuring cause. I second that you should call the Real Estate Commission and find out their opinion on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
So basically, this is how I'm reading this.

You had a few houses you were interested in.

You called "Nicole" first (I'm assuming either that was just chance, or maybe that house was your first pick of your list)

If you had gotten "Nicole's" answering machine, you would have gone on to the next one in the stack, and possibly talked to this other agent directly and none of this would have ever been an issue.
Thank you for replying.
Yes, something like that. We drove up to the house that was on the top of our favorite list one Saturday and there was her phone number on the "for sale" sign. We figured that we should act fast since that house was very attractive and new on the market. So we called her and met her the same day.
It does sound unrealistic that an agent may insist on some sort of representation and comission for just making a phone call, but everything here in the real world indicates - yes, that is possible. So, it is not a hill of beans, but may be my experience will be helpful to others.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Your topic question is:

"Is that an ethical behavior for a real estate agent?" We all agreed Nicole, as far as we can tell from your explanations, was not ethical.

Then you asked:

"I just wanted to know if that is *anywhere possible that an agent who we see for the fist time in our life, makes a phone call on our behalf to another agent and then thinks that she is entitled to part of the commission. I guess nobody have ever heard of such a thing."

Looks like you're all set now. Best of luck with your decisions and your new place.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:11 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,976,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Thank you very much for all of the replies. I appreciate your support.
No, we did not sign a general buyer -broker agreement, but we did make an offer to her listing with her. That house she represented was way way way underpriced. The sale did not work though and we were thinking we were done with her.

I will definitely hire another agent to work on other houses. What happened was this woman agent, let us call her Nicole, called another agent and arranged our viewing on another house. She was not there herself. That was not her listing and not even the listing of her company. Later we became interested in that house again but the agent whom we offered to represent us in that deal refused. She said that other woman (Nicole) will probably claim her commission and she does not simply want to deal with all that. My husband talked to Nicole over the phone and asked her "BTW, are you entitled to any commission on that particular house (that you did not even show)"? and she said "Yes, but I will ask for a very reasonable amount".
I will definitely hire another agent, just have to find someone who is not afraid of Nicole )))
So don't hire either them. One's dirty and one doesn't understand real estate law and procuring cause.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So don't hire either them. One's dirty and one doesn't understand real estate law and procuring cause.

Agreed. It's also part of our job to deal with unsavory agents. We take on that task so you don't have to.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM

24 posts, read 92,671 times
Letting her be your representative is totally a bad idea. Although you can gain the upper hand by tactfully negotiating a deal with her to be your dual agent.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,459 times
Thank you all, but this is an old thread. We already buying another house and she is not any part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate