Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times

Advertisements

I like to look at local real estate just to kind of keep up on what's happening in my area, and today I came across a listing for a "Lustron" house.
Looks just like this one Davenport, IA Interior Photos

Had to look it up as I had never heard of it before. Only about 2500 ever came to market and they have an interesting history.
It turns out they are post WWII prefab houses made of porcelain coated steel panels on the interior and exterior. (Thinking old time gas stations here, lol.) Many of the features were built ins so if you were someone who liked to change up the look of your interior from time to time these houses probably were not meant for you.
I think they are unique and quirky and if I had some spare cash to invest I'd buy the one in my area simply for the novelty of it. They look like they would make a great rental home, no need to paint it ever!

So if you had the opportunity, would you invest in a unique house like this? Could you live in a house like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I like to look at local real estate just to kind of keep up on what's happening in my area, and today I came across a listing for a "Lustron" house.
Looks just like this one Davenport, IA Interior Photos

Had to look it up as I had never heard of it before. Only about 2500 ever came to market and they have an interesting history.
It turns out they are post WWII prefab houses made of porcelain coated steel panels on the interior and exterior. (Thinking old time gas stations here, lol.) Many of the features were built ins so if you were someone who liked to change up the look of your interior from time to time these houses probably were not meant for you.
I think they are unique and quirky and if I had some spare cash to invest I'd buy the one in my area simply for the novelty of it. They look like they would make a great rental home, no need to paint it ever!

So if you had the opportunity, would you invest in a unique house like this? Could you live in a house like this?

Invest? not sure. I'd have to do a boatload of research first. There is a reason they stopped building them. Not exactly in the realm of the Sears Roebuck "Craftsman" homes, or authentic Victorian era builds, that have stood the tests of time. I do remember those here and there throughout the country, seem to recall seeing them in CA in the 60's. Very unique, don't think I could handle all that "lustre" on the interior.

It would be interesting if you could post what the price was at the time to have one set on a lot. I'm guessing $5,000 ?? maybe.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Invest? not sure. I'd have to do a boatload of research first. There is a reason they stopped building them. Not exactly in the realm of the Sears Roebuck "Craftsman" homes, or authentic Victorian era builds, that have stood the tests of time. I do remember those here and there throughout the country, seem to recall seeing them in CA in the 60's. Very unique, don't think I could handle all that "lustre" on the interior.

It would be interesting if you could post what the price was at the time to have one set on a lot. I'm guessing $5,000 ?? maybe.
Excerpts from the website:
"Between 1946 and 1948, Lustron received orders for 20,000 homes"
"
Only 2,498 of those orders were filled before the Lustron Corporation declared bankruptcy in 1950."
"Opinions vary, but Lustron’s slowness to equip its plant and actually initiate production have been cited most frequently. An inadequate or erratic steel supply may have been partially responsible for the firm’s demise. Marketing experts contend Lustron failed to establish an effective national distribution system to handle its high-volume sales."
"Ultimately, the Lustron’s price may have been the deciding issue. In a prefabricated housing market with average prices ranging from $5,500 to $8,500 (excluding land), the two-bedroom Lustron Home model cost $10,000 to $12,000.
"

A bit pricey for the era from the sound of it. The one in my area has been built onto and is listed at 70K, which is a bit below similar sized houses in this area, but it's hard to tell the condition from pictures. Would love to sneak a peak into it somehow.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Thank you for posting that DubbleT; very interesting that they didn't have the marketing expertise and probably the finances. The housing market was booming at that point which would probably account for the high volume of orders, and they weren't prepared obviously for that. I agree that the price point is well above the going averages for homes that size in that era. My folks paid $5,500 for a 3 BR home with unfinished attic, one bath and no garage in 1949 in a "plat". Homes in the post war period that they couldn't build fast enough were the Levittown homes. PA & NY I believe. I would buy one of those depending on condition etc., they are true retro.

Maybe you could get the MLS number of the Lustron home in your vicinity and we could all view it online through Realtor.com or the Realtor's website. That would be fun !

Old 01-23-2011, 05:31 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times
We have a number of these in Indianapolis. My favorite one has bowling balls planted in their flower beds.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Welcome to Blue Ridge Properties :: Search Details
The kitchen is what initially drew my notice. I wonder if being metal it's more difficult to keep at a comfortable temperature year round.
Or if you scratch or somehow damage a panel is it even possible to fix, or are they nearly indestructible. Like I said, I just find the whole concept intriguing, in a Disney home of the future kind of way .

Bowling balls in the flower bed sounds like a perfect touch, throw in a tireplanter near the front door and I think we've got something, lol.

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-23-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: MLS ID: 302758

Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
The photos are impressive! The color is so bright and sharp, compared to old photos I have from that time period (passed to me by my grandmother).

Old 01-23-2011, 09:35 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,020,950 times
Lawd half mercy. Easter '56, a face only a mother could only love.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,022 times
I'd do anything for the red polka-dot dress.
Attached Thumbnails
Would this house interest you?  ~ Lustron homes-sept1955_adultparty.jpg  

Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Welcome to Blue Ridge Properties :: Search Details
The kitchen is what initially drew my notice. I wonder if being metal it's more difficult to keep at a comfortable temperature year round.
Or if you scratch or somehow damage a panel is it even possible to fix, or are they nearly indestructible. Like I said, I just find the whole concept intriguing, in a Disney home of the future kind of way .

Bowling balls in the flower bed sounds like a perfect touch, throw in a tireplanter near the front door and I think we've got something, lol.
Thanks Dubble for posting that link! Aaaah, it's up in VA, right over the NC line. Rt. 11 Lee Highway north to south (named after Robert E. Lee) has a lot of historic value, but the house ... not so much. There isn't much value in the land either, only 1/3 acre. That is pretttttty small. Concrete floor, and a heat pump. I don't see much value there. Other than curiousity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate