U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 AM

507 posts, read 1,427,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

they are like "Oh, NOW I see that this would be better for my kid than a shared den and this fourth bedroom really does make this place worth more..." or "despite this being an older home I guess bed sizes have not really changed over the years..."
That might be what they SAY... to you.... but back in their own car alone they are talking about the structure, location, potential repairs and price.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:50 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,091,472 times
As an engineer, I can work all the numbers of an empty room just fine. However, from my dealings at retail, I can say that many people can't. Y'know how Ikea has all the room settings ... yeah, I overheard one couple going "this will work nicely" in one of the room settings, then 50ft. later in the sofa section, going "this looks too small" over the exact same model of the sofa! Without a setting, they have no visual perspective of what works or not.

Move all the boxes to one room, and do a quick setting in the other spare bedroom, like a daybed, a dresser, and a small desk or tv + tv stand or something. Sofa ... if it's like you describe, dump it and look for a clean set on craigslist. Folks are always going to be moving in and out, so if you relist it cheap, it will sell fast. Heck, you never know if the buyers are first-time homebuyers, and they may even end up wanting them as part of the sale. In this market, any edge over your competition is a good one.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM

20,816 posts, read 40,127,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Trying to understand some people's logic.

1. Why on earth can't everyone imagine an empty space with their stuff in it.
2. No one wants to see a house with other people's stuff in it.

Why can't the people with the great imagination and vision just picture their stuff in the house even if it is not empty?
Simple. NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU. Some people find it much easier to picture their own furniture in a house that has furniture in it because they have difficulty (because of the way their brain is wired) visualizing the sizes of furniture without an example in front of them - they DO want to see a house with other people's stuff in it; others find it much easier to picture their own furniture in a house that is empty because they have difficulty mentally removing the furniture and replacing it with their own, again, because of the way their brain is wired - they DON'T want to see a house with other people's stuff in it.

Neither is superior. They're just different. You wouldn't get mad at a cat for not being a dog, or vice versa, would you? Makes just as much sense to think something's wrong with people who don't visualize just exactly the same way you do.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM

17,579 posts, read 42,184,947 times
I'm talking about the person that says both things.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM

15,849 posts, read 32,087,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
60 year old 3BR 1BA house, fresh paint inside, new wall-wall carpets, approx. $300K price range, no mortgage

I've been preparing to sell for quite some time, getting rid of some junky furniture, throwing stuff out, packing non-essentials. Ended up with two completely empty bedrooms, now both partially filled with neatly stacked boxes. Bedroom furniture is average plain furniture (throwing away bed when I move, keeping the oak dresser and end stands). Living room upholstered couch and chair aren't good enough to let my dog barf on, but I let him anyway. At bare minimum I'll either have to get slip covers or maybe buy something cheap on Craig's list, or rent couch/chair. Dining room oak table and chairs are nice. I don't want to buy new couch/chair because I'm going on the road for several months, storing my stuff, and anyway I don't know what would look nice in my next house.

Here's the question: I almost wish I could just throw away bed, couch and chair, put the rest of my stuff in storage, and end up with a completely empty but nicely painted and newly carpeted house. Or I can do something about the couch & chair and live here while the house is being shown.

One broker told me it was no problem if I wanted to store my stuff, leave the house empty and get out of town, that it wouldn't affect the time necessary to sell it or the price I ultimately get. Yet I've always heard that prospective buyers like to see what a house looks like with furniture rather than totally empty, thus the furnished new model homes.

Staging in a big way isn't really an option because it would cost too much to fill this house with nice rental furniture. Either way I'm already going to have two empty bedrooms (or partly filled with boxes). And also, I have conflicting advice from my prospective agents: one says please move the packed boxes to a rental storage unit, the other says it's no problem at the level it's at now (neatly stacked and organized, room at least half empty).

It would be so painless showing the house if I could leave it empty and take off camping. Both brokers say selling and closing is no problem at all via phone/fax. The neighborhood is nice enough that I don't have any serious worry about leaving it vacant and unattended. All the houses around me are occupied and it's a nice family neighborhood.

Advice? Okay to show the house empty or should I stay here and wait for the sale? Should I completely empty those unused two bedrooms or are some boxes okay?
Staging homes for sale is a huge business these days. Rather than showing an empty house or one that is full of personal items, I would move everything out and rent some nicer furniture to stage the house with. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, you can hire people who do this exclusively or perhaps your real estate agent is capable of doing it, which will save you some money.

Even though it is an added expense to rent nicer furniture to stage your home, it is an investment that will pay off ultimately.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,240,392 times
Default Maybe you would...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrainOfSalt View Post
That might be what they SAY... to you.... but back in their own car alone they are talking about the structure, location, potential repairs and price.

... Most buyers do not. It is frankly odd to me how much more details I can see regardless of whether the house was empty or staged, but given how even basic furniture retailers have invested tons in showing every item in a "context" or simulated room setting I suspect most folks just are not wired to be able to do the visualization and emotional detachment needed to make good buying decisions.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM

999 posts, read 1,708,696 times
I do not mind an empty house, however, a decluttered/depersonalized staged house is best as it defines spaces and flow of a home, simple clean line furniture works well.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

16,380 posts, read 27,231,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Staging homes for sale is a huge business these days. Rather than showing an empty house or one that is full of personal items,some nicer furnit I would move everything out and rent ure to stage the house with. If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, you can hire people who do this exclusively or perhaps your real estate agent is capable of doing it, which will save you some money.

Even though it is an added expense to rent nicer furniture to stage your home, it is an investment that will pay off ultimately.

20yrsinBranson

That is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!.

To move out your own furniture, then go out and rent furniture...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM

16,380 posts, read 27,231,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Simple. NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE YOU. Some people find it much easier to picture their own furniture in a house that has furniture in it because they have difficulty (because of the way their brain is wired) visualizing the sizes of furniture without an example in front of them - they DO want to see a house with other people's stuff in it; others find it much easier to picture their own furniture in a house that is empty because they have difficulty mentally removing the furniture and replacing it with their own, again, because of the way their brain is wired - they DON'T want to see a house with other people's stuff in it.

Neither is superior. They're just different. You wouldn't get mad at a cat for not being a dog, or vice versa, would you? Makes just as much sense to think something's wrong with people who don't visualize just exactly the same way you do.
Ok, so I see an empty Living Room, Hummmm. OK, I have a sectional couch, a coffee table, a small entertainment center....
Hummmm, Oh no, where will everything go????

Gee I wish someone would have staged the Living Room for me, I cant imagine where the little amount of furniture will go

My building has the same apartments on all 4 floors, and if you seen each persons Living Room, they will all be arranged differently, so just because a "stager" puts the couch there, doesn't mean I need to as well..

I think this staging thing is just a money making scam...and people are falling into it.
houses back in the 60's and 70's sold just perfectly without staging...

Old 02-01-2011, 02:30 PM

15,849 posts, read 32,087,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
That is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!.

To move out your own furniture, then go out and rent furniture...
People do it every day. Unless you have a very nicely decorated house with matching furniture that compliments the style and decor, it could be a disadvantage.

Staging companies provide very nice upscale furniture to realtors all the time. I don't know where you live or what your experience is, but this is not considered unusual in large cities and upscale properties.

I certainly would not keep my furniture in my house if I were trying to sell it and I would not show it vacant either.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate