Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 02:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

At this point my tentative plan is to leave my reasonably good looking furniture in place, master bedroom, dining room, office, and living room except either replace upholstered chair and couch (rent or Craig's list) or slip cover them. I'm going to move all the boxes from the two other bedrooms to the garage and leave those two bedrooms totally empty. Noting that opinions on this topic are all over the place, my solution is somewhere in the middle, okay furniture for the most part, staged couch and chair, empty two bedrooms, a little bit for everybody and the easiest for me to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Reasonable plan!

The key is really CLEAN!

I cannot tell you just how many pretty decent house turn off buyers when they spot some filth in the bathroom or get a whiff of pet odors or cigarettes. And lots of so-so houses that are SPOTLESS get offers much sooner than you would think becuase "we can start fresh".

The key staging of rooms you have listed will really help buyers that are not as skilled as the masters of visualization this forum attracts.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but will give my opinion. (We just bought a furnished condo in Florida, waiting to close, and we had our house here at home staged professionally several years ago.)

Often a bit of money put out for staging pays you handsomely in the offers that you get. So think about that. Sounds like you've come up with a compromise that works. No furniture is better than shabby furniture.

As for the furnished versus empty controversy, for some reason, empty houses look smaller. I don't know why, but it's true. I know, logically, that you should want it empty to imagine it full, but it's easier to imagine it in use when it's furnished. That goes especially for the living room/dining room. Not so much the bedrooms.

And I agree that it must be very clean. If there's some little rusty tap or something that can be replaced for a little money, do it. Nothing worse than rusty bathroom fixtures.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
Lovehound! do not through away beds from the bedrooms! Just leave them very neatly and simply covered under simple colored spreads. Take away headboards.

I agree that most of the antics and personal stuff does not look good, but a simple bed (without a too sofisticated headboard), is better then an empty bedroom, especially a small one. It really makes the house feel warmer and feel like "your house". Put nice simple light curtains or shades in the bedroom, may be a monotone rug, if you have hardwood floors.
Overall I do not like staged housed, but empty bedrooms do not look good.
It is like taking away a gass or fridge from the kitchen. Seriously!
Bed is what makes a bedroom a bedroom. Just like range and stove make a room a kitchen.
Please do not spend too much money on staging!
Just remove some of the stuff that make space look crowded and busy. Leave simple and clean things.

Last edited by Dressy; 03-26-2011 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
People do it every day. Unless you have a very nicely decorated house with matching furniture that compliments the style and decor, it could be a disadvantage.

Staging companies provide very nice upscale furniture to realtors all the time. I don't know where you live or what your experience is, but this is not considered unusual in large cities and upscale properties.

I certainly would not keep my furniture in my house if I were trying to sell it and I would not show it vacant either.

20yrsinBranson
The only mistery remains is how are all those owners of upscale homes wind up having their house stuffed with crappy furniture, so when they sell the house they have to dump it and then stage the house for extra $.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
The only mistery remains is how are all those owners of upscale homes wind up having their house stuffed with crappy furniture, so when they sell the house they have to dump it and then stage the house for extra $.
They bought it because they liked it/it suited their needs? Not everyone entertains constantly. Even people in "upscale" homes. They have kids, pets, a life. Things aren't always flawless.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 PM

I'd rather see an empty house than one with stacked mattresses on the bedroom floors.

I loathe curtains and dated window treatments.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 AM

I was speaking about beds and not matresses , and dated curtains were not mentioned at all. Simple curtains look far more better then bare windows especially if windows are not in the "upscale" condition, as well as empty small (not upscale bedroom looks better if there is some bed in it . otherwise it looks like a closet.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
I was speaking about beds and not matresses , and dated curtains were not mentioned at all. Simple curtains look far more better then bare windows especially if windows are not in the "upscale" condition, as well as empty small (not upscale bedroom looks better if there is some bed in it . otherwise it looks like a closet.
I just don't like most average tastes in window treatments, I reckon. I've been in some great houses that were staged, though. Of the ones that weren't, I preferred whole sets of furniture and pictures on walls, etc to the ones that look like homeless people were squatting there (regardless of how tidy they are).

I admit, I've been looking at more upscale homes.

Most of them have plantation shutters or wood blinds.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Here is a link to a place on the market in my neighborhood. We actually rented it for about 4 months until we found out the owner was losing it to the bank, so I am familiar with the layout. I think the staging that they've done for it is helpful in this case. Typically I don't care too much whether a place is empty or not, but I can certainly see the benefits of a place that's been emptied out of the owners stuff and staged with simple, tasteful pieces. Unless you're like my parents -- minimalists and everything neat as a pin at all times, that's different.

119 Pine Street, Portland, ME - MLS# 1006259 - Victorian - Multi Family Home - NewEnglandMoves.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate