Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times

Advertisements

I would never buy a houise o corner lot or end of culdesac becuase of headlights at night alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:19 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,447 times
Do like I did, buy a house on the lower leg of a T intersection.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
[quote=texdav;18375564]I would never buy a houise o corner lot or end of culdesac becuase of headlights at night alone.[/quote

True. Similarly you don't want to buy a house where directly across the street from you is another street with on-coming traffic aiming right at your house! In Feng Shui, this is probably worse than a poison arrow (where a corner of a neighbor's house forms and arrow that points right at your house0. You also don't want to be the only one story house surrouned by much taller buildings.

Another big negative in Feng Shui are sloping back yards. It is much better Feng shui to have a hill in your back yard which represents support.

Last edited by emilybh; 03-22-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Buying my Florida home on a cul-de-sac was one of the reasons I picked it.
I have plenty of room on the other side of my garage to build on, plenty of room in the back right on the year round fish stocked pond, and a nice golf course view across of the pond.

I have no neighbors to the one side, and the house on the other side faces away and is not close to the house. My yard is the biggest in the neighborhood.

My northern home is on acres, so I like the bigger yard the cul-de-sac provides me.

I have not found headlights to be a problem at all. I don't know how I my Florida house rates "Feng-Shui" wise....but compared to my beautiful northern home with weeks of cloudy days, snowstorms, etc, the Florida weather and sunshine makes us quite happy.

Frank

Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would never buy a houise o corner lot or end of culdesac becuase of headlights at night alone.
Like everything, it all depends.
Better builders take headlights into consideration as part of the original layout of streets and homes.

Lots of corner lots and cul-de-sacs in my 45 year old neighborhood and no one has headlight issues, despite that nowdays most drive SUVs in my neck of the woods.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,725,942 times
Cul-de-sacs are BAD because they become defacto daycare centers with kids and toys scattered all over the street. Who wants to live near a bunch of screaming kids and toys "playing" around your manicured yard and expensive cars?

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,730 times
When I was house hunting, the corner lots sat on the market the longest, to the point that I was starting to think that urban planners should just zone them as parkland (no offense). Lots in cul-de-sacs were very difficult to come by, on the other hand.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Cul-de-sacs are BAD because they become defacto daycare centers with kids and toys scattered all over the street. Who wants to live near a bunch of screaming kids and toys "playing" around your manicured yard and expensive cars?
Unless of course there aren't kids living in those houses. Or maybe you are suggesting they are getting shipped in just to play in the cul de sac?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless of course there aren't kids living in those houses. Or maybe you are suggesting they are getting shipped in just to play in the cul de sac?
Or unless the parents actually are good parents who watch their kids and clean up after them.

I have lived in a culdesac for years, and have seen quite a few kids come and go in neighboring houses. Never had a toy in my yard or in the road (although I have had garbage cans in the road from our ever so nice garbage men, sometimes 5 or 6 of them just gathered in the middle of the culdesac.) I have had a neighbor's dog leave me "presents" a few times in my front lawn, but that has nothing to do with being in a culdesac.

This comment reminds me though, some years ago, when I still lived at home with mom and dad, we lived in an upscale subdivision, and people gave out whole candy bars at Halloween. Word got out about it, and by about the 3rd year, people WERE shipping in kids just to trick or treat in our subdivision. By the 4th or 5th year, the HOA actually hired a couple of off duty policemen to card cars as they came into the subdivision, to make sure they lived there, because the homeowners were each spending hundreds on candy and still running out before dark, and then getting vandalized because they turned off the lights.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM

34 posts, read 158,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Right...feels that way sometimes...except when I have to pick up trash that blew into our yard. I'll make sure to wear my protective suit, hehe lol.
Just pave your yard entirely in concrete and the trash should just carry right on through to your neighbours yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate