U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:58 AM

229 posts, read 696,289 times
Default Finding the value of a specific home - help!

Can someone advise on the best way to find the value of a specific home? I have the address but am not local so at the moment, cannot arrange for an appraisal. I have found websites which show recent sales in the area of this home but I am still looking for detailed stats, sq footage, lot size and dollar value. I know condition can affect this so nothing will 100% accurate. This is for a home in North Carolina. The Buncombe County website only showed what it sold for back in 2000. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,457,208 times
I would highly encourage that you contract a Buyer's Broker. Most Buyer's Broker do not cost the buyer anything. One of the jobs of a Buyer's Broker is to perform CMA's on any house that the buyer is very interested in. Here is a brief video I did that shows what a broker does to determine the value of a home: Click Here (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 PM

92 posts, read 267,311 times
I would look on Yahoo Real Estate for that area. They will give you an average price per square foot for houses in that area.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:22 PM

8,192 posts, read 19,305,878 times
Try this Buncombe County Tax Information (broken link)

Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM

431 posts, read 1,192,516 times
I've been looking at two things to prepare for our house hunt. One is to check HouseFront | Accurate, Immediate, Mobile Access to House Values I like this because it tells you what houses have sold for nearby and also gives you a range besides just one number. It also tells what people paid for the house when they bought it which is helpful info.

Then I've also been checking out the property tax rolls for the houses for the area where we are going to move. This might not work for all places, because some small towns might not have this online, but most larger areas should.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM

33 posts, read 57,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Can someone advise on the best way to find the value of a specific home? I have the address but am not local so at the moment, cannot arrange for an appraisal. I have found websites which show recent sales in the area of this home but I am still looking for detailed stats, sq footage, lot size and dollar value. I know condition can affect this so nothing will 100% accurate. This is for a home in North Carolina. The Buncombe County website only showed what it sold for back in 2000. Thank you.
The best indicator for value is recent comparable sales. So the public record you're looking at is a very good place to look, since the sales prices will be accurate, as will the dates. If they post pictures, and if you know the neighborhoods, all the better. Some counties get that information online very quickly, and I've seen it take as long as a year. The more recent, and the more comparable, the more accurate.

In some places the local realtors rely heavily on per square foot pricing, and you hear them saying such and such a place went for $33 per sq foot when one just like it went for $125 per but it always ends up the same way: the value is dictated by the market only. Square footage can lead you badly astray, since a huge house in a bad neighborhood can easily sell for less than a tiny house in a good one.

You will get for your house what a similar house in a similar neighborhood sold for recently with your market's appreciation, month by month, computed into the final price. What you can't do on a calculator is account for things like "desirability" or "charm," etc. For the kind of market evaluation that manages to factor in all things, even the unquantifiable ones, there is just no substitute either for a realtor with that talent or a local developer, although your developer bias tends towards under-pricing. They're good to consult when you want to buy, and bad when you want to sell.

If you hang your hat on what you heard around a grill at a backyard barbecue that such and such a place sold for and why can't I get at least that or more -- you're sunk. Those people are always wrong -- always. I've never seen a group of price prognosticators that are more universally wrong than that gang.

The market sets the selling price, and it's sort of a cat and mouse game, because the market doesn't set the price until the property sells. No one can promise you exactly what your house will sell for, but some people are a lot better at guessing than others. A good realtor is an enormous asset but all a good realtor is is a good guesser -- no more, no less.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 18,617 times
try fastweb.com

Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,798,314 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyahomeinsacramento View Post
try fastweb.com
keyed in fastweb.com...got scholarship information page. Do you have additional information?

Old 07-26-2007, 05:41 AM

14 posts, read 37,015 times
Bill, Just watched your video. I thought it was really helpful. I'm in KY but the information was great for anyone starting out.
Thanks
Brgrds24

Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM

22 posts, read 102,767 times
Default Zillow.com

What about zillow.com. Does that give a pretty accurate estimate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate