Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'm not finding that "perfect" house. The house that meets all of my "wants". There always seems to be one major thing off with each house. So for example on a list of 10 things, each house will have 9 good with 1 bad, but all varying on what the bad is. So how do I choose a house? I just can't figure out how to decide on which house to look at. And I need to narrow it down to 2. And then pick from there, but I am having difficulties getting it narrowed down. Any advice on how to pick a house? I don't want to pick the wrong one like I did last time. P.S. My neighbors are burning leaves again for the 4th week in a row, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Default Real Estate humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Ok. I'm not finding that "perfect" house. The house that meets all of my "wants". There always seems to be one major thing off with each house. So for example on a list of 10 things, each house will have 9 good with 1 bad, but all varying on what the bad is. So how do I choose a house? I just can't figure out how to decide on which house to look at. And I need to narrow it down to 2. And then pick from there, but I am having difficulties getting it narrowed down. Any advice on how to pick a house? I don't want to pick the wrong one like I did last time. P.S. My neighbors are burning leaves again for the 4th week in a row, every day.

Hang in there, there is a place out there for you!

America's ugliest homes - More - CNNMoney.com

(a little real estate humor) couldn't resist.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 PM

61 posts, read 387,866 times
If there is a house that has only one bad thing that is easily changeable, that would be the best choice. Heck, the house we bought only had two good things going for it - price and location. Everything else pretty much sucked, but was changeable and change it we did. It still isn't the "perfect" house (if there is such a thing), but it's ours.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Make sure it is in a desirable location and good school district for resale. It should not be more expensive than the other homes on the street; preferably less expensive. It should be tucked away in the neighborhood, no high profile corners or commercial businesses across from or behind it. There should be some sense of privacy if it is a single family house. It should offer the same amenities as the other houses on the street .... if most have garages, it should have a garage. The price should be competitive. You should like the floorplan. There should be a bathroom on the main floor and upper floor if 2-story. A master bedroom with its own attached bathroom with double sinks and a bathtub is great for resale. Here is Texas, most buyers want homes with master bedrooms on the main floor, but maybe not true in your market.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:54 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Hang in there, there is a place out there for you!

America's ugliest homes - More - CNNMoney.com

(a little real estate humor) couldn't resist.

Thanks for the link. I have actually seen homes that were a lot worse than those. That was baby stuff, lol. Heck, my last house could have made that list before I remodeled it

To the OP...wow you only found 1 thing wrong with each of those homes. That is great.

Order of importance for me:
1. Location
2. Price
3. No main roads
4. Neighbors and houses that surround mine.
5. Floor plan

Cosmetic things don't bother me at all as long as the price is right. The location is the most important.

Good luck.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Some questions for you:
Are you in a hurry, or can you wait for the perfect one? Are you working with a Realtor, or are you trying this on your own?

Have you looked at these houses? Don't narrow it down to two before you've even been in the house. You'll sometimes find them very different than they appear online. You may need to look at 20 houses, or 50.

Will you be selling this house in a few years? In the distant future? Never?

Are you looking near where you're living, or is this a long-distance search? The best way to find out what a neighborhood is like is to actually be there.

If you need to move but can't pick a house, rent. Then take your time investigating different areas.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:53 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Make sure it is in a desirable location and good school district for resale. It should not be more expensive than the other homes on the street; preferably less expensive. It should be tucked away in the neighborhood, no high profile corners or commercial businesses across from or behind it. There should be some sense of privacy if it is a single family house. It should offer the same amenities as the other houses on the street .... if most have garages, it should have a garage. The price should be competitive. You should like the floorplan. There should be a bathroom on the main floor and upper floor if 2-story. A master bedroom with its own attached bathroom with double sinks and a bathtub is great for resale. Here is Texas, most buyers want homes with master bedrooms on the main floor, but maybe not true in your market.
That's kinda true in our area too. And I understand how it can be attractive. What I do not understand is making elderly in-laws who come for an extended visit climb the stairs... if the guest rooms are on the second floor lol. So far I have not figured out how to combine this too conflicting things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate