Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:11 AM

189 posts, read 797,195 times

Advertisements

What about offering Maid Service for a year? Do you think that would entice anyone? I am desperate at this point and really thought that our house would have sold by now. We have been on the market almost 3 months, lowered our price, increased our commission to the selling broker, had open houses and recently offered to assist with closing costs. My husband refuses to drop the price anymore and our realtor says to just be patient. I can't, I want our kids to start school in their new town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
3 months is not very long. There are houses here that have been out there for over a year.

Personally, I will never have a cleaning service in my home again. I have had it done twice, with two different companies and have had items stolen both times.

If you want your house to move, lower the price. Or, become one of the many who are cutting of their noses to spite their faces.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
What about offering Maid Service for a year? Do you think that would entice anyone? I am desperate at this point and really thought that our house would have sold by now. We have been on the market almost 3 months, lowered our price, increased our commission to the selling broker, had open houses and recently offered to assist with closing costs. My husband refuses to drop the price anymore and our realtor says to just be patient. I can't, I want our kids to start school in their new town.
I'd LOVE this as long as I could select the company myself (you'd have to put $ value to the offer) because as the other poster pointed out you can't always trust people so I'd want to do all the research myself to make sure i'm getting a reputable person. Also IMO this only works in certain price points, meaning if you're high end most people will already have and/or use a maid service.

A few other ideas (and these ideas are what I've thought of for when it's time to list my own home so it's based on my home's ummm needs and my location). Fill oil tanks (have 2 or pay for entire season oil only used for heat), pay for private trash pickup for one year, pay for seasonal pass at local pond, purchase snow blower, lawn mower, gas grill, nice patio furniture (especially if home is priced for first time home buyers), a very nice gift card to local furniture store (like $2500 or more - again great for first time home buyers).

You might want to ask your realtor to prepare a new market analysis for you to see if the market has changed. if it has you'll need to make sure your home reflects the changes. Lastly in MA (where I am) 3 months is nothing. good luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM

189 posts, read 797,195 times
Okay, then what about lawn service?

Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
I think offering maid service for a year (or any service that makes the new home owners life easier) is an awesome idea. Buyers definitely appreciate the thoughtful gesture.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:21 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Since most people around here like the green stuff, how about a home warranty? If you are including appliances, how about offering a choice of a new 'range', refrigerator, microwave, etc.? Do you have a dollar amount that you are willing to spend on this maid service?

Think yourself, what would you appreciate as a 'reward' for buying a house?
Look around and visualize what would entice that buyer. Don't think as a seller for a few minutes or hours , think as a buyer and look around your property. Too many of us are so used to our homes and sometimes just don't see it objectively. Try it.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:23 AM

107 posts, read 283,515 times
I can see a home warranty, but the rest of this stuff is starting to get ridiculus. My house has been on the market for almost 2 years, we listed right at the end of the buying craze and have now reduced our price by $100,000 since we first listed. We just offered a buyers agent bonus and am not so sure that will accomplish anything as I have read somewhere agents will be around if they have a buyer. The market just flat out sucks and I dont think offering a maid service is going to pull buyers out of their shell. What is actually the problem? Isnt the markets doing well?(dont know I dont trade) I live on the coast of NC so we get alot of people relocating from the north, are they just putting their life on hold, waiting to make a bigger profit, where have they been the last 2 years. I'm ready to make the move cmon ppl lets start buying!!!!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
I can see a home warranty, but the rest of this stuff is starting to get ridiculus. My house has been on the market for almost 2 years, we listed right at the end of the buying craze and have now reduced our price by $100,000 since we first listed. We just offered a buyers agent bonus and am not so sure that will accomplish anything as I have read somewhere agents will be around if they have a buyer. The market just flat out sucks and I dont think offering a maid service is going to pull buyers out of their shell. What is actually the problem? Isnt the markets doing well?(dont know I dont trade) I live on the coast of NC so we get alot of people relocating from the north, are they just putting their life on hold, waiting to make a bigger profit, where have they been the last 2 years. I'm ready to make the move cmon ppl lets start buying!!!!
Since you live on the coast of NC I can help answer your question about why people are not buying because my dh and I desperately want to move to the coast BUT he cannot find a job! Once he has a job offer our home will go on the market and we will be on our way down! Where is your home located?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM

107 posts, read 283,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Since you live on the coast of NC I can help answer your question about why people are not buying because my dh and I desperately want to move to the coast BUT he cannot find a job! Once he has a job offer our home will go on the market and we will be on our way down! Where is your home located?
I live in Southport just south of Wilmington, and even though the prices of houses have risen the past few years, the more I see and read we are still a bargain compaired to the northeast. Was looking at a listing in another post and saw the taxes per year were over $10,000. WoW, For a $500,000 house my taxes are around $2000/year, what a deal. You might want to get a head start on selling your house, As you read My house is going on 2 yrs though we are in no hurry to sell, we would like to get on with our lives.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinNC View Post
I live in Southport just south of Wilmington, and even though the prices of houses have risen the past few years, the more I see and read we are still a bargain compaired to the northeast. Was looking at a listing in another post and saw the taxes per year were over $10,000. WoW, For a $500,000 house my taxes are around $2000/year, what a deal. You might want to get a head start on selling your house, As you read My house is going on 2 yrs though we are in no hurry to sell, we would like to get on with our lives.

$2,000 a year in taxes on a $500K home is a deal. In parts of Indianapolis/Lawrence RE taxes have climbed to $10,000 and more for homes in that price range.

obviously you don't have high RE taxes to discourage Buyers and that's a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate