Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times

Advertisements

There is a limit to the "more is better" theory though. You want someone who does between 20 and 60 inspections per month. Less, and they aren't full time. More, and they aren't thorough enough. If they can fit in 3 every day, they either aren't in the house long enough, or they aren't writing a complete report.

Sure, some days, if they have 3 small houses, they can fit in 3, but 2 a day on average is sort of a hard cap to do a good job, unless they specialize in small houses, or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
There is a limit to the "more is better" theory though. You want someone who does between 20 and 60 inspections per month. Less, and they aren't full time. More, and they aren't thorough enough. If they can fit in 3 every day, they either aren't in the house long enough, or they aren't writing a complete report.

Sure, some days, if they have 3 small houses, they can fit in 3, but 2 a day on average is sort of a hard cap to do a good job, unless they specialize in small houses, or something.

I've never heard of anyone doing three inspections in a day. You have inspectors that do that out there?

Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
There is a limit to the "more is better" theory though. You want someone who does between 20 and 60 inspections per month.

And how do you positively verify this? Anyone can tell you anything they want!

Less, and they aren't full time.

So in this economy are you saying that, for example, a contractor who is not working every day is not a full time contractor?? I would expect just like any other self employed person an inspector is also subject to the current economic times?

More, and they aren't thorough enough. If they can fit in 3 every day, they either aren't in the house long enough, or they aren't writing a complete report.

I have had the opportunity to see some of the reports (from many friends buying) of these inspectors doing 2 a day and they certainly don't look very good.

Sure, some days, if they have 3 small houses, they can fit in 3,

But a minute ago you state that an inspector doing 3 a day is not doing a very thorough job??

but 2 a day on average is sort of a hard cap to do a good job, unless they specialize in small houses, or something.
Interesting comments with responses and questions in blue italics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You do want a local home inspector because they will have been in local homes. The guy I recommend knows which common defects each builder tends to have because he has done so many. He knows which builders are solid and which ones aren't. A non-local inspector won't have that kind of knowledge.

The problem with this approach is that few, if any, builders have their own building crews and sub everything out. The quality of the build then rests in the hands of a builder's foreman who may or may not know what they are doing! I would think that any inspector who walks into a home with a preconceived notion of a particular builder is more of a hazard than an inspector. Sounds like that inspector is more apt to pass of defects than an inspector who treats every home as a new inspection experience.

I would also ask them how many inspections they do per month. If they are only doing 10 (unless they are in the retiring process), then they probably lack good home knowledge.

So if a former builder decides to go into the inspection business and chooses to do it part time (10 or less a month) then they have no knowledge of homes and building? As for someone in the retiring process why would I want to have someone like that inspecting my home? I want someone that will be around for awhile in the event I have to contact them, go after them, etc.

The guy I recommend does 40-60 a month and has been an inspector for 7 years. He was in construction before that, which I personally like because he is aware of all of the shortcuts taken by contractors to get houses built.

If your inspector is doing 60 a month then they are doing 2 inspections a day, two reports a day, every day of the month with no days off! Sounds like a case of very real burnout in the making or already occurring. Or is the inspector performing 3 a day Monday through Friday and taking a rest on the weekends? If so then I would expect those inspections are very superficial and not worth much!

Here is what I would ask a home inspector if I was going to hire one and didn't know anything.

1) How many different agents refer clients to you? The more agents that refer, generally the more respected they are locally.

There are many good agents out there but there are far more bad ones. I would stay away from the inspector being heavily referred by many agents as that inspector is most likely making agents happy than doing the job for the home buyer.

2) How many homes do you inspect a month?

How do you recommend that the home buyer verify that the number of inspections the inspector claims to be doing is actually true?

3) How many homes have you inspected in your career?

Same question as your number 2 above?

4) How long have you been an inspector?

How many years is a person suppose to be an inspector before they are considered good?

5) Have you ever had any claims against your insurance as an inspector?

Same question as your number 2 above?

6) Have you ever had any claims against your licensing with the state?

Those questions will get you in the ballpark.
What you are telling people is to accept the word of a person who might or might not tell them the truth. Yet you're not offering any way for the home buyer to verify this information. Just like any other profession there are good and really bad inspectors out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXFlyer View Post
Angieslist
They started out with the right premise but are now allowing contractors and other businesses to pay for advertising as long as the contractor has no negative reviews on them. Problem is the contractor does not have to have any reviews on them as long as they pay the advertising fee. Yes they will put a little disclaimer on the ad but just allowing someone to advertise like that dilutes the value of the original purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Am I the only one one who sees the irony here.
I would lean in Greenback's direction because you'll probably find someone who can be 100% impartial to the whole process. And doing the usual homework- reference list, calls to confirm, current certification(s), etc.

But, I have witnessed cases of favoritism with agents and inspectors. And I'm certainly not saying there was anything wrong- just a bit unethical in my book. Agents use or create a "list(s)" of inspectors that can "work favorably" to the agent's agenda- move the sell along to get it to close. And there are others that are "used" or are on a "list" that kill deals because they want to steer their clients away from a particular property.
They're still "good" agents, nothing unlawful, just a bit unethical.
Both of you were pretty quick to defend yourselves and the brethren- but not the profession, or so it read.

OP- the ASHI website would be a great place to start.
That is the problem with using the agents recommended inspector some are good but many are just looking for the next referral from the agent. I interviewed 20 inspectors and the results were sad to say the least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Secondly, lets talk about the inspector. If they miss things or don't record things they could be liable for it. Most inspectors do a good report so that nothing comes back on them.
Most of them write fluff reports with twice as many pages of disclaimers than items they missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
There are some real clowns out there, some great inspectors, and some pretty good guys, and any of them can create a network of great references. They all have mommas and aunts who love them.
That's why references from anyone, including agents, are to be considered suspect at all times. The only way for a home buyer to be sure is do their own leg work!

Quote:
2. I have fired (i.e., never called them again) a couple of inspectors for copping attitude when I asked procedural questions or pointed out minor items they missed, or for being sloppy with my valued clients' inspection reports, rendering their findings unusable.

Unusable in what way? Perhaps to getting the deal closed?

I'd fire an inspector who wrote up a loose toilet seat nut in a 16 year old house instead of inspecting. Stupid senseless write ups derail more deals than material findings do...

I would want an inspector that wrote up everything they find! It is not the inspectors job to decide what is or is not important to me when I am buying a home. It is also not the job of my agent to try and convince me that "Well that 25 year old water heater is still working so it is not an item that you should ask a concession for.". Yes there is hot water at the faucet, for now! But that rusting 25 year old gas water heater is about to go. Why shouldn't I care that it has lived its useful life? As for the loose toilet seat nut how do I know that the owner has not been rocking away on that loose toilet and slowly destroying the wax seal under it? I won't until the first time I use it and it becomes a newly converted bidet!
Comments in blue italics.

Quote:
ALWAYS hire the guy with the $100 off coupon!
I know you're being facetious but that always kills me when any professional offers those "Dollars Off" coupons. Typically all they do is increase their price just so they can give you those "Dollars Off". It is amazing how many people fall for it because so many just look at "Wow look at what I'm saving".

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
BTW there is NO assurance at all that membership in any association will produce a great inspector; some of the worst inspectors have been members for a very, very long time.
It does not matter what the profession is the associations for that profession are there for the members and nobody else. Here you have it from a home inspector himself stating that the home inspector association affiliations are not a valid selection criteria for a home inspector. Yes they have their search functions that can help find inspectors but you still have to do your own leg work to make sure you're getting a good home inspector.

Quote:
Yep. That's what you want. Someone in houses every single day and twice a day during the busy season. They have such a wealth of knowledge.
Wow, I think I'll go get my home inspection license! After all I'm in a house every single day and even twice a day. That must give me such a wealth of knowledge about homes!

I think I would rather have someone that takes at least a little time off so when they reach my home for the inspection they are not burned out from running to their two and three inspections a day and writing 2 and 3 reports a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
If I pick someone from these above websites after interviewing them, how do I know that he is good and not really affiliated with my agent? So far, we like our agent. Though we read somewhere before too that we shouldn't use the one recommended by the agent. Our agent has been in the business more than 20 yrs and known many people locally. He knew all listing agents of houses we picked from the MLSlisting. So, I would think he knew majority of the local home inspectors. WWYD?
It really does not matter where you obtain the name from for a home inspector, or any other trade for that matter. What is important is that you check them out as best possible.

As for all of the selection criteria you have seen here weed out the ones from those with a stake in the game. Just forget those selection criteria and scrub your thought process. Make a list of what is important to you and how YOU determine when people seem to be dealing honest with you. No matter what the trade you call in to perform a service it is a crap shoot on the first use of that person.

It all boils down to trust and you just can't build that on a phone call or two. Create your selection criteria, stick with it, and make sure you understand how the home inspection process works and what the inspector is responsible for. Then when you call to speak with inspectors you will have a better picture of which ones are blowing smoke at you and which ones are being more honest with you.

Last edited by Marka; 03-26-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
Comments in blue italics.

Usable reports are not desirable just for closing a deal. It is about taking care of the client. Home inspection reports are used as negotiation tools to help buyers arrive at good outcomes.
I want the home inspector's report to be in coherent and articulate verbage.
When the home inspector is unable to write a clear report due to utter lack of command of language, it compromises the usability of the report in negotiations.

I would much rather the home inspector rock the toilet bowl on the floor to check for looseness in installation than to leave my clients guessing if a loose toilet seat is an indicator of a leaking wax gasket.
I would also expect the home inspector to look beyond the toilet seat and to inspect the water heater rather than to infer that it is beyond its service life because the toilet seat is loose.
Any inspector who can deduce a failed wax gasket and old water heater because the toilet seat is loose would have a difficult time getting a recommendation from me.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Wow, I think I'll go get my home inspection license! After all I'm in a house every single day and even twice a day. That must give me such a wealth of knowledge about homes!

I think I would rather have someone that takes at least a little time off so when they reach my home for the inspection they are not burned out from running to their two and three inspections a day and writing 2 and 3 reports a day!

Well you have disliked every suggestion people offered to the OP, yet you offer nothing in exchange other than "do your own legwork." Offer a real legitimate suggestion to the OP. That is what they are asking.

And yes..it should be 40 inspections a month, not 60. That would put you in 3 a day and that isn't doable.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:56 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
I don't think the number of inspections is a real criteria. I can get a run of heavily featured homes, or bigger homes, or distant homes and there goes two a day. Just considering the condition of these homes that have been sitting for a few years, I hesitate scheduling more than one even if they are only 1500 square feet. The client's impressions of the homeand pix from the net can get definitely influence how I schedule. It takes as long as it takes. Most average sized home inspections take at least 3 hours and chat time can add an hour easily( more if the client is present the whole time).
Longer summer hours are helpful for getting two inspections done in a day.
I would be excited to hire an inspector that stated that he/she ONLY did one a day (along with all the criteria stated above).

Old 03-13-2011, 02:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
It takes as long as it takes. Most average sized home inspections take at least 3 hours and chat time can add an hour easily( more if the client is present the whole time).
That's exactly what it took for my house (buyer's inspector, I'm the seller). It seemed to me that their inspector was very thorough and I'd be pleased to get such an inspector when I buy my next home.

I'm just wondering, is it unusual for the seller to be allowed to sit in on the inspector giving the buyers (and their agent) a verbal report? They did it in my dining room and didn't ask me to leave so I just hung around the periphery. I realized it wasn't my inspection so I didn't say much although at one or two points I offered a few elaborations which nobody seemed to mind.

How often is seller allowed to sit in on the verbal report?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
My feeling is this: It's; the seller's home,but,it's the buyer's time to do the inspection. There are so many circumstances and personalities that can combine in so many ways that each situation can be different.
I must keep my focus on providing the best service I can to my client. Part of that REQUIRES that I interact with anyone present cordially, respectfully and professionally.
In general I give the seller's guidance as to how I must keep the conversation related to the discovery part of the inspection process (which is what happens at the property). It's not a time for negotiation or resolution. I try to keep the amopunt of hearsay and Q & A between parties to virtually non existent. I discuss my findings with my client and describe my function and its boundaries with all parties present as needed. I do not feel obligated to respond to each and every question or comment from anyone but my client as that is not part of my duty; in fact I go as far as to say that my client and I can interact entirely confidentially if and as needed.
I tell sellers that if there is a concern or question about any item in the report; the buyer will go through the proper channels after the report has been distributed; it won't be the day of the inspection or at least while I'm( the inspector) is there.
I do not feel it is a matter of being allowed or not. I think what you did was probably fine; pretty common if everyone keeps the prime directive for the inspection appointment in mind. Not bad for a curmudgeon..way out of character for a misanthrope: I'm proud of you! Is LA wearing off?????
I like having the sellers there in most cases; especially if they are friendly and don't mind sharing things that could save me some time or make the report more clear after/if I can verify what they share....another subject I suppose.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Quote:
My feeling is this: It's; the seller's home,but,it's the buyer's time to do the inspection. There are so many circumstances and personalities that can combine in so many ways that each situation can be different.
I must keep my focus on providing the best service I can to my client. Part of that REQUIRES that I interact with anyone present cordially, respectfully and professionally.
In general I give the seller's guidance as to how I must keep the conversation related to the discovery part of the inspection process (which is what happens at the property). It's not a time for negotiation or resolution. I try to keep the amopunt of hearsay and Q & A between parties to virtually non existent. I discuss my findings with my client and describe my function and its boundaries with all parties present as needed. I do not feel obligated to respond to each and every question or comment from anyone but my client as that is not part of my duty; in fact I go as far as to say that my client and I can interact entirely confidentially if and as needed.
I tell sellers that if there is a concern or question about any item in the report; the buyer will go through the proper channels after the report has been distributed; it won't be the day of the inspection or at least while I'm( the inspector) is there.
I do not feel it is a matter of being allowed or not. I think what you did was probably fine; pretty common if everyone keeps the prime directive for the inspection appointment in mind. Not bad for a curmudgeon..way out of character for a misanthrope: I'm proud of you! Is LA wearing off?????
I like having the sellers there in most cases; especially if they are friendly and don't mind sharing things that could save me some time or make the report more clear after/if I can verify what they share....another subject I suppose.
Excellent. My sediments exactly.

Frank

Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 AM

574 posts, read 1,639,701 times
Quote:
Well you have disliked every suggestion people offered to the OP, yet you offer nothing in exchange other than "do your own legwork." Offer a real legitimate suggestion to the OP. That is what they are asking.

And yes..it should be 40 inspections a month, not 60. That would put you in 3 a day and that isn't doable.
I'll recap my post and even add some highlighting to it.

Quote:
As for all of the selection criteria you have seen here weed out the ones from those with a stake in the game. Just forget those selection criteria and scrub your thought process. Make a list of what is important to you and how YOU determine when people seem to be dealing honest with you. No matter what the trade you call in to perform a service it is a crap shoot on the first use of that person.

It all boils down to trust and you just can't build that on a phone call or two. Create your selection criteria, stick with it, and make sure you understand how the home inspection process works and what the inspector is responsible for. Then when you call to speak with inspectors you will have a better picture of which ones are blowing smoke at you and which ones are being more honest with you.
The advice to the OP, and anyone else out there, is to make their own criteria of what is important to them. Does not matter whether they are hiring a home inspector or any other service professional. When people start using the selection criteria given them, and do not even understand what the service professionals responsibilities are, then the selection criteria means little and will most likely be useless to them. Any service professional can make all kinds of experience, education, etc., etc., claims and the person hiring them has little way to check them out.

The most important thing a person can do is develop at least a small amount of trust with their service provider and that is very hard to do on just a couple of phone interviews. The next step to establishing that small amount of trust is to learn the responsibilities of your service provider, then use their own set of selection criteria that they understand, to determine if the service provider is blowing smoke at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate