U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2007, 03:28 AM

125 posts, read 519,513 times

Advertisements

Yeah, we have SOLD!!! appaisal has been completed; It's been 2 weeks since the contract was signed. The buyers are going FHA, how long before I'll see an inspector,and are the hard or leinant? What do they check for? Do they enter the home? Any help is appreciated; we're headed down to Florida (currently in Ohio) next week, we were hoping to get it closed by then!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 AM

864 posts, read 2,996,116 times
If your appraisal is done, that should be all you're waiting for regarding FHA requirements. If there were any items found by the appraiser that didn't meet standards, they would have been noted on the appraisal and you would have been asked to make corrections. Unless this is a manufactured home...then you might be waiting for a structural engineer to come out and make sure it was installed properly...

Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 AM

353 posts, read 1,129,398 times
FHA requirements have changed recently, they are not as "picky" as they used to be. However, safety issues are still a top priority. If you home was built prior to 1978, make sure that you do not have peeling paint.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:25 AM

5,421 posts, read 11,988,488 times
We purchased a home through FHA and we had it inspected. It breezed through the inspection even though the house had several issues - not perfect that was for sure. (gutter fell off back of house, 1 non operational bathroom sink) I think all the owner had to do have GFI outlets installed in the bathrooms (so you may want to do that if you don't have them)
The poster above is right, it seemed like they were most concerned with safety things and major structural things like roofs.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM

25,602 posts, read 32,377,539 times
I'd heard horror stories as well, but when I sold my house through FHA and all I had to do was install GFCI outlets outside, in the kitchen, and in the laundry.

Later, when I found the inspector's report from 13 years earlier, he'd recommended that I do just that.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,995,274 times
We are unfortunately the 'owners' of one of the horror stories .

Our FHA buy was done in the 90's, so I'm glad to hear they have lightened up some.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 AM

125 posts, read 519,513 times
Default Thanks Wendy K

It was just as you said, the appraisal came in today and that was all that was needed to meet the FHA standards, the appraiser did not see anything that was a concern; the loan for our buyers will be written by Tuesday! Woo Hoo Florida here we come!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 22,422 times
What are the defects FHA are looking for ? I paid for my inspection to insure that the house I brought would at least last 2-3years before I'd have to make major repairs. I moved in 12/6/2010
the melting snow came throught the dinning room windows in 2/2011. the roof is leaking in the kitchen and front room.there are eletric outlets but some don't work properly. I understand that the roofing tile were not glued in place just tapped with whatever to hold until the sale was over.the house is in need of tuck pointing around the top where the gutters are. Ok I brought the house as is but not with a linking roof and tuck pointing.Who do I contact regarding this matter

Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM

2 posts, read 22,422 times
What does FHA inspect it may be a little late to ask but I thought they made sure the roof didn't leak and the gutters were good enough to stand rain and around the top of the house was tuck pointed.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:18 PM

6,175 posts, read 11,602,162 times
FHA is mostly looking for safety issue and that all systems in the home are operational. A broken window must be fixed, any electrical outlet that doesn't have a cover must have one, all the burners on the stove must function, the oven must work, the heating/air conditioning system must operate, no exposed wires anywhere (solved by putting wire nuts on any exposed wire), no missing roof shingles, and no leaking plumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate