U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 06:57 AM

539 posts, read 1,850,335 times

Advertisements

We finally have a contract on our home and the inspections have come back. We have radon in the water. The reading was something like 6,000. I am concerned that my family had been living in that house for almost 6 years. Does anyone have any input on how dangerous this may have been?

And yes it will be taken care of before the new owners move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 PM

649 posts, read 2,649,322 times
You know, I am not 100% sure, however you should just email or call the inspector and ask him. He would have to know. bashep

Old 07-27-2007, 05:17 AM

353 posts, read 1,513,505 times
Read this: Radon in Water

And this: Radon in Drinking Water (http://www.nsc.org/ehc/radon/water.htm - broken link)

Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 PM

30 posts, read 157,445 times
Maine has just recently dropped its action level on radon in water to 4000pCi/L.
There is some worry about gastrointestinal cancer from it. I wouldn't panic but you could have it reduced with an aeration system.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM

983 posts, read 4,224,693 times
I have a question about this topic - in our area, it's typical to do an air radon test but not a water test. Would radon be in the water only on private wells or would it come through a public water system? I hadn't heard about radon in the water until I saw this post and now wonder if that's something that should also be tested if we have areas where there is radon in the air.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 2,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
We finally have a contract on our home and the inspections have come back. We have radon in the water. The reading was something like 6,000. I am concerned that my family had been living in that house for almost 6 years. Does anyone have any input on how dangerous this may have been?

And yes it will be taken care of before the new owners move in.
Typically, water that has gone through a treatment plant has released the radon contained in it. The agitation process allows the gas to be released. Check with your county health department or the state engineer office. Also, 6000 (or even 4000 below) is extremely high and should be investigated. normal US household levels are around 4 +/- 2 pCi/L. Anything above 8 or 10 (current studies) should be addressed. Caulking cracks in the basement and installing a ceiling fan usually brings levels down to acceptable levels. If still high, consider a more aggressive system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate