Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM

364 posts, read 1,080,612 times

Advertisements

If a house just went on the market that I'm interested in, but my realtor cannot show me the house for 4 days, can I call the sellers realtor to schedule a viewing? I don't want to miss out on the house....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM

265 posts, read 952,726 times
I would suggest asking your agent if they have someone else in the office than can show it to you sooner than later. And if that isn't possible then ask your agent if they can contact the seller's agent and make arrangements for you to see it.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I agree I would ask the office for another realtor, or as a last resort call the seller's realtor and just let them know you want to view he property, but already have a buyer's realtor.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
You shouldn't have to do anything. Your agent should have given you an alternative in the sentence after telling you they couldn't show it for 4 days.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
If a house just went on the market that I'm interested in, but my realtor cannot show me the house for 4 days, can I call the sellers realtor to schedule a viewing? I don't want to miss out on the house....
Yes. However, make certain the listing agent understands that you already have Buyer's representation and give the name of your agent. The listing Realtor has a fiduciary duty to the Seller to show interested/qualified perspective buyers.

Understand that you should not give to the listing agent any confidential information that could be passes along to the Seller and work against you in future negotiations should you decide to make an offer. Similarly, the listing agent only has to disclose to you the material facts about the property.

If you have a signed Buyers' Agency agreement with an Realtor, and when your own agent is not able to show properties for multiple days, he/she should have another agent available from that office to be of assistance to you!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:21 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Maybe the seller doesn't want it shown for 4 days for some reason, possibly they wanted to get it into MLS prior to this weekend and get showing appointments lined up if you are in a busy market area. They may have family obligations, might be doing some repairs or painting, having the carpeting shampooed, may have company for the weekend, etc. ..... any number of reasons.

Per the previous advice, tell the seller's agent up front that you have a buyer's agent and bring along your agent's business card to the showing. Even if your agent cannot physically show the property, he/she should be able to at least make a phone call to the seller's agent and introduce you.

We are assuming that your agent did not give a reason why he, or someone from his office cannot show the home to you for 4 days?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You shouldn't have to do anything. Your agent should have given you an alternative in the sentence after telling you they couldn't show it for 4 days.
Totally agree. Since it is just one house, those are easy to squeeze in between clients if need be. If the agent is out of town someone should be covering for them.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
There is a possibility that the commission to the buyer's agent for that property is very low and your agent just does not want you to buy this house. I would try to contact the seller agent and carefully find out what is going on.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Bingo!!!!!

4 days is a long time to wait.
And there should have been an alternative offered.
The fact that your Realtor expects you to just wait 4 days,
Is the biggest reason to.......

Get a new Realtor.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:03 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
There is a possibility that the commission to the buyer's agent for that property is very low and your agent just does not want you to buy this house.
I'm not in the business but I suspect most RE agents would rather have less money sooner than wait for more money later. Sooner = less labor. Also, a sure thing now is better than a possibility later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate