Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
We found an agent we we wanted to use to sell our home and they are charging 6% commission.... BUT they are only going to pay the buyer's agent 2.5%. Is that normal? I thought it was usually a 50/50 split. Will this deter other real estate companies/agents from showing our home?

What explanation did they give you for doing that? Generally I split 50/50 and will sometimes offer out more to the selling agent especially in this market. It is the seller that determines what they will pay and to which agent....you are in control. Ask why and then ask what happens if they sell it themselves. Will they take less? Make sure it is all written into the contract. Could be they think they already have a buyer in mind for the place, but in a saturated market like today, I would definately ask them what the advantage is to YOU to have the split the way they have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:38 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
What explanation did they give you for doing that? Generally I split 50/50 and will sometimes offer out more to the selling agent especially in this market. It is the seller that determines what they will pay and to which agent....you are in control. Ask why and then ask what happens if they sell it themselves. Will they take less? Make sure it is all written into the contract. Could be they think they already have a buyer in mind for the place, but in a saturated market like today, I would definately ask them what the advantage is to YOU to have the split the way they have it.
Seller is not really in control. The buyer is and to a lesser degreethe buyer's agent. The seller's "control" space is very limited. If the seller does not meet certain requirements of the buyer's agent and buyer it does not sell.

Does the seller wish to set commissions and price? Or does the seller want to sell the house?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM

200 posts, read 877,953 times
Quote:
No explanation. We just happened to notice it in the contract as we were filling it out. We had just assumed since it was 6% it would be split 50/50. It seemed tricky to me. I don't want other agents keeping buyers away from our home b/c of that.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:
No explanation. We just happened to notice it in the contract as we were filling it out. We had just assumed since it was 6% it would be split 50/50. It seemed tricky to me. I don't want other agents keeping buyers away from our home b/c of that.
If it's not what you want then i would be upfront about it and say that you want it split 50/50.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Seller is not really in control. The buyer is and to a lesser degreethe buyer's agent. The seller's "control" space is very limited. If the seller does not meet certain requirements of the buyer's agent and buyer it does not sell.

Does the seller wish to set commissions and price? Or does the seller want to sell the house?

The seller is in absolute control of anything that is put into a contract they are looking at signing. If that is a listing contract, they are in control of what commission they will pay and how it gets split. If they don't like what is in the contract, they don't sign it. It either gets corrected to what they want to offer or they find another agent. That is called control.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Then I would call and ask why the agent thinks it is to *your* advantage to have the commission split that way. I'm wondering why they weren't either at your home with you explaining everything in the contract or on the phone with you asking if you had questions. If you really think that it was 'tricky', underhanded or that they weren't being up front with you, I strongly suggest you rethink listing with them. If you do not have confidence in them from the get go what is the point of hiring them?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The seller is in absolute control of anything that is put into a contract they are looking at signing. If that is a listing contract, they are in control of what commission they will pay and how it gets split. If they don't like what is in the contract, they don't sign it. It either gets corrected to what they want to offer or they find another agent. That is called control.
You think the goal of the endeavour is signing a contract? I don't. I think it is selling a house.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
I will stay on topic... I find that practise to be despicable, underhanded and downright gross, and too some degree negligent Especially in this market. If anything your listing agent should be offering more to the selling agent to help incent them to show and sell your home. The listing agent is your Fiduciary... they need to put your interests first... tell them you want it changed AND that you want to see the final MLS listing that only agents see that show the % offered.

Just gets me riled up when I see that kind of stuff!!

Shelly

Old 07-28-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I will stay on topic... I find that practise to be despicable, underhanded and downright gross, and too some degree negligent Especially in this market. If anything your listing agent should be offering more to the selling agent to help incent them to show and sell your home. The listing agent is your Fiduciary... they need to put your interests first... tell them you want it changed AND that you want to see the final MLS listing that only agents see that show the % offered.

Just gets me riled up when I see that kind of stuff!!

Shelly
Settle down dawlink...it is standard practice in some areas. Real Estate is local.

When the buyers agents rise...and throw off the yoke of the listing agents... it will be a better world! Liberty and Justice will triumph!

And I also understand hell will free over just after NYC starts using an MLS.

Or is that just before?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
LOL, you are right Olecapt. I just go so darn upset when i see that. Guess what my MLS is doing, which I LOVE. The new listing contract has to SPELL out what kind of service the consumer will get depending on their representation. So, if the consumer is listing with a limited representation, they will have it listed on the contract what they will and what they won't do. I think that is going to be great. I have heard some sad stories about consumers not really understanding what they were getting into. Only to find out too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate