Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

191 posts, read 945,885 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to start looking at condos in the next few months. Are there any things I should be specifically looking at when I walk through a home? Should I be looking in cabinets, inspecting lights to make sure they work, checking for "hidden" damages, etc? I always feel like homes are staged to hide the less desirable portions of the home, so I'm not sure how meticulous to be in my inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:43 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsaroad View Post
So I'm going to start looking at condos in the next few months. Are there any things I should be specifically looking at when I walk through a home? Should I be looking in cabinets, inspecting lights to make sure they work, checking for "hidden" damages, etc? I always feel like homes are staged to hide the less desirable portions of the home, so I'm not sure how meticulous to be in my inspection.
Plumbing, roof, utilities, water pressure, roof, cracks in foundation, a myriad of things. Don't look at the furniture or the decorating, it can be distracting. Is the property clean? well maintained? are the windows in good condition? is the basement damp? moldy?

All of these things and more... but if you don't have any knowledge of what is good or bad about the above, it won't matter. You will need to have a reputable home inspector check the property you decide to buy regardless, and he will go through the house with you and point out what you need to know. In 99% of the states you will need a "disclosure" form from the seller stating to his knowledge what is wrong, right, updated, or what improvements/repairs have been made.

Rely on a responsible buyer's agent with longevity in the business to help you along.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM

447 posts, read 1,619,186 times
Look at the HVAC unit. Even condos will have their own unit depending on the type of building. That could end up being your biggest expense if you need a new one. An inspector should check out the hvac unit during your home inspection, but I'd also have a hvac person specifically check it out if the inspector says it isn't working properly.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
There are some excellent posts on another thread regarding home inspectors. For me, it is worth the cost to have several inspectors/contractors such as for heating, electrical, chimney... as that way you get balanced opinions. There are professional organizations you can check with to find qualified people.

If you are interested in condos, be sure to check out the financial health of the HOA (Financial Inspection) before you do anything as some of them are in a lot trouble these days. Our HOA fees have jumped nearly $200/mo since we bought ours so have an independent person take a close look at their books.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Unless it was something painfully obvious, I really wasn't looking for "damage" when I viewed houses. I left that to the home inspector. We looked at things like layout, updates, size, yard,etc. Things that would determine if we wanted to live in the house, not so much what the condition of the house was.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Check out the Pennsylvania Condo act and determine if the association has been certified for financing.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 PM

218 posts, read 798,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless it was something painfully obvious, I really wasn't looking for "damage" when I viewed houses. I left that to the home inspector. We looked at things like layout, updates, size, yard,etc. Things that would determine if we wanted to live in the house, not so much what the condition of the house was.
That was our view as well. We only looked at single family homes so we did take care in the basements to look for evidence of water or water damage but for the most part focused on if we could actually live in the home and the general condition rather than damage.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:02 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Check outlets and lights. When I bought my home they put in some ceiling lights but had no electric connected to them, put in a few outlets the same way.

Look in cabinets, if they are nicer cabinets maybe check to see if they are really nice cabinets or if they are old crappy ones that had the new faces put on.

Check water pressure, check wood under sinks and vanities to look for evidence of leaks

Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Quote:
Yes, you need to check all of those. But, you will not have the time, or expertise to check everything. I think as a Buyer you need to check important things like room sizes, closet sizes, age and condition of appliances (be sure to document appliance serial #s and anything of value that may disappear), neighbors, noise, crime, HOA and any obvious damage inside and out.

Hire a certified inspector to check plumbing, test heating/AC, roof, windows doors, and all the mechanical items. Do not skimp on an inspector.

Make sure you contract is contingent upon inspections and perform your due diligence during the inspection period.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Look at the roof. are there any damaged shingles or tiles?

Ceilings, any water stains?

Windows, any water stains? If most of the windows have major water stains, might be defective windows.

Look underneath sinks, any water stains?

Abnormal structural cracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate