Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

20 posts, read 87,841 times

Advertisements

Listen to the author. He seems to insist that buying a house is the most ridiculous thing you can do with your money.

why i am never going to own a home again: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscovpn View Post
Listen to the author. He seems to insist that buying a house is the most ridiculous thing you can do with your money.

why i am never going to own a home again: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
Don't trust anyone who has one answer for everyone. One size never fits all.
If you want to buy, buy.
If you don't want to buy, don't.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
What cracks me up he goes on and on about how owning is a terrible investment that has had a traditionally low return, then completely forgets to mention that renting has no return on capital at all, none, zip, nada. What a fruitcake. He also looks young enough to be living with his parents!

Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
I won't buy a home either. I'll build my own home, literally.

The notion that a home is an investment is foolish and has caused many of our current problems. A home is precisely that: a home. I fail to see where a place you don't own and have no control over and generally little privacy, on top of the fact that you may be forced to leave at the whim of the owner, can ever truly be a "home" to a person. Renting is foolish unless you're in a place only temporarily or trying out a new location. But then it seems people are largely stupid, lazy, anti-self-reliant, materialistic and short-sighted. I've often told people around me the following: I'd rather own a one room cabin I build for next to nothing on a few acres, than to rent a mansion. If people would buy or build what they could afford instead of feeling they need another 5,000 square feet and the latest gadgets, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in economically.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Bascailly not everyoen can afford a home,. Historically homeownership has been baut 65% accordig to governamnt and gotten larger in recent years until the crisis.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,416 times
The guys a moron. Yes, people have lost money on their homes. However, many others have built a fortune on real estate.

Everyone needs a place to live anyways. Answer this question:

WHO HAS EVER GOTTEN RICH FROM RENTING?

ZERO. There you go.

Moron.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Easy now - when I hit lotto while renting, I'll have gotten rich while renting. Wait... we're all rich on an anonymous internet forum. So, check that. I'm already rich.

It's not hard to make a case against buying for profit. It's like picking on your little Sister. Not a fair fight. The title speaking in absolutes makes me not want to even read it. "Why I may never own a home again" might get a click from me.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Easy now - when I hit lotto while renting, I'll have gotten rich while renting. Wait... we're all rich on an anonymous internet forum. So, check that. I'm already rich.

It's not hard to make a case against buying for profit. It's like picking on your little Sister. Not a fair fight. The title speaking in absolutes makes me not want to even read it. "Why I may never own a home again" might get a click from me.
Absolutes are the enemy of reason and thought.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
What cracks me up he goes on and on about how owning is a terrible investment that has had a traditionally low return, then completely forgets to mention that renting has no return on capital at all, none, zip, nada. What a fruitcake. He also looks young enough to be living with his parents!
This.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,512 times
If one leads a lifestyle where one is a rolling stone who gets restless every few years and just has to go somewhere else then renting makes that easier because an expensive asset like a house is going to be harder to get out of.

In addition, if your neighborhood starts going bad and you're a renter you just move. This isn't so easy to do when you're a homeowner.

HOWEVER, let's look at Las Vegas, where housing prices are now below rental parity. If you just gotta live in Vegas and you want to do it for at least ten years then it is more financially prudent to buy and you have more control over your living environment (for example, if something needs to be repaired you know it will get done because you will have to do it yourself). Beats paying into the landlord's mortgage or his profits (if he owns his property free and clear). When you rented you were already paying for your landlord's property tax, sewer and garbage and insurance. So that part of it is all a wash anyway.

But again, if your neighborhood begins to "transition," as the pc euphemism has it, then you may find yourself in a position where you're screwed. Like in all things in life, these decisions have to be carefully weighed and managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate