Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM

23,792 posts, read 33,271,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
You are reading the problem RIGHT HERE. And I don't mean to insult but come one, that really is pretty pathetic. You can't be bothered to PAINT?

I am certainly not meaning to insult you, and I have talked to several agents and this always comes up as a problem. A lot of People are just unwilling to do ANYTHING to a house.

Seriously I can't even imagine really liking a house and then passing it up because something as easily fixable as paint color.

I on the other hand can't imagine putting something Soft and Neutral on a wall. Yuck.

I agree... I don't want to have to repaint either; not to move my stuff in. I'd like to move in and paint in my spare time. Primary colors don't work with my stuff, simple as that. Sure painting is "easy", but depending on what paint you buy you could be blowing a lot of money. Benjamine Moore paint is double the price per gallon then Behr, which is what I just used on our master. We just repainted every room in our house that's for sale, took me from March until June. It was a lot of work moving stuff, patching, cleaning up for the night.

I really haven't found any homes that were that great that I'd be willing to spend the time to prime & paint. We're looking into new construction and know we will get white walls. I can live with that until I'm able to paint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,153,984 times
Quote:
I really haven't found any homes that were that great that I'd be willing to spend the time to prime & paint.
IF painting is the only problem I have, I'll buy the house and have it painted.

(Can't be a DIY project anymore ) Liz

Old 07-30-2007, 12:58 PM

107 posts, read 282,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
IF painting is the only problem I have, I'll buy the house and have it painted.

(Can't be a DIY project anymore ) Liz

Well said!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:15 PM

13,369 posts, read 28,610,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
You are reading the problem RIGHT HERE. And I don't mean to insult but come one, that really is pretty pathetic. You can't be bothered to PAINT?

I am certainly not meaning to insult you, and I have talked to several agents and this always comes up as a problem. A lot of People are just unwilling to do ANYTHING to a house.

Seriously I can't even imagine really liking a house and then passing it up because something as easily fixable as paint color.

I on the other hand can't imagine putting something Soft and Neutral on a wall. Yuck.
No I can't....don't have the time or the inclination and I'm certainly not going to buy a house and pay someone to paint it for me......there are lots and lots of houses on the market right now..I will find either new or a resale that I don't need to have to clean & paint.

I've readied my home for sale..new windows, new siding, new roof, new front porch.
The inside will now be painted and recarpeted.

Take a look at Realtor.com...........look at some of the pictures
Ghastly paint, clutter all over the place...nope I just click on the next one

Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I agree... I don't want to have to repaint either; not to move my stuff in. I'd like to move in and paint in my spare time. Primary colors don't work with my stuff, simple as that. Sure painting is "easy", but depending on what paint you buy you could be blowing a lot of money. Benjamine Moore paint is double the price per gallon then Behr, which is what I just used on our master. We just repainted every room in our house that's for sale, took me from March until June. It was a lot of work moving stuff, patching, cleaning up for the night.

I really haven't found any homes that were that great that I'd be willing to spend the time to prime & paint. We're looking into new construction and know we will get white walls. I can live with that until I'm able to paint.
We must think alike.....I will not move in and unpack and have to paint and spackle and clean up after someone else...

Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Oh don't get me started on this...

I will have buyers, we want to live in this sought after school district. great, here are the homes located in that district. But they are all older, where are the new houses? They are in the not so desireable school district.... at your home price. Ok, we'll take it anyway. What? Shiny and New!!

And I have a clue for those folks buying new: You will paint. Builders grade navajo white paint gets REAL old. and you will have to put in a yard, landscaping- extremely expensive. and you will make changes to your new perfect home- shock. and all those windows will need window coverings TODAY - not as time permits.

Using a primer over red paint? that is easy compared to what you will need to do get your home ready to live in!!

Shelly
Well maybe it's something indicitive of the North east.....realtor told me what to do to make house sellable I at least expect the same in return....
Oh and new houses...you can pick your paint color if you buy at pre construction, which is what i would do thereby allowing me to pick certain options I may want

Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,969 times
Quote:
We must think alike.....I will not move in and unpack and have to paint and spackle and clean up after someone else...
Just curious, if two identical homes for sale, except one is 5 years older. Paint color is hideous in older home, however, it is priced at $80/sq ft. House B is brand new, priced at $100/sq ft. Which one are you going to pick?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,349,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
Just curious, if two identical homes for sale, except one is 5 years older. Paint color is hideous in older home, however, it is priced at $80/sq ft. House B is brand new, priced at $100/sq ft. Which one are you going to pick?
The older home because no way does paint cost $20/sq ft. Allowing for depreciation (or is it appreciation <smile>), I still think that the older home is the better deal.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,153,984 times
Quote:
Oh and new houses...you can pick your paint color if you buy at pre construction,
Sometimes...

That could be considered an upgrade. It costs extra to do since to paint it all "builder beige" is so much cheaper then painting rooms different colors. They can just go in with a sprayer and paint the walls in a hurry than to paint each room a different color. Liz

Old 07-30-2007, 05:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,292,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Sometimes...

That could be considered an upgrade. It costs extra to do since to paint it all "builder beige" is so much cheaper then painting rooms different colors. They can just go in with a sprayer and paint the walls in a hurry than to paint each room a different color. Liz
Agreed, paint is a big upcharge for builders. And a custom paint job isn't even an option with many builders. You could let 'em paint it builders beige, or white, or whatever, and after closing have it professionally repainted before you moved in at a fraction of the cost.

Of course, I'd do it myself. Paint is less that $25/gallon. Why would I pay someone $$$$ when I can do it myself? I'd rather save the money and take a vacation or buy some new furniture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate