Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times

Advertisements

If you are trying to get the sense of a local housing market, is realtor.com a reasonably good way to do it?

Obviously seeing the houses in person is far more useful, but if you're prospecting from a distance and trying to decide whether you should focus on one town in an area versus another, will you get a reasonably good idea about their price and housing differences from realtor.com?

Are most of the houses for sale in an average town listed on that site? Does it vary a lot from place to place?

Is some other web site a better choice for what I'm describing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
I am not a realtor, but I have found Realtor.com very useful in the past. I use it in conjunction with Zillow. The "Zestimates" on Zillow are usually moderately below market value, however, they have a very useful map that shows the approximate value of homes in the same neighborhood as well as other sales in the area. This can often give you a good idea how a neighborhood is performing.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM

30 posts, read 64,223 times
Realtor.com uses the MLS database, and therefore displays every home for sale, outside of FSBOs. Realtor.com will be the most up-to-date home listing site available.

You may also find Trulia and Zillow useful to get additional information on individual homes, or town trends. Zillow estimates (zestimates) can be hit or miss though, but the site contains useful information nonetheless.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
This thread is not really related to Connecticut so I am moving it to the Real Estate Board. JayCT, Moderator

Old 03-28-2011, 03:00 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
It's not great because closed properties are removed but it can help give you a general sense of price at least.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
There are a lot of "ghost" listings that have already sold but not removed.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:49 AM

265 posts, read 952,819 times
In our market REALTOR.com tends to be a bit out of date for listing statuses. Many times listings are under contract but there is a big delay between an agent updating the information in our MLS and REALTOR.com pulling the information from its feeds.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:28 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
If you are trying to get the sense of a local housing market, is realtor.com a reasonably good way to do it?

Obviously seeing the houses in person is far more useful, but if you're prospecting from a distance and trying to decide whether you should focus on one town in an area versus another, will you get a reasonably good idea about their price and housing differences from realtor.com?

Are most of the houses for sale in an average town listed on that site? Does it vary a lot from place to place?

Is some other web site a better choice for what I'm describing?
While not perfect, unless you are pulling active listing data directly from the MLS in the market you are searching, for online feel of the local market Realtor dot com is about as good as it gets. Of course, the data in Realtor dot com is only as good as the agent who enters it. Those who market properly with it and are members (paying a fee) have more info. posted about the listings.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I pretty much hate their new site. The only way I can use it anymore is from their iPhone app, and even it kinda sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate